Utah Lift Law

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I was talking to Brett the other night about the Lift Laws here in Utah. I didn't have one that was the actual law.
Here it is if want to read it.

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04196.htm
41-6-148.29. Vehicles subject to Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33 -- Definitions.
(1) Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33 apply to all motor vehicles with an original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 15,000 pounds or less operated or parked on a highway within the state.
(2) As used in Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33:
(a) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of the Department of Public Safety.
(b) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of the vehicle or, for vehicles with unitized body construction, the lowest longitudinal structural member of the body of the vehicle.
(c) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point on the frame. The distance is measured when the vehicle is unladen and on a level surface.
(d) "Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)" means the original manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating, whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the original manufacturer.
(e) "Manufacturer" means any person engaged in manufacturing or assembling new motor vehicles utilizing new parts or components, or a person defined as a manufacturer in current applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
(f) "Mechanical alteration" or "mechanical lift" means modification or alteration of the axles, chassis, suspension, or body by any means, including tires and wheels, and excluding any load, which affects the frame height of the motor vehicle.
(g) "O.E.M." means original equipment manufacturer.
(h) "Original equipment" means an item of motor vehicle equipment, including tires, which were installed in or on a motor vehicle or available as an option for the particular vehicle from the original manufacturer at the time of its delivery to the first purchaser.
(i) "Wheel track" means the shortest distance between the center of the tire treads on the same axle. On vehicles having dissimilar axle widths, the axle with the widest distance is used for all calculations.
(3) The provisions of Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33 do not apply to the following vehicles:
(a) implements of husbandry;
(b) farm tractors;
(c) road machinery;
(d) road rollers; and
(e) historical vehicles or horseless carriages that have been restored as near to original condition as is reasonably possible.

Amended by Chapter 47, 2001 General Session

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04197.htm
41-6-148.31. Standards applicable to vehicles.
(1) The following standards apply to vehicles under Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33:
(a) All replacement parts and equipment used in a mechanical alteration shall be designed and capable of performing the function for which they are intended and shall be equal to or greater in strength and durability than the original parts provided by the original manufacturer.
(b) Except for original equipment, the use of spacers to increase wheel track width of any vehicle is prohibited.
(c) The use of axle blocks to alter the suspension on the front axle of any vehicle is prohibited.
(d) The stacking of two or more axle blocks of any vehicle is prohibited.
(2) (a) In doubtful or unusual cases, or to meet specific industrial requirements, personnel of the Utah Highway Patrol shall inspect the vehicle to determine the road worthiness and safe condition of the vehicle and whether it complies with Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33.
(b) If the vehicle complies, the Utah Highway Patrol shall issue a permit of approval that shall be carried in the vehicle.
(3) (a) Upon notice to the party to whom the motor vehicle is registered, the Department of Public Safety shall suspend the registration of any motor vehicle equipped, altered, or modified in violation of Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33.
(b) The Motor Vehicle Division shall, under Subsection 41-1a-109(1)(e) or (2), refuse to register any motor vehicle it has reason to believe is equipped, altered, or modified in violation of Sections 41-6-148.29 through 41-6-148.33.

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04198.htm
41-6-148.32. Prohibitions.
(1) A person may not operate on any highway within the state a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:
(a) in any way that may cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;
(c) so that any part of the vehicle other than tires, rims, and mudguards are less than three inches above the ground;
(d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;
(g) by stacking or attaching vehicle frames (one from on top of or beneath another frame); or
(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.
(2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.
(3) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_04199.htm
41-6-148.33. Bumpers.
(1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a bumper on both front and rear of the vehicle, except those that were not originally designed or manufactured with a bumper or bumpers.
(2) (a) On all motor vehicles under 15,000 GVWR, bumpers shall be:
(i) at least 4.5 inches in vertical height;
(ii) centered on the vehicle's center line; and
(iii) extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distance.
(b) Bumpers shall be securely mounted, horizontal load bearing, and attached to the vehicle's frame to effectively transfer impact when engaged.
(3) When any motor vehicle is originally or later equipped with bumpers, the bumpers shall be maintained in operational condition and shall comply with this section.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for posting that Shawn! I carry a copy in my Glove Box. When I get pulled over, I can compare the Law I have in front of me to the Officers reason for pulling me over. I think it helps to show you have a understanding of the laws governing our mods.

Has anyone had a problem with an officer or insp station that didn't understand the law, or with one who wasn't comfortable with your mods?

I'm interested in hearing about any such experiences, either here or via email.

