V10s & big block V8s

Houndoc

The V10s, 460s, 454 etc are all overkill as far as the power I need in a truck (since I already of my Dodge diesel) but a lot of them are floating around at decent prices.

Any real world comments on fuel use with any of them?

Obviously we know it can't be good, but....

D

Deleted member 12904

I have a 99 superduty v10 and it sucks. All I use it for is towing a 5th wheel and get about 7-8mpg once towing on I80 to wendover for a BOR desert race I had a head wind and got 3 mpg. I didn't even make it on a tank of gas had to pull over before the rest stop and dump a couple gas cans.

Power wise it does just fine towing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Had the Ford, got 9 towing, 10 in the city. Best tank was 13 all hiway and empty. I'd buy another in a second, but no longer available in the 250 series.

If you're looking at the Ford, the 4.30 gears are a must. The 3.73's are easy to find, I looked hard to find one with the lower gear ratio. The people I know with the 3.73's don't like them.

Toad

I have pulled my jeep to moab twice with a 460 ford. Power wise it did great. The first time my fuel mileage sucked. Probably 5 mpg. The second time I made sure it was out of overdrive going up even the slightest grades. It made a huge difference. Got about 10 mpg.

Bart

I have a 99 Dodge V10. I've gotten 14 mpg, empty on the freeway, but most of the time that's about 12. I can get 8 to 9 around town all day long. That's about the same mileage I was getting in my 91 Chev with a 350 only this pulls much better. I've had an issue with it cutting out for a little while and have traced it to the TPS. Recently I've replaced plugs, wires, air filter trying to help the problem. I'll get one of those in this weekend and see if it improves.

sixb

Will work for beer!
99 v10 Ford 10.5 in town 6-9 towing 12 hwy but have gotten 15.5 and 17 once on the hwy. 3.73 gears stock tires pulls fine but not pulling more than around 7-8k

Houndoc

All about what I expected.

For our tow rig I like my CTD. We get 20-21 empty, 17 towing the boat (between 5-6K pounds) and got about 11 last week hauling three horses (total weight in the 9K range to Salina and back.

Need to find a good deal now on a half-ton!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
:Got a neighbor w/ a 454 loaded with a lance camper and a medium size boat, says he's consistent at 4mpg :rofl:

machrism

Its a SB 360 but with my 92 Dodge W250 and five speed. I stay around 11-12 on average. Best ever was 15 on the highway around 65 MPH. It sucks enough to piss me off. LoL.