Volkswagen TDI talk

OCNORB

Supporting Member
My wife jumped her car across a ditch a few years ago and completely shattered the stock aluminum oil pan... She didn't even notice anything was wrong until she parked and someone asked her about the gallon of oil running out from under her car!!

We ended up putting a steel oil pan on it- I can't recall where we bought it, but it fit and makes the occasional dirt road less of a worry.

I actually have the aluminum bash plate in my garage; the holes it bolts to are stripped out and I've never found time to re-install it. The steel pan has been on for at least 3 years now with no skid plate and no issues.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think if I do this again I'll order it online, my plans of picking it up from one of the local parts place turned into way more of a wait than I expected.

OilPan_2014-10-21.jpg

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well I've had my TDI for almost a year now. The last couple couple fill-ups have put me over 700 miles to a tank and I can't put into words how amazing that has been.

I'm going to need a timing belt within the next couple of months. I've changed them on other makes without too much stress. What do you think should I give it a shot? Any advice? I'm a little intimidated by the belt tensioner as that style is unfamiliar to me.

Can you recommend someone that is competent and has experience with changing TDI belts? I don't mind driving to SLC or so to get the job done correctly.

I noticed Kerma is having a sale on the 100k mile belt kit. I called and asked a few questions about the kit but the dude was clueless... http://www.kermatdi.com/a4-alh-100-000-mile-complete-timing-belt-kit-on-sale/

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Well I've had my TDI for almost a year now. The last couple couple fill-ups have put me over 700 miles to a tank and I can't put into words how amazing that has been.

I'm going to need a timing belt within the next couple of months. I've changed them on other makes without too much stress. What do you think should I give it a shot? Any advice? I'm a little intimidated by the belt tensioner as that style is unfamiliar to me.

Can you recommend someone that is competent and has experience with changing TDI belts? I don't mind driving to SLC or so to get the job done correctly.

I noticed Kerma is having a sale on the 100k mile belt kit. I called and asked a few questions about the kit but the dude was clueless... http://www.kermatdi.com/a4-alh-100-000-mile-complete-timing-belt-kit-on-sale/

I haven't been brave enough to go past 650 miles, I believe my dad used to take his VW's to either Citrubus in Ogden or to Auto-Haus in Logan for work.

OCNORB

Supporting Member

It's not a bad job. I'm about to tackle ours for the 200k service. I purchased all the tools when I did the first belt. Just ordered a belt kit from ID Parts as they are all pretty close in price, but he allows you to specify the other new parts you need and order it all at once. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=449

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Well I just had my timing belt done. For the life of me I could not track down when the last time it was done, and the math if it was done when it should have been said it was due. I ended up ordering the Kermatdi kit. Kerma had that thing on my door two days later, as advertised all OEM quality stuff. My buddy did the timing belt for me for $150 what a deal, the old belt looked like it had a bit of life left, but $365 total was worth the peace of mind.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Well I just had my timing belt done. For the life of me I could not track down when the last time it was done, and the math if it was done when it should have been said it was due. I ended up ordering the Kermatdi kit. Kerma had that thing on my door two days later, as advertised all OEM quality stuff. My buddy did the timing belt for me for $150 what a deal, the old belt looked like it had a bit of life left, but $365 total was worth the peace of mind.

That's a screaming deal for timing belt, I think if you added another 0 you're still less than the last time I paid.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you haven't done yours yet and want to leave it in SLC for a night or two I can see if he'll do yours. Took him a couple hours when he was able to get to it.

Wow that would be awesome and I appreciate the offer. I was digging through the records last night and I think I had my numbers/milage/deadline off a bit. I'm pretty sure mine has the 80k mile rated belt on it now. If that's the case I should be good for another 24,000 miles so it should be good for awhile.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wow that would be awesome and I appreciate the offer. I was digging through the records last night and I think I had my numbers/milage/deadline off a bit. I'm pretty sure mine has the 80k mile rated belt on it now. If that's the case I should be good for another 24,000 miles so it should be good for awhile.

If I recall, that is correct... when I had the belt done on that car, I went for the best quality parts with the longest mileage rating. I may have given you confusing info when we worked out the deal... :ugh:

Alcancia

We just picked up an '05 Passat wagon TDI a few months ago. It had a junked auto transmission when we bought it. ALL North American B5.5 TDIs are autos. So, after shipping in a used 5 speed manual from the Netherlands (with correct TDI gearing), pulling other bits (clutch pedal, shifter, axles, etc.) from a junkyard Audi, and getting a tune from Kerma, the thing runs like a champ now.

This was a pic just after a wash and wax last week. It's the wife's DD now. My 2000 Jetta TDI is behind it, and the Jeep of course...

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Sweet deal, when my auto poops out I want to do the same thing. For now it seems to be doing well.