Vintage plates - renewal question

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Maybe it just depends on the county.

And I'll keep my rovers in Montana I could care less someone doesn't like it. I have property up there.

It is a state law. County should have nothing to do with it. DMV officers are getting bad info somewhere, or there is something I am missing because all I have read is that vintage vehicles are exempt.

While the DMV's are technically a state office, they are operated under pretty much complete control of the county assessors. I don't know how they handle the actual division of finances. I'm intimately familiar with this situation as I have appealed vehicle property taxes to the county assessor, then to the county commissioners, then to the state. Suffice it to say that the my claims were not met with any level of reason at the county level. The county commissioners simply backed up the assessor. The minute the claim hit the desk of someone at the state level along with my evidence, the local assessor was immediately instructed to settle with me. I guess this is kindof off-topic, but it brings to bear the fact that the local employees enforce the state registration code the way that they understand it and unfortunately, some of them do not listen to reason or other opinions.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Are any down sides to getting a vintage plate? My CJ will be 30 next year (need to find a gigantic party hat).

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Are any down sides to getting a vintage plate? My CJ will be 30 next year (need to find a gigantic party hat).

Assuming that you're good with the restrictions, no. I liked my truck as a daily driver and I won't be able to do that with vintage plates on it, but I think that'll be a small price to pay.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
just did this a couple months ago with my 1976 yota truck no safety required and its only 39 years old, they said once its 40 next year i only pay 10 a year for rego. thats ogden i love there DMV

Vintage plates for motorcycles? I've asked about this here, and they tell me no.

Are they MC sized plates?

Yes, they are MC sized plates. If it would help you at your Moab DMV, I'll take a picture of them later.

I just got off the phone with the state DMV call center. They said that I shouldn't need an inspection to renew my vintage plates; however, they admit to a glitch in their system, which is why mine is requiring a safety inspection. My other two vintage vehicles will come up as requiring safety too, which is going to be a PITA, especially for my rockcrawler. They suggested doing one of two things:

First, I can tell the DMV personnel that I'm not required to show a safety inspection, and if they object have them call Branch Support. That sounds like fun, but with one of the professional Tooele DMV employees it might be okay. I'll definitely avoid the one on the right!

Second, get a safety inspection and renew the registration. I presume from my conversation with the state that this is a one time thing, and wouldn't come up again. The state guy said that you are required to have a safety inspection in the vehicle always (even vintage vehicles) in case you get pulled over, but you are NOT required to show one to register the vehicle initially.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

Cherokeester

My Cj is 35 years old, I had to walk into the Logan DMV and physically showed them their own registration policy and thus had no inspection or emissions. Go armed with the law on your side I say.

Bart

Are the car plates that size also??? I sure hope so. It would make fitting it to the rear of the Jeep so much easier.

I went to the Odgen DMV yesterday (thanks for the suggestion, Sawtooth). The lady there was very helpful and explained that since the vintage motorcycle plates are a new thing, there is some confusion about them. She apologized that their system had a glitch in it where it said I had to have an inspection, and let me renew my bike without an inspection. She looked up my other two vintage vehicles and said I'll have to come in and renew the other motorcycle in the office because the renewal form will show 'safety required', but that my 1985 truck would NOT require an inspection and the renewal should be 'normal'.

All in all, it was a very pleasant experience, unlike the Tooele office. Again, there was only one problem employee at Tooele and I may have gotten this resolved with one of the pleasant people in there, but I was in Odgen anyway so I stopped in there. In June 2016 I'll renew my other vintage bike in person at Ogden, and hopefully after that they'll get their system fixed and renewals will be 'normal' from here forward.

I was not required to show a current safety inspection before registering my vintage vehicles. Again, in the Tooele office, I initially registered them with the helpful lady on the east side of the office, not the 'other' one on the west side.

Per the state help line person I spoke to, you should have a safety inspection, but you are not required to show it to register the vehicle. It's kind of arbitrary, but I did not have to show one. If someone at a DMV office insists on it, you can have them call Branch Support to get clarification, but that may require more patience that I possess and I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
they require a safety inspection the 1st time you register a vintage vehicle here, same for you?

Nope. When I registered my Grand Prix, the phrase "safety inspection" was never even uttered by the DMV employees. (I say employees because I had to make two trips to register my vehicle--I forgot that it would need a VIN verification since I had purchased it out of state.)