Other Region Utah Ultimate Adventure

leemastergt

I think this is a really good idea, and am very interested in reading the report of the trip once it's done! Biggest concern I would have would be the quality of rigs going. You're definitely going to have to be particular with those who you invite, so as to not invite the guy that seems to always be out on Rattlesnake with a beat-up XJ that ends of breaking a u-joint after 8 tries on an optional ledge. Spending 5 days constantly trying to hold rigs together wouldn't be fun for any group. And the Ultimate Off-road Adventure can steer clear of that a bit by only inviting vendors for the most part.

There's so much unexplored, or forgotten, territory in Utah that it would be great to get a perspective like this that reminds people that there are fantastic dirt paths outside of Moab. I know I could certainly use the geography lesson!

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
This sounds awesome! I would be in for next year, my rig could use a little more work aimed at driver comfort for a trip like this.

I was just watching videos of the Rubicon trail, thinking to myself "it would be awesome to plan a 4 day wheelin/camping trip with a small group"

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Labor day would work for me. End of sept i have ITTC i wont miss.

I will be watching this very closely

End of September is also NPLD and we can't miss that.... so perhaps Labor Day weekend is best? Would be fun to have you along Cheston, your new JKU would be perfect for what I have in mind. ;)

Sounds like fun! Is my rig built enough? :greg: but really the roads would be a bigger challenge in my rig. Haha. Unfortunately I don't have the vacation days left this year to make this work. But definitely would plan on next year

:D I'd love to see your TJ loaded up with camping gear for a long trip Dave! I bet it would do it just fine.

Sounds like too much fun! Fall time frame is no go for me, have plans for just about every weekend already made and it's like that every fall and winter. I'll enjoy watching it unfold and reading the threads though!

- DAA

Yeah, the timing for guys that are scouting & hunting may not be ideal... it's a good time of year to be out anyhow, so I know where you're coming from!

Sounds rad

Thought you'd like the idea. :D

I think this is an awesome idea. I've found myself in sort of a funk with 4wheeling. I've noticed my tastes rest in the middle of what seems to be the 2 popular trends lately. Overlanding & buggies. I love the idea of overlanding, but find myself missing the challenge in a lot of it (not that I've done a lot). Buggies, while I admire the fab and builds, it's just not my cup of tea. I've find myself wanting something just like this. Something that has aspects of overlanding, but challenge. I'm still a novice when it comes to really hard trails...and part of that is I don't have people to wheel with that run the harder trails in full bodied rigs. I want to keep mine street 'legal', full bodied, and a relatively body damage free. I also want it comfortable to drive on the highway....which lately it seems the buggies/extreme stuff or more mild overlanding is most popular right now.

I would suggest that each vehicle be 'legal' in that it should be able to be registered in Utah. I guess it wouldn't really matter too much as long as the vehicle could be comfortable enough to be self supported and drive longer distances for each driver.

I think you hit the nail on the head, the idea of combining a few challenging 4x4 trails with backcountry traveling and camping... and yes, this trip would be geared towards full-bodied & street legal rigs. On top of that, everyone would need to be setup with camping gear, water & food, so the vehicles will be loaded making for even more challenge on the difficult trails.

And yeah, all vehicles participating will need to be fully street legal AND capable of driving on the highway for hours at a time. I have a few routes in mind, but there is a chance that this drive will require road driving to get from one trail to another. No trailers or tow rigs on the main portion of the trip, must be able to be driven over the full portion of the trip.

I'm right there with Pike, just need something new and people to do it with............

;) Right here!

I think this is a really good idea, and am very interested in reading the report of the trip once it's done! Biggest concern I would have would be the quality of rigs going. You're definitely going to have to be particular with those who you invite, so as to not invite the guy that seems to always be out on Rattlesnake with a beat-up XJ that ends of breaking a u-joint after 8 tries on an optional ledge. Spending 5 days constantly trying to hold rigs together wouldn't be fun for any group. And the Ultimate Off-road Adventure can steer clear of that a bit by only inviting vendors for the most part.

