Violated by UHP

Chevycrew

OK, OK, so its my fault. 99 Chevy crew cab on rocks and 46" tires.

I have been using this truck as a daily driver. Till UHP got ahold of me today and did a complete inspection of the truck...

I was told I could not drive it, it had to be hauled or towed. (I almost called Cheston!)

I waited for him to leave, did some shopping, then drove home. Im afraid if I had stopped on a public street and not a private lot, Mr. UHP would have had it towed for me.

Here is the damage:

A court date, no fines set, just go in and see them.

Violations:

Altered Vehicle, as in...

Tires rub, frame too high, body lift too high.

Faulty equipment, as in...

No E-brake, No Mufflers, Flares not wide enough, Blue front turns and side markers, no amber corner reflectors.

Truck is true dual straight piped, blue bulbs appear white when lit, clear corners, 3" body lift.

Now I have a challenge. I will get this thing legal in Utah on rockwells!

Stay tuned...

Chevycrew

I have done some research and talked to some people.

Hopefully I can reinforce my frame, add a pinion brake, some flares, mufflers, change some bulbs, and be on my way.

All the lighting is just putting my stock stuff back in.

tdavXJ

Same thing happen to me but uhp just gave my work a warning since we do safety and im's. He yelled at me for flares, mud flaps, visor tint, brake lines being to long, no sway bars, modified steering, and no covers on my hellas.

Chevycrew

Is your current suspension the same type as stock on your turuck? If not... Good luck..

No I am solid axled, it was IFS with torsion bars, now its leafs with rockwells.

Its a clean install, looks alot like the 5500 series chevy truck suspension.

Chevycrew

Im also hoping that UHP will sign off on the repairs being made, since it is an out of state truck. Once all this crap is done, I will take it to a fair and honest shop to have the inspection done. Then register it in Utah.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
As a person going through this battle quite often, good luck, I think the biggest problems with it will be your frame height and body lift, might need to look at headlight height as well.

My brother is a safety/im guy here in Utah county, so if you want we can have him look it over before you spend money on having a shop do it.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I think that they could red flag you for good simply based off of the suspension.

I'm pretty sure that the suspension to be 100% legal has to be the same type as stock.

For example, if you sping over a truck that is sprung under from the factory... Illegal.. "technically".. I've had that looked passed in my previous rigs, but they seem to be cracking down on all aspects of the guidelines set forth by the UHP..

Chevycrew

I think Im going to kind of, build a new frame... in an odd way...

I have small tires that will cover my frame height. And rebuilding the frame should cover the body lift.

They didnt write me up for headlights, but I will be close to legal with the little tires. (the snowplow lights on my bumper save me)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think that they could red flag you for good simply based off of the suspension.

I'm pretty sure that the suspension to be 100% legal has to be the same type as stock.

For example, if you sping over a truck that is sprung under from the factory... Illegal.. "technically".. I've had that looked passed in my previous rigs, but they seem to be cracking down on all aspects of the guidelines set forth by the UHP..

Not quite---the way it reads, is any alteration to the suspension is illegal.....unless it's stronger/better than the stock stuff. (that's paraphrasing obviously....but you get the idea)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
interesting. Yet again, that could all be in the eye of the beholder.. Ya know? I swear things get worded to allow interpretation.

Green Leader

Isn't that what legal mumbo jumbo is, is interpretation? The law says that you entered there home illegally, yes but he attacked me first so the fact that I enter his home with out permission doesn't matter cause he hit me with a bat, and even though i was going to rob them blind and maybe kill them does even come into play cause i got hit. So this is a case of assault not B&E.

jsudar

What about steering? Have you got hydro assist or full hydro on that monster?

I don't think it should matter. No one has been able to point me in the direction of a law that states full hydro is not legal.

Good luck Chevycrew. I hope it all works out in your favor.

Does anyone else get the impression that UHP's safety program is a little more focused on generation of revenue (and maybe abuse of authority) as opposed to public safety?

smashmetal

I'm and Oregon resident so all my rigs are licensed in that state. According to Oregon traffic laws I was well with in my rights driving my 1 ton runner on the road. I figured driving with 235's would completly keep the cops from bothering me, but it dosent.
All i can say is welcome to Utah and your SOL thinking the residency thing would work in your favor. They don't care, the officer that happen to get me just happen to live right in my neighborhood. What a guy:mad: he could have maybe said something one out of the 200 times I drove it around the block before I took it out to the main roads.