Volkswagen TDI talk

Cascadia

Undecided
Sounds fun. We've only had my wife's tdi q5 for a few months but I've wanted to get it tuned since we bought it. It's got gobs of power and get up and go already with 240 hp and 428 lbs of torque. I already beat most sti's but I would love to smoke everyone with a little white crossover. I will probably go with apr since they specialize in audi's and my mechanic has had good luck with them.

Cascadia

Undecided
I got our teryx 4 stuck today down in St. George. Hi centered pretty bad. Called my wife up and she came and pulled us out. Pretty funny to see and would be embarrassing if the tdi wasn't ours.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My wife's sisters family just moved out west and I have a feeling Jetta will make the journey from Lewiston to Phoenix fairly often. With that in mind I've been tying up some loose ends:

-My EGR valve started leaking oil (blows oil all over the engine) a few months ago and has gotten progressively worse every day since. I replaced it ($$$) with a new one and while it was removed I found my intake manifold to have at least a 1/4" of soot caked onto the sides.. I just cleaned it a few months ago :rolleyes:

-The rear axle/trailing arm bushings were shot. They're oil filled and one was blown out and shredded to pieces. Removing the axle took about 35 minutes however getting the old bushings out really sucked. A sawsall and large chisel saved me. I ended up going with Energy poly bushings because they were a million times easier to install plus I like a firmer ride. Anyhoo... If you need to do yours I can say it really isn't that bad of a job. You'll need something to cap the female ends of the brake hoses. It took ~4 hours total with primitive hand tools.

Hoping she's good to go once I get some new tires.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That bites! I'd say bypass/turn off the EGR valve if it's an option... it's nothing but trouble IMO. I have no idea what the intake looks like on my 2006 and I'm scared to find out with 136k miles on it.

I'm amazed your Jetta needs new tires already... how many miles on it now?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
That bites! I'd say bypass/turn off the EGR valve if it's an option... it's nothing but trouble IMO. I have no idea what the intake looks like on my 2006 and I'm scared to find out with 136k miles on it.

I'm amazed your Jetta needs new tires already... how many miles on it now?

Yeah it does. EGR's on diesels are lame! It won't pass emissions without a functioning EGR but it's not hard to block it off. That said it would probably throw a code and I can't stand having CEL's illuminated. I'll have to look into it a bit more maybe I can get around it somehow.

Miles are 285-288k--ish. I never had it aligned when I did the front bushings so the tires wore pretty quick up front. For whatever reason the country roads I live on eat bushings and swaybar links like candy. Seems like I'm always changing these things on my vehicles :-\

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
When I had my EGR turned off with the Malone Tune, they also set it up so the ECU doesn't set off a CEL. My EGR cooler is bypassed, but still in place. Not sure what the options are on your car, but there has to be something.

Sucks about the bushings and alignment! 285k is awesome though, I want to see pics when it turns over 300k!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
So there I was slowing down for a stoplight... All of the sudden this warning light pops up to inform me that I am in the crosshairs of a TIE Advanced x1 :eek: The light changes, I hammered down---grabbed second----and GTFO! While the ol' TDI is no X-wing I lost the imperial fighter none the less. Wow that was a close one :ugh:

brake-pad-monitoring-icon_zps1rawqhuo.jpg

Or I need to replace the brake pads soon :eek:

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So there I was slowing down for a stoplight... All of the sudden this warning light pops up to inform me that I am in the crosshairs of a TIE Advanced x1 :eek: The light changes, I hammered down---grabbed second----and GTFO! While the ol' TDI is no X-wing I lost the imperial fighter none the less. Wow that was a close one :ugh:

brake-pad-monitoring-icon_zpsbvlrxfsq.jpg

Or I need to replace the brake pads soon :eek:

[video=youtube;NFPI54fOWoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPI54fOWoo[/video]

I'm still running on the original fronts... 265k... :eek:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

Here's my take. The EPA is retarded and corrupt (gasp, another gov't agency that's corrupt?). VW diesel engines have some of the best fuel economy around, even before the epa emissions 'standards' went into effect. The EPA would have you burn MORE fuel at a 'cleaner' rate than have you get better MPG's. So in the end it's either sixes and you are paying much more money to big oil.

Have you ever deleted the epa required crap off of a 2010 & up Diesel of any brand? You instantly gain ~15 MPG, and that is no shit. Plus your engine will last a lot longer.

The engineers at VW are not morons. They know the epa standards here cause lower fuel economy and shorter mechanical life.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think its pretty clever that they were able to derive a way to bypass the requirements while still being able to pass both. I'm also surprised that an exec was willing to sign off on said bypass but kudos to them.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I've read in some other places that they looked at the wheel sensors to determine if it was on a dyno. Front wheels turning but no back wheel movement= emissions mode. Extremely easy to do.

A guy in the Facebook Grantsville Classifieds has an 02 Jetta TDI for sale for 2,500 with 290k miles. If anyone is interested, I can message the guy. No connection to the car or it's owner, just passing it on.

It is dark blue and looks like the twin to my 02 Jetta. Mine only has 275k miles on it and started overheating yesterday. Need to diagnose what is going on. I'm hoping not the water pump!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Mine only has 275k miles on it and started overheating yesterday. Need to diagnose what is going on. I'm hoping not the water pump!

Oh no :-\ Are the fans turning on? Pretty easy to check: Turn the key to the on position, press the AC button to turn in on and both fans should be turning.

Yes, both fans are turning on. I removed the return hose to the coolant res and it isn't squirting at all, so I'm pretty sure the water pump is bad. Still have another 25k miles to the next timing belt, but looks like I'm going to need to dig into there. Any other advice?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've heard the plastic impellers were famous for separating from the pump shaft over time, but I think that design was phased out.. Beyond that I wouldn't have a clue. Good luck keep us posted.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I've heard the plastic impellers were famous for separating from the pump shaft over time, but I think that design was phased out.. Beyond that I wouldn't have a clue. Good luck keep us posted.

I have had this happen 2 times (not on a TDI) so it is quite possible.