There's so much unexplored, or forgotten, territory in Utah that it would be great to get a perspective like this that reminds people that there are fantastic dirt paths outside of Moab. I know I could certainly use the geography lesson!

Totally agree, any vehicles that want to join must be trail-proven and known to be reliable. I'm not sure how we'd decide who could participate (and who gets left out) but knowing that your rig was reliable for a handful of days of rough trails and offroad driving is a huge part of pulling this trip off.

There are so many mild dirt roads across Utah, it wouldn't be too hard to stitch together some tough 4x4 trails combined with mild dirt roads and camping along the way.

This sounds like a cool idea.

Get the Taco back together... it would be perfect for the Utah Ultimate Adventure!

This sounds awesome! I would be in for next year, my rig could use a little more work aimed at driver comfort for a trip like this.

I was just watching videos of the Rubicon trail, thinking to myself "it would be awesome to plan a 4 day wheelin/camping trip with a small group"

Yep, I think the idea has a LOT of potential.... from here it's just details! :D

Greg

Admin
I think this would be a great time, but your suggestion of front and rear lockers and a winch probably makes it a no go for the Raptor.

Yeah, the kinds of 4x4 trails I'm thinking about will require lockers and a winch... the plan is to make it pretty damn challenging, even for built & locked rigs. Your old TJ would have been ideal!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Yeah, the kinds of 4x4 trails I'm thinking about will require lockers and a winch... the plan is to make it pretty damn challenging, even for built & locked rigs. Your old TJ would have been ideal!

Well.......that was replaced with a Jetta TDI when I sold it.:rolleyes:

RockChucker

:D I'd love to see your TJ loaded up with camping gear for a long trip Dave! I bet it would do it just fine.

Yep. I think it would be fine. A little toasty, but fine. Gotta get some non-sticky tires before I can make a trip like that though! And then hope that I don't get pulled over :greg: Seems like I've gotten less looks since the street legal atv law passed though.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
So would you do the complete rip off and not tell the rest the drivers the planned route?

The more i think about this the more i want it to happen. Like now....;)

Greg

Admin
So would you do the complete rip off and not tell the rest the drivers the planned route?

The more i think about this the more i want it to happen. Like now....;)

I think so! Keep the trails and route a secret until the morning of... plan a meet just for the group participating and keep the trip quiet so we don't have random folks joining.

So the hard part.... I would imagine that we'll have way more people interested in making the Utah Ultimate Adventure than open slots. So how do we narrow the participants?

Id be interested. I pick the new rig up next week so I'll have bugs worked out by then. JINX, BDS???

This sounds awesome!!! I would have to hitch hike, my trailer queen won't qualify.

I like this

:thumbs:

I'm glad you guys weighed in, I think the idea is awesome and would be an incredible time... something we could build on and make better each year!

pkrfctr

good question on more participants than you want. Qualifying runs? up the minimum requirements until you have the group size you want? run them all and let them weed themselves out as the runs get harder? Kind of depends on the end goal.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
This could be different than other runs but it always seems there are lot of people interested then when the time comes most have stuff come up. May just have to wait and see how many actually commit to the dates and go from there.

For the first year if there are 20 people that want to go, just litterally set a number and pull names from a hat. Do it on facebook live or something where it cant be biased.

DAA

For the Ghost Town Tour, I've just gone with first come first served. I give some heads up that I'll be posting a sign up thread within a few days. First ten to speak up go on the list, then start an alternates. First two years, nobody dropped out, last year quite a few of the alternates were able to go as a lot of the original list changed their minds.

- DAA

Bart

I'm not sure how I missed this thread but I am definitely in if there is room and the dates aren't conflicting with previously scheduled stuff. This is pretty much what I built my Jeep for. It wouldn't do well as an expedition rig and it's far from a buggy, but it's okay with the hard stuff and did surprisingly well with the 100 road miles around the Rubicon.