Volkswagen TDI talk

The google says I can touch the impeller and feel if it spins by removing the t-stat, so that is the next step. If it is bad, the dealer is never getting the car again - they did the last belt and were supposed to replace the pump.

Since the intake is all plugged up with EGR residue, I dropped this off with Elf at Streamline yesterday to let them put a water pump in and clean out the intake. They had free time and can get both giant jobs done in a couple of days. I have too many projects and not enough time. It will be so nice to go from my plugged up 60hp back to my 100hp monster!

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Since the intake is all plugged up with EGR residue, I dropped this off..

Ugghhh. No wonder I keep putting this off. Please let us know what this ends up costing. Like you, my project list is too long. Playing in EGR residue just doesn't sound fun. (I've done it twice in 190K miles)

Ugghhh. No wonder I keep putting this off. Please let us know what this ends up costing. Like you, my project list is too long. Playing in EGR residue just doesn't sound fun. (I've done it twice in 190K miles)
I'll let you know for sure. Mine has 275k and it has never been done. I asked them to take photos of the intake pipes so I can post them.

Yea! This is finished and it's like driving a new car again! I can't say enough good about Elf and the guys at Streamline. I'm sure there are cheaper shops, but these guys are enthusiasts and really good at what they do (primarily vw/audi).

The price ended up around $700 for the carbon cleanup. This includes $125 for a pre-cleaned intake manifold from the local dealer. Here are some photos of the mess:
unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed (4).jpgunnamed.jpg

The biggest surprise was the birds nest of junk plugging the intake inside of the fender. Elf says there is a super-fine screen in there only on the TDI models, so it is pretty common. Hopefully I'm ready for another 275k miles now...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We just got back from a roadtrip in my '06 TDI Jetta.... around 3,500 miles over 9 days. :eek: Some of you saw the updates on FB, but for those that didn't we drove up to Banff, Canada and explored that area for 5 days, which involved a TON of driving once we were up there, as well as the long drive up & back. The car was perfect, I loved having the additional power from the recent ECU tune for passing speed and pulling hills in the mountains. My best tank for fuel after driving at lower speeds for a few days was 670 miles... I usually get 550 out of a tank! Comfortable seats, Sirius satellite radio, good tires and a well-built mid-sized car made for a enjoyable trip!

Pic at the Athabasca Glacier, right before we hiked up to it!

PA084345-L.jpg

20151006_135454-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
That's impressive range for sure! What does that translate to MPG wise?

It took 12.9 gallons to fill (48.9 liters!) over 667 miles so... about 52 MPG, which is pretty good for me and this car. I will say it's very nice to have so much range while traveling, less stops at gas stations are nice so you can spend more time traveling!

20151008_131536-L.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Yea! This is finished and it's like driving a new car again!

The biggest surprise was the birds nest of junk plugging the intake inside of the fender. Elf says there is a super-fine screen in there only on the TDI models, so it is pretty common.

Good to hear. And thanks for the head up on the snorkel I can't believe how clogged up yours was! Out of curiosity I pulled mine out yesterday hoping to find blockage, but found nothing. Turns out mine does not have a screen not sure if it came that way or not.

We just got back from a roadtrip in my '06 TDI Jetta.... around 3,500 miles over 9 days. :eek:

Super jealous of your trip. Looks like fun!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So I just heard a radio add talking about 40% off msrp for all new VW's. Do you guys think this is due to the emissions "scandel"? I honestly didn't think the news would persuade normal americans to not buy the brand. After all, there isn't much we love more as a country than cheating the system. Was the improved power and mileage part of the mainstream news coverage?

Last edited:

Troop92

If it was strong or southtowne, they regularly "mark down" cars. Base stripper models.

I know there are rebates going on, up to $1500 I believe. I'm on my second VW and would definitely get another.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
If it was strong or southtowne, they regularly "mark down" cars. Base stripper models.

I know there are rebates going on, up to $1500 I believe. I'm on my second VW and would definitely get another.

