TurboMinivan's 1998 Wrangler Sport build thread

Since my Jeep is about to undergo a major transformation, I decided it might be time to make a thread about it. I'll begin with the background information. I purchased it back in October 2010; it was stone stock... and in need of some TLC. At the time, I already owned a 1997 Wrangler SE:

jeeps2.jpg

As I explained it to my wife, this purchase was the easy way to simultaneously upgrade to the 4.0L engine, the Dana44 rear axle, and also get fewer miles on the odometer (SE had 94k; the Sport had only 82k). The Sport cost me just $1500 more than I got selling the SE, so I felt I did okay with this swap.

My ultimate goal was to put the Sport on 35" tires, but prudence required me to stay close to stock for a while. The Sport's bald tires failed safety inspection, so for mod #1 I simply swapped over the whole set (wheels and all) of nearly-new 31" MT/Rs from the SE. The top was in very poor shape, so mod #2 consisted of a BesTop Replace-A-Top. Because I absolutely hated the horrid aftermarket front bumper, replacing it with a sturdy ProComp one (and swiping the front tow hooks off the SE) was mod #3. It had only been a week, but already the Jeep felt substantially improved to me:

98tj.jpg

Not content with being such a low rider, I soon installed a budget boost. I knew this would be temporary, but it was cheap and it made me feel less bad about taking it off pavement. This caused me to rethink the whole modification strategy; I decided adding some armor now would be a wise precaution. First to go on were Rock Hard sliders, then a steering box skid plate, then a front diff skid plate, then a rear SmittyBilt SRC Classic rear bumper and Pure Jeep gas tank skid (installed at the same time since both operations required dropping the gas tank). I had a pair of TeraFlex quick disconnects for the front sway bar sitting in my garage, so they were put on; I also had a bikini and duster lying around for 3-season use. Most recently, I had the roll cage strengthened for improved protection.

And thus we arrive at it's current configuration (modified roll cage not shown here):

mascara1.jpg

gasskid2.jpg

Thanks primarily to all the armor, I am not afraid to use this Jeep. For example, I've run most of Constrictor (turning around just before Radiator Rapids) and I've played around out at Little Moab. Speaking of LM, here I am coming over the second (lesser) breakover with a couple feet of air under the right rear:

98_lm2b.jpg

I was willing to head out to the Rubicon Trail in this configuration, and that was indeed my plan. To reduce the odds of me being a liability to the group, I had decided to install an Air Locker in the tail as an insurance policy of sorts. I bought it a couple weeks ago, along with a Tuffy rear security enclosure; these are still waiting to be installed. But then an interesting thing happened--which I've already mentioned in this forum--and my wife greenlighted me to go ahead and mod the Jeep. So now I am going to install a whole lot of hardware:

- Air Lockers front & rear
- 4.56 gears
- 35" BFG KM2s
- Ultra 15x8 alloy wheels
- TeraFlex 4" lift with long arm upgrade
- TeraFlex Extreme short shaft kit
- rear CV driveshaft

I have already purchased the tires, wheels and all the TeraFlex hardware. Tomorrow I will order the second Air Locker and all the ring & pinion hardware. John (at Gaylon's Drivelines) is ready to make the driveshaft just as soon as I can get him the proper dimensions. Once I have everything, all I need is for Matt's schedule to open up so we can get started. (He had already agreed to install the locker for me; now he's getting much more than he bargained for.) As of this moment, the plan is for us to get started on July 16th or so.

I'll have to post more photos once we make some progress.

Team1k

Hmm. What he didnt mention is while i was standing there having a discussion with him(aka thought i was distracting him) he got the carrier installed, shimmed, and the gear pattern set perfectly on the first try.

Just cant mess with the best :)

Some more updates Pretty much done except for the incorrect Tie Rod that came in so other than that is is pretty AWESOME

Front Diff Pics

View attachment 74620 View attachment 74621

Pattern looks pretty good

View attachment 74622

Good time to upgrade HUH?

View attachment 74623

Bart

Matt pretty much did the same thing with the rear 44. It was cool.

Hmm. What he didnt mention is while i was standing there having a discussion with him(aka thought i was distracting him) he got the carrier installed, shimmed, and the gear pattern set perfectly on the first try.

Just cant mess with the best :)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What he didnt mention is while i was standing there having a discussion with him(aka thought i was distracting him) he got the carrier installed, shimmed, and the gear pattern set perfectly on the first try.

