Violated by UHP

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
While the Constitution/States Rghts debate is interesting (and as some of Kurt's examples pointed out we should be very grateful that we are not forced to accept as legal everything legal in another state) I still find these threads interesting.

How often do we get threads of someone upset that they got pulled over and/or ticketed for driving a vehicle they know is illegal in its set up? In this case, you have someone living in Utah, driving a truck registered in Idaho (as pointed our illegal) that he knows would not even meet safety standards there, and he is "violated" when stopped? Sorry, don't get it.

Although I will give him credit for jumping on the work to make it legal with what seems to be a pretty good attitude. Wish more would do the same....

Never once did the original poster state that he was upset about getting nailed by LEO. He knew full well the risk he was taking and willing to do what is needed to take care of the situation.

More people should be like that. I know full well that my truck does not meet Utah state law and safety standards. It is perfectly safe, but does not meet the laws. If I get a ticket or warning for that, I will smile, take the ticket and fix the violation.

Its the same with people getting mad about registration tickets in Moab over EJS., Its the law, be prepared, and deal with it.

The laws are clearly stated in the state Safety/Im manual. I have gone over it many times trying to get my truck street legal, yes some of it is up to interpitation, but its pretty clear on most of the issues the common motorist face.

Chevycrew

Never once did the original poster state that he was upset about getting nailed by LEO. He knew full well the risk he was taking and willing to do what is needed to take care of the situation.

More people should be like that. I know full well that my truck does not meet Utah state law and safety standards. It is perfectly safe, but does not meet the laws. If I get a ticket or warning for that, I will smile, take the ticket and fix the violation.

Its the same with people getting mad about registration tickets in Moab over EJS., Its the law, be prepared, and deal with it.

The laws are clearly stated in the state Safety/Im manual. I have gone over it many times trying to get my truck street legal, yes some of it is up to interpitation, but its pretty clear on most of the issues the common motorist face.

Thanks!

I have been over the inspection book, its giving me a headache.

There are some gray areas, but most is straight forward.

On another note. I ordered my rockwell pinion brake setup. That, combined with a caddy caliper will get me stopping! (E-brake)

ZUKEYPR

If that were true, no one could ever visit California from another state. I can't think of what the law is called, but each state must recognize and allow casual visitors from across state lines. It's in the interstate transportation regulations.

You are 100% correct. It's title 18 of the US Code. Problem is I cannot recall which section and have been trying to find that darn thing for a few years now. Have you ever seen how gigantic Title 18 is? I found it once and had it posted on another site that has now gone under. A friend of mine from Carson City Nevada got nailed in a huge way in Moab years back. I posted that law, he went to court, and they dismissed all if the citations. The key though to the law is as long as your vehicle is "legally" registered in your state of residence. Legal being the defining word. If you are residing in Utah but doing the old bait and switch on state registration you're hosed on that law. The only reason I was made aware of the law is because I'm a former Military Police and of course you have vehicles registered in every single state in the union on a post. As well as we used title 18 for lots of issues.

ZUKEYPR

I spent hours one day on Cornell's site trying to find that statute again and just couldn't do it. I even emailed the federal law enforcement training site, but they never replied back. It's driving me nuts, because I had it in my hand at one time and now I keep searching and searching for it but keep comign up empty.

Houndoc

Going back to my previous post, I will admit and give credit that he (thread starter) has shown good attitude and minimal blame to the UHP.

I too wish more of the folks with issues would follow the example.

k9popo

Now thats some pretty good reading right there, I think I got half way through:rofl:

Well being new here and also being a Police officer in Utah I might be able to lend a hand...If you get MAIL in the state of Utah you are considered a resident of the state and therefore are required to register your vehicle and obtain a Utah state drivers license as well as obey all the kookey laws here...

Honestly I would put some 28'' tires on and get your frame to the legal height and that would take care of some if not most of your problems and have them sign off on it...I know it will look awful but it gets you through with minimal work...

As far as court goes it all depends on your judge on what happens to ya...

I dont write fixit ticket nor would I ever...

Oh and im NOT a trooper...

K9

Chevycrew

Doing some research, I have found there is a missing section in the utah codes.

Medium duty trucks for private use. Im not trying to go this route...

Use a military 2 1/2 ton m35a2 for example.

It has a roughly 24000 gwvr, and falls under the light truck inspection of 26k or less.

That would put its required frame measurement at a maximum of 28"

Well, this truck came frome the assembly line at approx 38" according to the TACOM data sheets.

I called the safety office, they are trying to figure out how to classify this sort of truck.

Chevycrew

My little tires that I will be putting on, are 40" tall.

In the rain or on corners, I can spin the 46's now. I will have to be careful with the 40" NDT's.

I need a detroit to help the traction issue.

Chevycrew

Here is a comparison of how it will look for the UHP inspectors.

Old pic with little tires, then a current one.

Attachments

• 03-27-08_1649.jpg
    03-27-08_1649.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 05-25-08_2029.jpg
    05-25-08_2029.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Looking at the pics of your truck, you must have done something to get his attention. Noise maybe? Your truck looks like a LOT of trucks around here, and they are inspected and legal, and unless they do something dumb, they are never bothered. I know Utah is strict on the tires and fender flares, but other than that I don't see any reason to pull you over. I saw your list of violations, and I feel most were a result of the stop, not the reason for the stop. Nice looking truck by the way.