Heard 40% off at Southtowne today on the radio. :eek:

Had the Tie-fighter light come on a couple days ago and finally got around to swapping pads tonight, I can't believe they picked a 7mm allen bolt/pin to hold things on. I had plenty of 6mm and plenty of 8mm, I think i went through 5 different sets before I found one that had a 7mm. :rolleyes: I guess if I only have to replace the front brakes every 260k miles I can live with it. :greg:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I was at Strong VW on Main in SLC yesterday afternoon. Our '03 needed a new battery (2nd replacement) and the dealer actually has better pricing than national chain auto parts stores. Each has lasted 6 years, so I consider that a bargain.
Not much traffic in the sales area or the parts department, but it was a Wednesday afternoon.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Finally changed my front brakes. Went with the IDparts brake package with ceramic pads which altogether cost ~$100. Thanks Spork for the heads up on the 7mm allen! I bought one beforehand and to be honest these were probably the easiest brakes I've ever changed :cool:

I also ordered some vacuum hose from IDparts as well (OEM style). I had an EGR fault code recently. The EGR is new but the vacuum hoses looked weathered so hopefully this takes care of the problem.

I've replaced my coolant sensor o-ring twice now. I cannot for the life of me get it to stop leaking :rolleyes: It's dripping one drop every ten minutes or so.. The housing looks perfect--clean and clear of debris and I lube the o-ring before installation. I'm seriously considering coating it with something like hondabond, RTV or silicone but even then I don't think it's a proper fix. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Finally changed my front brakes. Went with the IDparts brake package with ceramic pads which altogether cost ~$100. Thanks Spork for the heads up on the 7mm allen! I bought one beforehand and to be honest these were probably the easiest brakes I've ever changed :cool:

I also ordered some vacuum hose from IDparts as well (OEM style). I had an EGR fault code recently. The EGR is new but the vacuum hoses looked weathered so hopefully this takes care of the problem.

I've replaced my coolant sensor o-ring twice now. I cannot for the life of me get it to stop leaking :rolleyes: It's dripping one drop every ten minutes or so.. The housing looks perfect--clean and clear of debris and I lube the o-ring before installation. I'm seriously considering coating it with something like hondabond, RTV or silicone but even then I don't think it's a proper fix. Any ideas?

Just curious how did you know sensor was bad? I keep getting a coolant temperature below threshold code, wondering if that's what you're fixing.

O-rings are not my friend, usually if I have issues I end up replacing them with a new one. I've never been able to get one that leaks to seal after it has started leaking.

Last edited:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
First of all, I must admit that I feel like a TDI thread traitor... but also compelled to come clean with you guys.

Our TDI is not getting much use these days. It just sits in the driveway only getting an occasional use to keep everything lubed up. So sad. It may be time to put an ad on KSL.

A few months ago I was informed that lease return Chevy Volts were hitting the market at good prices. My hunch was that I would hate the car, but I wanted to drive one just for kicks and to say I had. Well, that test drive turned into 4 more test drives and when I found a Black on Black LTZ with leather interior... well, lets just say it came home with me. Just a few days before the news stories of "DieselGate" hit. What timing.

Greg

Admin
If you're considering selling your TDI, let me know the basics... year, miles and price. I have a co-worker that's been talking about one ever since riding in mine, but I don't know how serious he REALLY is.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just curious how did you know sensor was bad? I keep getting a coolant temperature below threshold code, wondering if that's what you're fixing.

O-rings are not my friend, usually if I have issues I end up replacing them with a new one. I've never been able to get one that leaks to seal after it has started leaking.

The sensor set off a code shortly after I bought the car which indicated a failed (open) coolant temp sensor. I replaced the sensor with the new style (green = new style. Black = old style) which is supposedly updated and it came with a new o-ring. I've replaced the o-ring twice now with a new one each time.

Hmm not sure on your code. You might try replacing the sensor. They're cheap and super easy to change once the coolant is drained. After that maybe a new t-stat would help? Just guessing.

EDIT: I keep calling it a sensor. Sending unit.. not sensor :D

You might try some O-ring lube like Molykote 55 that causes a *slight* swelling. I've been using this since I learned about it and have had no leakers in that time.

Example: http://oringmonkey.com/dow55-dow-ring-lubricant-jar-p-130.html

Great thank you. I think I'll give it a shot :cool:

I found a Black on Black LTZ with leather interior... well, lets just say it came home with me. Just a few days before the news stories of "DieselGate" hit. What timing.

Cool! :cool: I had seriously lost all hope in GM cars until I rode in my bosses Volt. It is a really NICE car. Keep us posted I'd love to hear your impressions of it.

Last edited: