Vehicle Registration

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
I'm needing to get my samurai registered soon but it isn't exactly legal. I know not all of your rigs are legal. What are you doing to get it registered? I was told to register it as an off-road only vehicle because this really shouldn't see the streets much. Is this a good/bad idea? What is everyone doing? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

James

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
bobdog said:
What is not exactly legal?

no fender flares to cover tires, tires stick way too far out (35x16.5), can't get pass emissions. I suppose those are the biggest things. I've got to get the windshield replaced, wiper motor and arms replaced. The list goes on to get it passed inspection. I just didn't know if it was worth just registering it as an off-road only vehicle or something.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
zukinrail said:
no fender flares to cover tires, tires stick way too far out (35x16.5), can't get pass emissions. I suppose those are the biggest things. I've got to get the windshield replaced, wiper motor and arms replaced. The list goes on to get it passed inspection. I just didn't know if it was worth just registering it as an off-road only vehicle or something.
I guess you did not save the stock tires? If the only thing is tires sticking out borrow some that don't. Your on your own driving around after you swap back but you will have tags.

zukinrail

4x4junkies.com
bobdog said:
I guess you did not save the stock tires? If the only thing is tires sticking out borrow some that don't. Your on your own driving around after you swap back but you will have tags.

I guess that is my worry. I don't want to go threw all the hassle of getting it registered just to get pulled over in it every other day. I guess I can't really avoid that. :) I've had my share of fix-it tickets and lift tickets back with the old lift law

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
zukinrail said:
I guess that is my worry. I don't want to go threw all the hassle of getting it registered just to get pulled over in it every other day. I guess I can't really avoid that. :) I've had my share of fix-it tickets and lift tickets back with the old lift law

This is why I have dedicated the Cruiser to a Trail Rig. I was sick of trying to get it to pass, bribing some one to look the other way.

Now I trailer it every where, At first I thought it would be a hassle.. but.. no biggy, and If I break, I will get home ;)

I don't have a registration on or offroad.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
If you go to an off-road registration you can NEVER go back to street legal, and it will be illegal to drive it on the road. If it's stuff that can be fixed, do it. If you are seriously NEVER planning to drive it on the road again, go with the off-road registration.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
RockMonkey said:
I think he was county. Got tickets for no off-road registration.

i got nailed with that afew years ago on a sand rail..... threatened to impound it, but since we were so cooperative, he let that slide....

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
get some mud flaps slice em up (or something similar) and make some quick on/off flares. as for emissions, rubbing alcohol and high grade gas :D:D:D the hotter it burns the cleaner it burns! just watch your temp gauge :eek:

My mud flaps are quick on/off gotten a couple of fix it tickets for when I don't have em on, just throw em on get it signed off and pull em off again :D:D:D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
onetuff76 said:
as for emissions, rubbing alcohol and high grade gas :D:D:D the hotter it burns the cleaner it burns! just watch your temp gauge :eek:
Alcohol actually burns colder than Gasoline. Burning hotter(lean) will lower CO but will increase NOX it is a fine line.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
ehh my bad typing before thinking the proces through. Anyways, before I rebuilt my motor that's all I did and she passed, normally she didn't though.

Rabidray

clue me in

i have only been to utah a couple of times.......

i was not aware of all the wierd laws.....i know the smog nazi,s had taken over.....
but on road and off road registaion,s ........and fender flares??????????

ive got 33x12.50 tyres on 2 or 3 inch back spaced wheels ....the tyres stick out 6 or 8 inches from the body ......and i have no fender flares at all........

would they write me a ticket with an out of stae reggistation........

i was thinking of useing my tax refund too go to the easter jeep safari at moab.....

what is the lift law you were talking about.......

what are the specifics......so i can figure out just how illegal my zuk is......

i would hate to drive all that way and spend all my money on tickets and impound charges........

i am not even sure there is a lift law in indiana the only thing that i can think of that would be similar to a lift law is that your head lights cant be over 48 inches in height.....over 48 inches above the ground :D .......

i saw a 4 door sub tonight parked at were i work and the rocker panels were close to 3 feet off the ground{mud truck}.......

but around here they only wanna play in the mud so they jack em up as high as they can.........i have seen a buch of truck set up for mud being driven on the
legaly with 6 inch blocks front and rear.. :ugh: .......and know i do not know these people personaly...........just seen there stuff parked on the street in the surrounding towns.........

i did not mean too hijack the thread.........but all of this does make me wonder...............................

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Rabidray said:
i have only been to utah a couple of times.......

i was not aware of all the wierd laws.....i know the smog nazi,s had taken over.....
but on road and off road registaion,s ........and fender flares??????????

ive got 33x12.50 tyres on 2 or 3 inch back spaced wheels ....the tyres stick out 6 or 8 inches from the body ......and i have no fender flares at all........

would they write me a ticket with an out of stae reggistation........

i was thinking of useing my tax refund too go to the easter jeep safari at moab.....

what is the lift law you were talking about.......

what are the specifics......so i can figure out just how illegal my zuk is......

i would hate to drive all that way and spend all my money on tickets and impound charges........

i am not even sure there is a lift law in indiana the only thing that i can think of that would be similar to a lift law is that your head lights cant be over 48 inches in height.....over 48 inches above the ground :D .......

i saw a 4 door sub tonight parked at were i work and the rocker panels were close to 3 feet off the ground{mud truck}.......

but around here they only wanna play in the mud so they jack em up as high as they can.........i have seen a buch of truck set up for mud being driven on the
legaly with 6 inch blocks front and rear.. :ugh: .......and know i do not know these people personaly...........just seen there stuff parked on the street in the surrounding towns.........

i did not mean too hijack the thread.........but all of this does make me wonder...............................
If you're in Moab during EJS I think you'll be okay. They're really pretty lenient with the laws around there, and they've got rigs to chase that are WAY more illegal than yours. Yes, you can be ticketed for not having flares with out of state tags. I'm pretty sure with a Zuk the lift law states that the lowest part of your frame can be no higher from the ground than 24 inches. I'd be surprised if you're taller than that. If you own a four wheeler or dirt bike there wouldn't you have to register it as an offroad vehicle, or something? That's how some of us are registering our rigs, because they are no longer street legal. You'll be fine, come on down for Easter (but only if you like crowds and traffic jams on trails, and drunk people on trails, and...), and have fun!