Uintas Campling Ideas

heavy18

XJNation
Want to take the family up in the motor home Thurs-Sat, kind of a last minute decision. I was thinking somewhere off Mirror Lake Highway, I would like to be near a pond/lake. I'm thinking it will be crowded this weekend at the camp sites, but there are a lot of places to camp around ponds that aren't official camp grounds - I'm just not that familiar with the area.

So, any ideas about a place a little out of the way but accessible by RV that won't be too crowded this weekend? (dirt roads are fine, a little bumpy even, but it is a motor home.)

Thanks.

heavy18

XJNation
Thanks, I hit DaveB up with a PM.

Looking at the map, I recall a trip we took with the scouts out to Beaver lake, I remember the road got a little bumpy at the end but I can't remember if it was such that the RV couldn't make it... Maybe we'll just head up there and play it by ear.

heavy18

XJNation
I used to camp up there many years ago. Got to crowded for my taste. Then I moved over to camping around the Mount Nebo area. With a motor home, I don't know. You want to get out of the heat I take it. My wife goes camping with the horse people at a place called Blackhawk, you go to Payson and then take that road east into the mountains. A lot of mountain camping, some with ponds up there. If you stay on that road long enough it ends up over by Nephi in the Salt Creek Canyon area. Might be less crowded. The most fantastic place to beat the heat in the summer-the "sinks" at the top of logan canyon, before you go over to bear lake. You turn right on that dirt road right before you hit the summit. You could get a motor home in there most likely. Don't remember if there is any water such as ponds a lakes up there but it sure gets cool at night. The record for cold was set there one winter for the lower 48 states. We used to drive over from there to bear lake during the day where the kids loved to go swimming at that state park to the south end of the lake. For my own taste I like to go where no one goes. Last weekend I camped in the foothills on Stansbury Island. It was so dry there were absolutely no mosquitoes and it was pleasant and cool all night. Hotter than Hades during the day, though. Here's another cool place, Warner Lake Campground down Moab area. I think there is some water there, its called a lake, right? Just a few ideas . . .

Great info, thanks. I do want to keep it where we'll be cool, and we have a goal to camp up near mirror lake this year (my wife loves it) so we're trying to knock that one out... but you've given me some great places to research for future trips.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Just spent last weekend up there. We looked at all of the campgrounds and decided that we had the best site of all the organized campgrounds along that road. We were at Lost Creek campground site #10. It's only a 5 min drive from Mirro Lake and far less crowded. They also have fresh water available. Oh, and the low temp Sat. morning was 36° :)