U4WDA Fall Convention

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Fall 4X4 Convention, Delta Utah, November 4, 2006

We will meet at the Fair Park starting at 8:00 a.m. all runs will leave at 9:00 a.m. Trail runs will consist of the following:

1- Amasa Basin- Rated 2 -2 ½ (unless we get a bad storm) stock vehicles or those that want a scenic route. Led by Dan Bringard.

2- Chain Saw- Rated 4+ – At least 33 in. tires & lockers front and rear- Led by Keith Shurtz

3- Cat Canyon- Rated 4+- Must have at least 33 in. Tires & lockers front & rear- Led by Todd & Linda Adams

4- Topaz Mountain – Rated 5+ Led by Craig Stump- Expect body damage and a little bit of everything

After the trail runs we will be serving food at the Sheriffs Posse Bld. The menu will be chili dogs, with all the trimmings (mustard, ketchup, onions, relish) potato chips, and hot chocolate. Cost will be $2.50 per plate. We will start serving at 5:30 p.m.

Those of you coming down early Fri. or staying weekend, are invited to try the new 4X4 course at the Fair Park for a $5.00 Donation. This money goes back to Millard County as they have really great to donate this land, time, machinery, and materials so we could set up this course and use it.

We would like a RSVP by Nov 1st. Please Let us know which trail you would like to run and how many plates of food you will be needing. Call Daynene at 801 942 3488

Last edited:

notajeep

Just me
I think that my father and I will be there. Is there a rig limit on the trails?
I have done cat canyon, and would like to try either chainsaw or topaz mountain. Is topaz Mt the one that was previously buggy only?
Can we please get a little bit more detailed description of he trails?

kkemp

I thought Chainsaw was a 3.5. I can believe it's 4+ based on the photos I've seen though. Todd, is there any chance of including a 3 to 4 rated trail? I've never been to Delta, except for passing through, so I have no idea what's available there.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
I think that my father and I will be there. Is there a rig limit on the trails?
I have done cat canyon, and would like to try either chainsaw or topaz mountain. Is topaz Mt the one that was previously buggy only?
Can we please get a little bit more detailed description of he trails?

I absolutely guarantee there will be carnage on that trail. If you like your sheet metal the way it is pick another trail. Otherwise… have fun.
Todd

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
I thought Chainsaw was a 3.5. I can believe it's 4+ based on the photos I've seen though. Todd, is there any chance of including a 3 to 4 rated trail? I've never been to Delta, except for passing through, so I have no idea what's available there.

The club originally had Chainsaw list as a 4 but since they also required 33’s and lockers both ends, I changed the ratting to 4+ which is what I would rate it. There are options on the trail that are more than that.
As for trails that would rate a 3 or 3+, I did not have any input to trail selection. You might want to ask when RSVP ing.
Todd

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
How would you compare topaz Mtn to other trails like pritchet, or pinnicle or constrictor?

To be honest with you I have only been on it once. There were a number of comp rigs and everyone on the trail were hard core folks. If I remember Carl was about the only one to make it out without some type of carnage. Craig tore a hole in his oil pan right at the start. Linda broke a front axle. BC let Becky drive the toy that Bart bought and rearranged the sheet metal on one side. We had a Bronco stuck on the top of a huge rock for a couple of hours. That is just to list some of what went on. Everyone has their opinion of how difficult a trail is but Craig named one of the trails New Helderado on the west side of Topaz and has expanded this trail system since I was out there.
Let me just say that anytime Craig leads a trail it is very hard core and for the folks that expect it.
Todd

Last edited:

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Looks like the Club (Notch Peak) has heard the requests for 3 to 3+ trails and are talking over some different routs so I will post them when I hear.
Todd

Craig S

Commando
Looks like the Club (Notch Peak) has heard the requests for 3 to 3+ trails and are talking over some different routs so I will post them when I hear.
Todd

At my web site www.winrock.us there are more complete trail descriptions of not only Delta, but other sites in Utah. I try to add info to the trail descriptions when I have time. If you have a trail not listed, please send info and I'll get it posted! Below is a little more info on delta trails:

Cat Canyon is really only a 4 rated trail. Open vehicles can get through with a little help in a cople of spots. The trail was much harder a few years ago, but it has worn in and doesn't make the 4+ in my opinion.

Chainsaw has one difficult obstacle, the Waterfall. The next most difficult obstacle is the Gauntlet. It is a real 4+ trail and does require a good vehicle or a pull to get over both of the hard obstacles.

New Helldorado, most of the difficult obstacles can be bypassed. The trail does live up to the 5 rating if all the obstacles are driven. Vehicles with 35s and lockers should be OK with a good spotter and driver, as long as you are aware that body damage may happen if you get off the line. Stock axles in Jeep vehicles may have problems. The next section of trail past New Helldorado is Hell's Backbone. This trail is very difficult and will damage any vehicles without extensive armor. Lockers and 37s are minimum for this area. There is a waterfall at the end that has never been climbed (it can be bypassed).

I hope this helps, please send any trail descriptions that you may have and I will put them on the WinRock site.

Thank You,
Craig Stumph

Lifelong Jeeper

Fall 4X4 Convention, Delta Utah, November 4, 2006

2- Chain Saw- Rated 4+ – At least 33 in. tires & lockers front and rear- Led by Keith Shurtz

3- Cat Canyon- Rated 4+- Must have at least 33 in. Tires & lockers front & rear- Led by Todd & Linda Adams

I have lockers front and rear and 33's and look forward to these trails, but my brother has 32's and open diffs. I would love to have him come along, but don't know how strict the lockers rule is. He is an excellent driver and is rarely out-done by us at Moab. What do you think?

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
I have lockers front and rear and 33's and look forward to these trails, but my brother has 32's and open diffs. I would love to have him come along, but don't know how strict the lockers rule is. He is an excellent driver and is rarely out-done by us at Moab. What do you think?

On either trail he would be dragged over most obstacles. As a trail leader I like to have things go as smooth as they can on difficult trails. Personally I usually don’t have a problem but if someone has continual problems on a trail that has restrictions, I usually take the brunt of many complaints. I think you see where I am heading with this. It is just not fair to everyone else on the trail and no matter where in line the lesser equipped vehicle is I can not move the entire group faster than the slowest vehicle.
Todd

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Hey. let's just keep that lil bit of trivia to ourselves huh?? I promised Bart that the Toy had never been abused..... :D

Actually, the last trial I ever ran in that was Heldorado (different trip). I had a score to settle with that trail. Let's just say the score is New Heldorado 2, BC zip! Slightly less body damage on the second try, but I made up for it in mechanical damage.

Craig tore a hole in his oil pan right at the start. Linda broke a front axle. BC let Becky drive the toy that Bart bought and rearranged the sheet metal on one side. We had a Bronco stuck on the top of a huge rock for a couple of hours. Todd

Lifelong Jeeper

On either trail he would be dragged over most obstacles. As a trail leader I like to have things go as smooth as they can on difficult trails. Personally I usually don’t have a problem but if someone has continual problems on a trail that has restrictions, I usually take the brunt of many complaints. I think you see where I am heading with this. It is just not fair to everyone else on the trail and no matter where in line the lesser equipped vehicle is I can not move the entire group faster than the slowest vehicle.
Todd

Thank you for your candor and I fully understand. We will just have to push him to get some lockers under that thing.