Thanks,
Brett

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
my inspector doesn't have a copy of the new laws yet.....
oh and ummm
) Except for original equipment, the use of spacers to increase wheel track width of any vehicle is prohibited.
hmmm

Too Far

parts is parts
I went to a little place in PG when I first was trying to license my trooper and ran into some trouble. I had the guy come out and look at it and I asked him if he saw any immediate problems with the lift. He started talking about wheel base and such. I tried to politely tell him that the laws had changed and wheel base no longer factored in the equation. He said I was wrong and that he didnt want anything to do with my truck and walked back inside!
I was a little bent, but figured that it was his right to refuse to look at my truck.
I took it to USET and had good luck. The inspector is a wheeler and doesnt shudder at the sight of a modified vehicle. As long as it is within the rules he gives the nod. There was a question about front mud flaps, but it is easier to bolt on a set than argue.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Too Far
There was a question about front mud flaps, but it is easier to bolt on a set than argue.

front mud flaps = BS!!!

the law clearly states rear mudflaps are the only ones required. now fender flares are another thing altogether but you do have a point, it is easier to comply that deal with their shiznit!!

i cant stand those redneck inspectors that dont know squat about new laws. i dont think the state takes the time to outline law changes very well!! ive pulled a lot of crap over a lot of inspectors eyes over the years but those redneck are the hardest. they think it is their duty to god and their country to make sure a cracked windshield does not get by them. i mean look at the quality of people we have inspecting our cars, most of them are mullet wearing chaw spitting neanderthals and we pay them to tell us what they think their interpretation of safe is. moral of the story: keep a copy in your glovebox and be careful they dont drip lip rot on it!! :D

rant mode off!!

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by spencurai

i mean look at the quality of people we have inspecting our cars, most of them are mullet wearing chaw spitting neanderthals and we pay them to tell us what they think their interpretation of safe is.

Bahahahaa,

To freekin Funny.

But true.

MattL

Thanks for posting information about this law. I was wondering some things and this helped out on some of the questions.

Brdpraey

personally i want my dodge taller, like i see some other trucks however. That stinking law messes it up:mad: .
why you ask, well for the low riders, they make great bumps to catch air from:D

Originally posted by Brdpraey
personally i want my dodge taller, like i see some other trucks however. That stinking law messes it up:mad: .
why you ask, well for the low riders, they make great bumps to catch air from:D

so, how does it mess it up? You get to lift it more than you used to. Explain, please.

Brdpraey

you will see my beast in skytones calander. i wanted to have around a 10 -12 lift however with the 26 inch from frame to ground law, i am limited to the 6" lift. with 35 inch tires that puts me right at 25-26.
you live in utah you have seen the other trucks i speak of the ones with 44 inch tires and roughly 13+ lifts.

:p they are cool. yea cool.
:mad: but they say any higher and i am unsafe.:( so i deal with what i have. the down side to being taller i didnt plan on was all the driveline configs.

oh well 40 in tires will have to do ,
bring on the mud.................;)

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
I like my inspector, Looks at the rig, looks at me shakes his head, does a IM on it, slip him a little something something and away I go! Only real problem I have is IM. It takes a couple of hours to get it to clean up.

Originally posted by Brdpraey
you will see my beast in skytones calander. i wanted to have around a 10 -12 lift however with the 26 inch from frame to ground law, i am limited to the 6" lift. with 35 inch tires that puts me right at 25-26.
you live in utah you have seen the other trucks i speak of the ones with 44 inch tires and roughly 13+ lifts.

You used to be limited to 4" of TOTAL lift, including body lift...so how is it worse now?

I do live in Utah. By the way, 13+" and 44" tires is illegal if it puts the rig above 26" (4500-7500) or 28" for 7500+. So, those other trucks are likely illegal.

I'm guessing you have a 1/2ton rig if 26" is the upper limit. You can go a little over 26", but not to 27". You can have a 2" bodylift. With some fender trimming though, you could go with a 37" tire, if a 35" tire puts you at 25-26". Frankly, if you have a 1/2ton, with stock axles and brakes, I wouldn't want to go over 35" tires anyway.

I can understand if you want the limit to be higher, that is arguable. But to say that it is worse than it was, that just doesn't hold water.

The limits are what they are because that gave us the best chance of passing the law, and having something better. We were actually the first, and only, state to take a crummy lift law and make it better.

Maybe if all the folks with the super high rigs (13+ and 44s) would have been supporting the U4WDA and getting involved, we could have pushed for higher limits.

Brdpraey

FAIR ENOUGH............. How ever i was just stating that i would like to make it taller.
however if i have the 44's on then maybe a little fender trimming would be the answer.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sounds like you and all of the guys with 13+ and 44" tires should create a new law concerning "street trucks"...:D

I too have seen lots of trucks way over the 28", in fact two of my customers run powerstrokes with about 16" of lift...you may see them out here in Draper, a silver one and a charcoal one. They know that they are way illigal but htey run the risk of being ticketed, you have the same opportunity...this new law does not support anymore punishment then the prior law did, it just allows more.

Personally I think the reason outsiders have such a huge problem with lifted vehicles is mainly because of theses huge "street trucks", I have never had anyone complain about the safety of my cruiser which sits at 25" frame clearance... IMHO..

Good Luck:D

Brdpraey

your right the law isnt bias on who it prosecutes. so i will remain street legal for now.
(i think the real reason is tomany small cars were trying to drive under the tall truck not realizing there is an axle ther.)
low riders, hmmmm
mobile speed bumps................:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I better not...(foul language)...

Something about lowriders has always disturbed me... My daily driver is a Honda Civic and I can't think of having it any lower than it is...I bottom out on speed bumps as is... And dropping 20k into a little ricer... now thats insane...

but I must admit after watchin Fast and Furious, I wanted a turbo'd MR2 to take out on weekend adventures...:D