UCE3 - Utah Cruiser Expedition 3

Box Rocket

bored
Dave and Will followed them back to the highway and made sure they were safe and then headed toward Salt Lake City. My boys and I continued on the dirt trail across the desert toward Goblin Valley. Goblin Valley was pretty busy that day but it is a vast maze of rock formations so even if there is a lot of people there you can still feel completely alone.

We found a couple caves to explore and chased each other around in the maze for a while discussing how it would be an ideal place for a paintball battle.

Then we were back on the road and pavement toward I-70 and back to Salt Lake City and home.
It was an amazing trip. Having participated in a few of these trips with this group of guys we've been able to see places that many will never see in their lifetime. We've learned to overcome challenges as we've encountered countless obstacles on the hundreds of miles of trails we've driven. Having my sons with me on this trip was a real highlight and hopefully a memory that they'll have for a long time. All I do know is that it won't be the last time we have an experience like this. For me, it is worth whatever sacrifice is necessary to create these kinds of memories with my kids and hopefully teach them some life lessons in situations that are more than sitting at the kitchen table giving them a lecture.
It's these experiences that motivate me to work to keep public lands open not only to hiking and biking but to motorized travel. It just wouldn't be possible to experience the same challenges and see the variety of terrain and landscapes on a hike or while on a bike. I think that if those of us who enjoy exploring in our 4WD vehicles are careful and use the lands responsibly we can enjoy the sport and the memories and lessons it provides for years to come.
Off my soapbox. Hope you enjoyed the report. UCE3 is now complete.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love the Rock Corral. When I was with the BLM that was part of my field office. I'd make any excuse I could to go there.
Here's a different view of the south side of the road. Some pretty good climbing over there.

Thanks for sharing your trip, I've wanted to hit up a few of these roads for a while now.

Attachments

• blend.jpg
    blend.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 10

RogueJeepr

Here!
Cool report . Diggin the mud and winch sessions .
Im thinking of skipping moab for a few years and hitting Goblin valley (along with other places) .

LT.

This is an excellent write up. I do have one question though. I see that there were Toyota's with both the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar and with BF Goodrich KM2's. Which one faired better? Was there a tire that clearly did better or was it a toss up?

I hope that one day I will be able to get together with some of the folks on this board and doing some of these expedition type camping trips.

LT.

Box Rocket

bored
This is an excellent write up. I do have one question though. I see that there were Toyota's with both the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar and with BF Goodrich KM2's. Which one faired better? Was there a tire that clearly did better or was it a toss up?

I hope that one day I will be able to get together with some of the folks on this board and doing some of these expedition type camping trips.

LT.

We didn't do any intentional side by side test of the tires, but the long stretch of deep mud near Lund that paralleled the RR tracks was a good test. I was the only one to drive the entire length of that (1/4 mile?) mud hole without getting stuck or bailing out the side. My truck has the MTRs. Truthfully both tires are quite good IMO. I've had both on my Tacoma. My last set was the KM2s before I replaced them with the MTRs. From my experience the MTR is a better tire in all conditions except on hardpack snow/ice. Both tires have dismal performance on the hardpack snow/ice. The MTR is a bit more noisy on the road but everywhere I've ever had them offroad, I prefer the MTR over the KM2.