Matt pretty much did the same thing with the rear 44. It was cool.

Wow, I sure am glad to have good friends like you guys that constantly keep Matt on his toes while he's working on my rig. :rofl:

I can't wait to get it back this week.

Team1k

It helps i grew up 4 houses away :)

I stop by now and then to pester Matt with my incessant questions about my pitiful projects.

I told him im like a stray animal. You feed me once and i keep coming around for more :)

Wow, I sure am glad to have good friends like you guys that constantly keep Matt on his toes while he's working on my rig. :rofl:

I can't wait to get it back this week.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I finally hauled my junk off of Matt's property last night:

b4align.jpg

After work tonight I will swap to the 35" tires and wheels. From there, I need to finish making preparations to run the Hanging Tree Trail next weekend; job #1 is to relocate my spare tire carrier so I can actually haul my 35" spare. (I have an elegant idea for this; I just hope it will work.)

Anybody wanna go wheeling? :D If so, check my thread in the Northern Utah subforum.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I finally installed my new tires:

newtires.jpg

I had to try it out, so Monday night a group of us headed for Forest Lake. A mere 25 feet after engaging 4WD, I put one front tire on the first rock in my path... and I heard a loud ping! as the left swaybar disconnect bolt ripped out of its threads and went shooting off into the dirt beside me. I had to stop, borrow some tools and completely remove the links. After that, some bailing wire held the swaybar out of the way for the rest of the trip as well as the drive home.

swaybolt.jpg

I called Tera this morning to discuss the component failure. Sam basically told me, "the new style links aren't designed to remain connected when you flex the suspension." At least he's giving me new replacement parts. While I genuinely appreciate that, it still doesn't solve the problem of getting the bushings off the damn pins. I better figure something out quick.

kellerexpress

I'm not really a fan of the new sway bar link design, sure didn't take much to get them to break last night. Hopefully you figure out a solution to get them to work well. At least they got you some new parts in a timely manner.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've made more modifications to the Jeep, but I didn't think of mentioning it here until now.

Late last fall, I went up to Mineral Basin with my neighbor Ryan (dash). We went all the way to the top. Just as we started to head down, I broke my left upper control arm mount on the rear axle. It didn't separate from the axle; it broke in half. For those who don't know, this mount holds not only the upper control arm to the axle, it is also where the track bar attaches to the axle. This meant I got to drive all the way out to Tibble Fork with no track bar to hold the axle in place. That was fun.

Anyway, I trailered it to Matt to form a plan. I asked him, "Is there anything I ought to consider doing now?" He replied, "well, you're already in it a couple hundred bucks just to repair it... but if you ever wanted to triangulate the rear upper arms, now would be the time." I admit I have wanted to ditch the stock upper arms--not only for a little more flex, but also to stretch the wheelbase an inch or so--so I took his advice and ordered the Tera hardware.

And that's how/why I ended up triangulating the rear axle.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
And no more rear track bar to bother with! I assume you had to re-do part of your exhaust to make clearance for the links and brackets?

Cascadia

Undecided
Sounds like one of my memories. I broke the same mount on the same trail. Drove down to tibble fork. Ratchet strapped the axle somewhat in place. I already had the rubicon express long arm kit on it. I took it up to Ben Hanks and they triangulated it for me. I had my exhaust done at Ricks Muffler when I did the long arm. He said I'm guessing you'll triangulate this some day so I'll set your exhaust up for it now. I didn't have to change a thing when I finally triangulated it. My lj worked so much better after the triangulation.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I assume you had to re-do part of your exhaust to make clearance for the links and brackets?

Correct. I took it to Rick's Muffler, of course. We cut out the Magnaflow oval muffler (OEM size) I used to have, replaced it with a compact Magnaflow bullet muffler, then made a custom tailpipe carefully shaped to clear the new upper arm. It turned out beautifully, of course. It is significantly louder now, but not excessively so in my opinion--I like it.

I'll have to get some photos to post here.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I broke the same mount on the same trail. Drove down to tibble fork. Ratchet strapped the axle somewhat in place.

That reminds me--when I discovered the failure, I instantly came up with the same band-aid solution: ratchet straps. So I opened the back of my TJ to get them out. That was when I discovered they were not in my Jeep but were instead in my Suburban... back at home. :(

The tales we all have to tell.