Upper and Lower Proving Grounds are closed!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Just an FYI for anyone planning on running Upper or Lower Proving Grounds, or camping in the adjacent area. My friend just talked to the developer of CloudRock, the resort development that has been in the works for several years now on the mesa top (Johnson's Up-On-Top) above the trails. He apparently has leased the entire SITLA parcel, and is currently in the process of fencing it off. He said it is going to be a "buffer zone" between the existing developed areas and CloudRock. He said there will be a gate on the road to Johnson's, and a guard will be staying there during EJS to keep people out.

Closing off Proving Grounds has been rumored now for at least a couple years, but this is the first time I have ever heard it had anything to do with CloudRock. In fact, the whole CloudRock project has been extremely controversial, and very little has been said about it (publicly, at least) for quite some time. The developer said that construction is scheduled to start on the project within weeks.

Jeff

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It was only a matter of time before they were officially gone.

Jeff, any recourse on our part?

PS, I still need to have a chat with you. ;)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
If the developer did in fact lease the land as he said he has, I don't think there is anything we can do to keep it open. Maybe I just haven't been listening close enough, but I do find it surprising that it is CloudRock that is closing the area. I always thought it was just SITLA...

Kurt, give me a call at home one of these evenings, or shoot me an e-mail.

Jeff

dbdproductions

Closing trails

We need to get together and urge companies and or homeowners from buying lots from these Cloud city guys, or see what they are willing to work out. Just a thought.

Tiny

mmmm.....beefy!!!
drtsqrl said:
Just an FYI for anyone planning on running Upper or Lower Proving Grounds, or camping in the adjacent area. My friend just talked to the developer of CloudRock, the resort development that has been in the works for several years now on the mesa top (Johnson's Up-On-Top) above the trails. He apparently has leased the entire SITLA parcel, and is currently in the process of fencing it off. He said it is going to be a "buffer zone" between the existing developed areas and CloudRock. He said there will be a gate on the road to Johnson's, and a guard will be staying there during EJS to keep people out.

Closing off Proving Grounds has been rumored now for at least a couple years, but this is the first time I have ever heard it had anything to do with CloudRock. In fact, the whole CloudRock project has been extremely controversial, and very little has been said about it (publicly, at least) for quite some time. The developer said that construction is scheduled to start on the project within weeks.

Jeff

Well its not gonna keep me from wheeling up there!!!! :p

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
A group of us are meeting with the SITLA director next Tuesday to see what, if anything, can be resolved.

We'll keep you posted.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
dbdproductions said:
We need to get together and urge companies and or homeowners from buying lots from these Cloud city guys, or see what they are willing to work out. Just a thought.

GFL on that. It's going to be an extremely high dollar development/gated community. The people who will be buying up there are going to do everything they possibly can to make sure they never see or hear any kind of OHV's.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So, I'm without a computer for several days. Finally get back on, and this is the first thing I see... :( Upper Proving Grounds was the best trail in Moab.

:( :(

:mad2:

Parker

greenjeep said:
A group of us are meeting with the SITLA director next Tuesday to see what, if anything, can be resolved.

We'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your help on this. I can't imagine going south and not being able to run PG. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
ace said:
Hehe. Lighten up, he's joking :redneck:

Well he shouldn't be making jokes about things like this. The opposition reads these forums and uses comments like that to back their position. It's impossible to tell on the internet when it's supposed to be in jest, so everything has to be taken at it's face value. So joking or not he is still part of the problem.

T3n5oR

I know I am a newb as far as posts, but is there anything we can do to help this situation and/or facilitate its use???