Used cam ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have a cam that came out of my GM crate 350 that was in my Commando. I swapped on vortec heads and a new cam for a bit more HP. Does anyone use used cams with the matching lifters or should I just chuck them in the trash ?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Flat tappet lifters, I assume? I'd spring for new lifters.

I was always taught that camshafts and lifters wear in together and if you're not matching the used lifters to the same lobes, it could cause a cam to go flat or wear out a lifter.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Flat tapped lifters, I assume? I'd spring for new lifters.

I was always taught that camshafts and lifters wear in together and if you're not matching the used lifters to the same lobes, it could cause a cam to go flat or wear out a lifter.
I did mark where the lifters came from since they do wear into each other. I have no plan on re-using the cam but was curious if anyone would want to use it since it was a good cam.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I did mark where the lifters came from since they do wear into each other. I have no plan on re-using the cam but was curious if anyone would want to use it since it was a low mileage cam.

Gotcha... yeah, sell the cam and lifters together as a matching set. If you kept track of which lobe the lifters were on, it shouldn't be an issue.