Volkswagen TDI talk

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Surging, EGR and emissions questions

So my Jetta has started acting funny this morning. While cruising at a lower/normal rpm (1800-2500) it started surging. It's like someone is randomly tapping lightly on the brake petal. It's always smoked (black) more than I would think is normal if I hammer down but it seems worse today than usual.

I checked the MAF sensor and it looked a little dirty. I cleaned it and now it looks new and shiny.

I decided to remove the EGR to have a look at the intake... Wow pretty nasty! :-\ I noticed the EGR actuator valve hose busted off the top of the actuator so it won't operate properly. I don't know if it was like that or if I broke it today.

I hate the thought of having an EGR in the first place. Not that I don't care about the environment I just think its a bad idea to put an EGR on a diesel engine. What are my options with Utah emissions? I'd like to delete it but I don't want to not pass an emissions test. It's a 2000 model does it 'need' to have one? I have the intake manifold off and soaking so now would be a great time to add a delete kit.

Thanks for any help

BTW there are no codes/CEL at this point.

Last edited:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I have a Vag Com you can use to "minimize" the egr function, but it still builds up over time. Only way you can do the delete is if you put it back for annual.

I'm getting ready to tear our intake off for the second time at 195k. Last time it was blocked off down to a dime sized path! Amazing that it ran at all. Much peppier now.

Be sure to check the bug screen on the intake. Last time the car was acting goofy the screen was jammed full of yellow jackets and butterflies.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
OCNORB - where are you located, i'd love to use your setup to get rid of my broken seatbelt chime that never shuts up even if no one is sitting in the seat. Also have a CEL on atm, believe its just glow plugs, hopefully they will be here thursday

I have nothing to contribute to your issue Rot Box, but don't you live in a non emissions county?

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Millcreek. No problem, I'm no expert on Vag Com so you'll have to know what you need done.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks OCNORB :cool: Mine wasn't quite the size of a dime but it was really bad. Now that I'm aware of the issue I need to keep a closer eye on it in the coming years. I decided to keep the EGR and such in place for now. I spent FOREVER cleaning that intake manifold and valve and I was covered in black goo from head to toe.. wow what a pain haha.

TRD270, We actually went to emissions last year.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Great now I feel the need to check mine. :shawn::rofl:

Hate to say it but it's probably a really good idea. I found the EGR valve needed to be removed before I could see just how bad it was.

Overall it wasn't a difficult job. I had it back together in 45min. I'd recommend both a long and short 6mm allen wrench. Both came in handy for me. As for cleaning the manifold good luck definitely wear long sleeves, gloves and a face shield---that crap goes everywhere! :D

I'm thinking I should have done this a long time ago. I'm snowed in right now (flippy floppy's and a t-shirt yesterday today is coveralls and boots :wtf:) so I haven't had a chance to drive it, but startup and idling is MUCH better and the engine doesn't shake like it used to. EDIT: I'm betting my dirty MAF had a lot to do with this as well.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hate to say it but it's probably a really good idea. I found the EGR valve needed to be removed before I could see just how bad it was.

Overall it wasn't a difficult job. I had it back together in 45min. I'd recommend both a long and short 6mm allen wrench. Both came in handy for me. As for cleaning the manifold good luck definitely wear long sleeves, gloves and a face shield---that crap goes everywhere! :D

I'm thinking I should have done this a long time ago. I'm snowed in right now (flippy floppy's and a t-shirt yesterday today is coveralls and boots :wtf:) so I haven't had a chance to drive it, but startup and idling is MUCH better and the engine doesn't shake like it used to. EDIT: I'm betting my dirty MAF had a lot to do with this as well.

The previous owner should have done that as routine maintenance... what a jerk!

:guilty:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think my Water pump is dying on me, got coolant dripping off the crank on the block. (just had the water pump/timing belt replaced 45k ago). :mad: Anywhere else to check before I commit to replacing the water pump? Hoses look dry, overflow tank is too far to the side, anything else to check?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I bypassed/deleted the EGR Cooler on my '06 BRM engine. My EGR cooler has been leaking since I bought it and it's super annoying, plus it robs bottom end power. I have had a new EGR Cooler for almost a year, but they're failure prone and known to last only 60-80k miles. Rather than replace a part known to fail, I just bypassed it. It was a PITA to reach, but once in there not too bad. The kit to bypass it was only $30 IIRC. The guys on TDI Club claim that you loose a little MPG and that warm up times are prolonged, but I'm not seeing either yet. It also sets off a check engine light.

I'm going to have to sell my EGR Cooler now, which I paid $340 for. The money from selling it will pay for a engine tune, gain power and MPG's and they can turn off the engine light for the EGR Cooler delete. :greg:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well I'm diving in head first :ugh: I just ordered up a Diesel Geek deluxe timing kit, a MetalNerd tool kit and some other odds and ends. Should be here next week.

Hopefully 100k miles from now I can use my sweet timing tools again :D