Victor Indrustrial Grade Propane Cutting Torch

AndersonOffRoad

This is a very nice industrial grade Victor cutting torch kit. I have converted it to propane for hotter more clearer cuts.

Kit includes
1 Fuel Gauge
1 Oxygen Gauge
1 Hose
1 Tourch
1 25 Gallon Propane Tank 7/8 Full
1 Huge Oxygen Tank Almost Full (customer Owned)
I can text pics upon requests

Thanks For Looking

Kyle 801-856-6138

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
... I have converted it to propane for hotter more clearer cuts. ...

uh, no

Oxy Propane burns at about 4087*f
Oxy Acetylene burns at 6332*f

People generally switch to propane for cost reasons if they are mostly doing cutting since Propane is sufficient for pre-heat and pure oxygen does the cutting.

AndersonOffRoad

When people tell you about how difficult propane is to cut when compared to acetylene they are not really providing you with all the information.

FACT :
  • Maximum neutral flame temperature of acetelyne in oxygen is about 5720[SUP]o[/SUP]F.
  • Maximum neutral flame tempature of propane in oxygen is about 5112[SUP]o[/SUP]F.
The difference doesn't really matter as the real concern is for the thermal output ( BTUs ).
FACT :
  • BTU's of Acetylene is approximately 1470 btu's per cubic foot.
  • BTU's of Propane is approximately 2498 btu's per cubic foot.
So when they say propane gives off less heat it is not entirely correct ( plain wrong actually ). In the welding industry the vast majority of preheating is done with Oxygen / Propane . This is a fact . They don't do it just because it's cheaper but because the available heat from propane is much higher.
FACT : If you look at any torch manufacturers catalog, you will see Propane, Propylene and MAPP heating tips / nozzles of 250,000 btu/hrs to 1,000,000 btu/hrs. But if you look at the Acetylene heating tips / nozzles the maximum you see in the Harris catalog is a relatively small 240,000 btu/hrs, Smith Acetylene heating tip / nozzles are slightly less than 200,000 btu/hrs and Victor is about 300,000 btu/hrs. These are all far less than what they make for Oxygen / Propane use.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
You don't see acetylene used for preheat (which is a completely different thing than a torch set would ever be used for) for two reasons. 1. You can only release acetylene from the cylinder so fast safely. High BTUs require banks of multiple cylinders to get high volumes. You could get as much heat as propane from acetylene but that would be silly when you could just break out a weed burner. 2. Cost. Having used both to cut, acetylene wins for me, but the lower cost may be worth the IMO lower performance of propane. I would occasionally want to weld with gas so I would not consider a propane setup for my personal shop torch set.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I was referring to the preheat jets on a cutting torch, not a rosebud tip.

I know and agree with you. I was talking about the preheating in the welding industry quote, which is almost always done with large propane torches (weed burners).