Ultimate Taco-ish fenders

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Has anyone ever built fenders like they had on the '04 Ultimate Adventure rig, the Ultimate Taco? I want something like what they built so I can hack away at my tub in the rear and get some tube fenders in the front and still pass inspection. I'd make them removable, obviously. They look simple enough to make, my only issue is rolling sheet metal and bead-rolling to add strength. So, they'd be tough for me. :ugh: I've been toying with the idea of chopping up some metal 55gal drum barrels, but I don't know where to find any. Then I thought of using the big blue plastic 55gal barrels and building some kind of frame to give them support, but then I run into the problem of rolling the metal to get the radius I would want.

So who's got some ideas?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Ooooh, now there's an idea. I've also seen one buggy on pirate4x4 that utilized John Deere fenders, but I would have no idea where to look locally for those and they'd probably be hella-expensive too.

Bart

is there any reason those rear fenders wouldn't pass safety in UT?

Yes, as far as I can see they don't come down to cover half of the tire, even with the mid axle tube. They would need a small mud flap the way they in the pics.

jsudar

Go to Hendersons in Orem. They have all sorts of steel trailer fenders. My friend split a couple in half and made some pretty decent looking fender extensions for his CJ5. They actually looked pretty nice after some matching paint.