Vintage car registration

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I just got the registration renewal for two of our vintage rigs. I noticed that it now says emissions required. My older 73 didn't have that earlier this year. I know they passed the law requiring vintage insurance if you wanted to not have to do emissions but how do you go about getting the notice changed ? This new law is really stupid since these Jeeps see very little highway use. The main reason I went vintage was that I got tired of having to take my Jeeps to the county testing facility every year just because they have newer much cleaner running engines in them.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I think that changed because people were registering DD as vintage to get around the emissions requirement.

THIS. So may people were intentionally skirting the law that it nearly got abolished. Fortunately, we were able to find a compromise.

I thought you were good if your rig is 1980 and older? Maybe your CJs are 81-86?

I'm not 100% on this, but the cutoff might be a rolling model year. You might be good to go provided the car is more than 40 model years old (ie, 1982 currently). At least I thought I saw mention of that somewhere.

At any rate, I know you are definitely good if the vehicle is model year 1980 or older. I just renewed my 1980 Grand Prix last month with no emissions requirement.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
It used to be 30 and older needed emissions, 40 and older didn’t. But I don’t know if that changed.

During the recent negotiations, the proposed change specifically stated "model years 1980 and older are emissions exempt. Vintage Vehicles of model year 1981 and newer require proof of specialty insurance, otherwise they must maintain emissions compliance." But after the revision was finally passed into law, I swear I saw it specified model year 1982 rather than 1980. This is why I was thinking perhaps there is now a 'rolling model year' provision.

Maybe I saw it wrong? I'll need to look it up and see what the code says.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Source: https://dmv.utah.gov/faq/specific-vehicles-faq

Does my vintage vehicle need an emissions inspection?​

Vintage vehicles with model years 1982 & older do not require an emissions inspection. However, Senate Bill 51 changed the requirements for vintage vehicles with model years 1983 & newer that are located in a county where emissions inspections are required. At the time of registration, a vintage vehicle that has a model year of 1983 or newer is required to provide proof of an emissions inspection or provide proof of vehicle insurance that is a type specific to a collector vehicle. See form TC-745, Vintage Vehicle Insurance Affidavit for more information.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
My commando is a 73 so no issue, the CJ is an 84 and the Comanche is an 87. I've been looking into the vintage insurance since we actually do fit the rules. Then I'll have to fill out form TC-745.

This is the answer and the path I'll be going with my FJ80.
It's already insured via Haggerty.

I saw a soccer mom in a Toyota Previa minivan with vintage plates at Costco last week. I wish it could have stayed like it was, but I can see why it had to change. I mean, I wonder how many events or car shows she takes that Previa to every year?