Ty's Offroad/Scout Trailer Build!!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I thought I would start a build thread for my trailer build!!

I picked this ugly ass trailer from my boss for the right price ($0.00) with the intentions of building a trailer I can put my camp/offroad gear in and leave it!! It will also be used to accommodate scouting activities.

LIKE I SAID IT IS UGLY but that is about to change.

I started tearing it down yesterday afternoon

Plan for now is to cut the parts that he added off, reinforce the tongue, sand it down and paint it. My dad has a set of wheels with 33's on them that he is going to give me. Once I get that done I will attack the box. I will probably leave the shape and size. After I clean the old paint off I will see it the wood is salvageable. If not I will step across the street and grab some scrap wood from a new home that my buddy is building. Then paint it and mount it to the frame!!

Let the tear down begin!!

Then I had to go to work :x

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
From what you have already done, you are only a few short pieces of metal from starting completely over. Why not use the axle and springs, and build with all new metal instead of trying to piece it back together with old stuff? It seems like you would be ahead time wise, and it would be made exactly as desired..

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
From what you have already done, you are only a few short pieces of metal from starting completely over. Why not use the axle and springs, and build with all new metal instead of trying to piece it back together with old stuff? It seems like you would be ahead time wise, and it would be made exactly as desired..

Very good question!! So the point where it is now is where I want it. What I have cut off is all after thought additions. The frame as it is is back to where is was originally built. All I am doing from here is adding a little support to the tongue and painting it. Then I will begin prepping the box.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I might be able to get a picture with the tires on! That's about all that's changed. I broke the out put shaft on my 4runner and went back to work on it. Now i need to start back on the trailer. I'm to the point now where i don't know what direction to go with it. I really like the one you built, but my dad just built one that i like to. Niether one any thing like what i planned but i don't know what i want at this point.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I have worked super hard on this for the past 7 months and this is what I have accomplished!!

I'm trying to decide what direction to go with it. Right now I Lean more towards something similar to Carls. But if I had the money and time I really like how my dad did his.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Yup, I've still got this!!! I decide that since I have spent all my money fixing the runner, I am going to keep this as is for a while. I mounted the ugly box back on the frame. Now I need to pull the little box off the front, scrape the old paint off and put a new fresh coat on. I also want to build a hitch extension for it, but we will see.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Worked on this a little tonight.

Got the ugly little box pulled off the front and it already looks a little better A LITTLE!!

Dropped the big box back on the ground and started cutting some steel to reinforce the tongue.

I was watching Tenley so welding was out of the question. I was able to come into work early and cut some other stuff in our fab shop. I don't like how the box mounts to the trailer so I'm going to fab a frame to weld between the box and frame and mount it solid, no bolts. I'm also going to cut the big pointy spare tire mount off the front and mount an old Jeep swing out carrier on the back that will help even the weight a little and act as a latch for the back door.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Fiddle around the trailer for a bit Friday.

Reinforced the tongue.

Spent some time on the swivel hitch.

Built some mounts for my high lift.

My dad donated a spare tire and a swing out carrier.

Now that I spent all that time building the sub frame, I don't think I will use it. It is already pretty tall and that will only make it about 4" taller. At that point I don't know how safe it is and if I can get my fat butt in it to get stuff.

I'm sure if I would focus on one thing at a time I would get more accomplished, but that's where the ADD comes in!!

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Between watching Tenley and looking for a job I had a few moments to tinker this weekend. I got the hitch finished.

It might be a little overkill for as small of a trailer as it is, but who cares!!

I also got the box put back on and welded in place so that I can't change my mind of how I want to do it again. It is not welded solid enough to be functional yet, but good enough that I'm not going to go to the effort to cut it off.

Then I built some mounts for my tire carrier. I really need to get a vise!!