Utah Lift Law

Brdpraey

come on you may like the rice burner but you have the v8 in your blood.............tell me the dodge didnt just make you skip a beat while it was just sitting there in the garage..............

the roar of that motor ,,,,,,,,,,, i was willing to give up my wife for that car, then again she was willing to trade me for the car as well...........;)

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Ok guys,
My Jeep is coming up for inspection in a couple of months, and I know I need to do some stuff to pass inspection, so here is a couple of questions:

1. 3rd brake light? I removed mine when I put on the new tire carrier/bumper. Do I have to put it (or a replacement type) back on? In the stuff listed above, it doesn't specifically state anything on this.

2. How much tire can really stick out from the fender? I know there is another thread currently running about a vehicle that didn't pass due to fender flares, so how much can legally be gotten away with?

On this subject, where can I buy generic 'rubber' fender flares. I was thinking I might be able to build a set of flares while maintaining my stock flares. Add to them. I know it might look gay, but if I can make them quick release, it keeps me legal on the street, and I can remove them off road. I know that a set of $300 ext flares are going to get thrashed off road.

3. Doors....I just sold my hard doors, so now I only have the soft half doors (looking for 2pc soft doors). If I take my rig to have it inspected without any doors on it, go? nogo?

That is all I can think of now, thanks for any input.

jd

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Brett, I did get pulled over one month after the new law was passed in the summer of '01. I pulled my copy from the glove box and we talked about it. He didn't have a clue (Heber UHP after all). He "let me go", but not after telling me a story about how his Mother drives a Geo. If we were both in a collision, she would be dead. I mentioned Semis, buses, suburbans, expeditions, etc. as possile causes of his Geo driving mothers ultimate demise, but I didn't get much of a response. I wanted to say "what good are you? You let your mom drive a Geo???" and laugh, but that would have resulted in a ticket of some kind. :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The thing that sucks about the entire deal is all of the "Street Trucks"... You know the ones... Powerjokes on 44's. They really are deadly machines...and they give all of us bad names... At least we use our vehicle mods. for reasons other than state street. I truly think that if there weren't so many State street cruzin' trucks that it would be a little easier to modify your vehicle...oh well...:D

Oh yeah, if anyone one wants to help with problems like this... join the Utah Four Wheel Drive Association (U4WDA)...They were the ones that got the law improved...;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by BlackSheep
Ok guys,
My Jeep is coming up for inspection in a couple of months, and I know I need to do some stuff to pass inspection, so here is a couple of questions:

1. 3rd brake light? I removed mine when I put on the new tire carrier/bumper. Do I have to put it (or a replacement type) back on? In the stuff listed above, it doesn't specifically state anything on this.

2. How much tire can really stick out from the fender? I know there is another thread currently running about a vehicle that didn't pass due to fender flares, so how much can legally be gotten away with?

On this subject, where can I buy generic 'rubber' fender flares. I was thinking I might be able to build a set of flares while maintaining my stock flares. Add to them. I know it might look gay, but if I can make them quick release, it keeps me legal on the street, and I can remove them off road. I know that a set of $300 ext flares are going to get thrashed off road.

3. Doors....I just sold my hard doors, so now I only have the soft half doors (looking for 2pc soft doors). If I take my rig to have it inspected without any doors on it, go? nogo?

That is all I can think of now, thanks for any input.

jd

1-I really don't know....

2-Legally, the flares have to cover the tires and you need a mudflap that runs at least to the hub.

3-don't TJ's come stock with soft doors or do they only sell 'half-doors'?---again, I really don't know about that one

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by mbryson

1-I really don't know....

2-Legally, the flares have to cover the tires and you need a mudflap that runs at least to the hub.

3-don't TJ's come stock with soft doors or do they only sell 'half-doors'?---again, I really don't know about that one

Thanks.

TJs can come with the steel half doors with soft upper doors, or the hard doors. The doors I have are the lower soft doors. An aftermarket accessory.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Brdpraey
give us a link to go see your sight and decide wether or not to join.
p.s. were are you located:(

Not my site, its the U4WDA's site but I am a proud member...They are located in...Utah...everywhere...here is the site.

http://www.u4wda.org/

It is under construction but check back soon. There are quite a few U4WDA members on RME so just ask them about the beneifts... I am just gald to be a member of the club that increased the lift as well as works alot to keep the trails open... such as AF canyon... :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
1- No 3rd Brake light. No problem. All you need are 2 working brakelights. Many vehicles produced still don't have a 3rd Brake Light. It's just a safety option, not a Must.

2- Flares. From the above: (2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.

3- Soft Doors should be OK. As long as you have somekind of Doors, I think any I/M guy will pass you.

I think you should pass with flying colors! Good Luck!

:D

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
So, maybe a little tough to tell from this photo, but do these flares fit the description?? I mean, more than 50% of the width of the tire is covered??

Attachments

• blacksheep - photo op after mods full front.jpg
    blacksheep - photo op after mods full front.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 141

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So, maybe a little tough to tell from this photo, but do these flares fit the description?? I mean, more than 50% of the width of the tire is covered??

They should pass.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
You guys should really get an AZ plate :D
It works wonders....I haven't gotten a ticket yet...No officer I don't live here just passing through. I have been pulled over a couple times though.:eek:

Attachments

• 103-0390aa_img.jpg
    103-0390aa_img.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 136

tv_larsen

I've actually checked on this law, I want to run my Ramcharger w/o doors.

First I spoke to every highway patrol officer that I could find. None of them had a problem with it. A couple indicated that the seat belts should be worn, and the vehicle should still have exterior mirrors, I knew that. One was also concerned that no children wouldn't be in the truck. I still couldn't get a "for sure" answer.

Finally I spoke to a UHP officer here in Logan that called some guy that was over all of Utah's safety laws. According to him, only the the Jeep CJs, Wranglers, ect.. were legal with no doors at all because those "were designed to run w/o doors".

So I figure that (since most officers didn't mind a doorless truck) if I fab up some tube doors, I'm unlikely to get pulled over for it.

Soft doors on a CJ or Wrangler should be no problem at all.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
I bet you five bucks, your tires won't pass. I'll loan you a set of 31 that will get you passed if you want.

Jeremy,
I really feel like you're right. Although by the strict letter of the law, I feel like I'm within those laws, they are always open to the interpretation of the inspector. It would be easiest to put a set of smaller tires on my rig, but I think I would need a different set of wheels as well. My 15x10 wouldn't do well with a set of 31s.

too bad I recently sold my stock wheels to schlingdawg....

I have a couple of months, so I will try to figure something else out. The only possible advantage I might have, is that I live in a county other than SLC or Utah (or Davis) county, and I only need a safety inspection...folks in the city might just be a little tougher on inspections than folks outside the city. I could be wrong, but I might just try.

I'm still considering some type of removable flare extension. Something I can remove when I go off road. Or, leave on when weather conditions are less than ideal.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out

I mean, more than 50% of the width of the tire is covered??

It has nothing to do with the width. The Whole top part of the tire (width wise) has to be covered.
It's 50% of the tire from the top of the tire to the ground, thus the mud flaps have to cover 50% from the top part of the tire.