turn signal wiring???

kruzr69

Not really 4x4 related, but it is in a 6x6 Freightliner tractor. It is a M916A1 military tractor. The turn signals come on but do not flash, I cannot find a flasher anywhere on it or in the manuals. The wiring schematic really sucks, it has most of it but it is broken down into little sections instead of one big overall diagram. I have been switching parts out of another truck that works and havent found anything bad yet.
Is it possible to have turn signals wired without a flasher, and if it is how does it work?
I have searched the net and not found anything usefull. Thought maybe someone here might have experiance with this.
Thanks
Tony

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
kruzr69 said:
Not really 4x4 related, but it is in a 6x6 Freightliner tractor. It is a M916A1 military tractor. The turn signals come on but do not flash, I cannot find a flasher anywhere on it or in the manuals. The wiring schematic really sucks, it has most of it but it is broken down into little sections instead of one big overall diagram. I have been switching parts out of another truck that works and havent found anything bad yet.
Is it possible to have turn signals wired without a flasher, and if it is how does it work?
I have searched the net and not found anything usefull. Thought maybe someone here might have experiance with this.
Thanks
Tony

I have seen on several rigs where the turn signals wouldn't flash because the lights weren't drawing enough current or a light was out. Most flashers that I have worked on require a certain amount of current flow to trigger the flasher. If you have used LED type lights that don't draw enough current or have the tail light swapped with the brake light (I did this once) it won't flash.
Dave

kruzr69

DaveB said:
I have seen on several rigs where the turn signals wouldn't flash because the lights weren't drawing enough current or a light was out. Most flashers that I have worked on require a certain amount of current flow to trigger the flasher. If you have used LED type lights that don't draw enough current or have the tail light swapped with the brake light (I did this once) it won't flash.
Dave
It was worth a shot, the front bulbs were different in the truck that works. But I switched them and still got nothing.

kruzr69

The flasher is in the modulator assembly, the little black box in the dash that has all the warning lights and turn signal indicators in it. I replaced that and it works.

Ford Prefect

kruzr69 said:
The flasher is in the modulator assembly, the little black box in the dash that has all the warning lights and turn signal indicators in it. I replaced that and it works.

HA Darn! A day late and a dallor short... I was just going to say that it has a flash cube in the dash mounted fuse box! HAHA I had the flasher go out on my Mack Truck once, replaced the flash, and it still did not work. Turned out that the new flash we got was messed up too, just needed a third flasher, but we were digging in the guts of that truck for weeks trying to figure it out...

Cheers!

OH and with anything to do with that truck, just call a Freightliner dealer and they typically will be happy to give you free advice, and if not call another dealer because the one you talked with was a jerk...

:)

kruzr69

Ford Prefect said:
HA Darn! A day late and a dallor short... I was just going to say that it has a flash cube in the dash mounted fuse box! HAHA I had the flasher go out on my Mack Truck once, replaced the flash, and it still did not work. Turned out that the new flash we got was messed up too, just needed a third flasher, but we were digging in the guts of that truck for weeks trying to figure it out...

Cheers!

OH and with anything to do with that truck, just call a Freightliner dealer and they typically will be happy to give you free advice, and if not call another dealer because the one you talked with was a jerk...

:)
I had emailed Freightliner and by the time they got back to me i had figured it out. They are still going to send me their schematics for it though. I just hope they are different than the ones in our military manuals.