Volkswagen Vanagon T3 Westphalia

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I had an interesting experience this weekend. My wife, who is opposed to camping unless it involves a camper trailer, met a Westphalia for the first time. A friends parents have one and we were visiting for the 24th so I convinced them to open it up for us.
Amazingly, my wife really dug it. To the point that she's started hunting them down on the Internet (so cool to come home from work and not have it be me saying, "Guess what I found on KSL!").
Now it would be a future vehicle purchase after we've replenished our savings from buying a house this year (hopefully). But I'm wondering if anyone has owned one or has insight? I know a bit about them, but knowing more is better, right?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
There are Syncro (4x4) ones out there, but it's pretty hard to find those. This wouldn't really see much heavy off-road use. The most would be graded dirt roads with a little rutting and washboard, so the 4x4 aspect is less of a concern.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
My friend Chris out in the CA desert runs one. He's had it up some nasty stuff, too... I'd say they're fine for mild 4x4 use, and they ARE pretty comfy. The tiny tires seem to be the limiting factor, rather than the goofy suspension and lack of power. :D

edit: nice location, nerd. :D

Maddoggie1

If you're not familiar with 20+ yr old vanagons, I would look for something more mainstream and dependable.
Most that are still out there are pretty cobbled up, parts are expensive and some not available any longer.
Good vanagon mechanics are very,very rare.
I have 2 syncros, both running, 1 with subaru engine conversion.
I would drive the suby powered one anywhere, but not the vw powered one.
I've been into vw's for 41 yrs.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
If you're not familiar with 20+ yr old vanagons, I would look for something more mainstream and dependable.
Most that are still out there are pretty cobbled up, parts are expensive and some not available any longer.
Good vanagon mechanics are very,very rare.
I have 2 syncros, both running, 1 with subaru engine conversion.
I would drive the suby powered one anywhere, but not the vw powered one.
I've been into vw's for 41 yrs.

I'm an oddball vehicle guy, so mainstream ain't going to happen. ;) Plus, these are just so damn cool. And Vanagon mechanics? People actually take their vehicles to mechanics? Thats what a service manual, tool kit and weekends are for, right? :)
How do you like the Syncros? I've drooled over those for years because of their uniqueness, but I hear that the system is clunky and ands a ton of weight. Do you have either of them lifted at all? How about swing away tire carriers? I've seen those too, and that would be a nice thing to add to any Westphalia we might get, Syncro or not.
What Subaru motor did you put it? I hear the older 1.8 is practically a bolt on, but the newer ones are a bit more difficult. I know a guy who put a 2.0 Ford Focus motor in one and another guy who put a Porsche 911 Aircooled motor in. The 911 powered one will do burnouts through second gear. But either of those swaps seem a bit much. I'd want to keep this pretty simple, but more power would be a must.

Last edited:

Maddoggie1

My syncros are weekenders, I prefer them over the campers because of the bigger queen size bed.
They made really nice huge tents that attach to these vans.
The suby powered one is a work in progress as I plan on installing some of the camper appliances etc in it from one of my parts vans.
The suby engine I prefer is 2.2l from the yrs. 1990 to 1995, 140hp&140lbs. torque, also they are non-interference engines.
The suby engine just completely changes these vans into a smooth,seemless in traffic,fun to drive vehicle, also it will now do 100 mph.
The last tank of gas, I got 23.7 mpg pulling the XP,cruising 55 to 65.
I now regularly tow my XP900 with it, probably 1700lbs trailer and all.
Tires, I don't believe in oversize, undue stress on an expensive and rare drivetrain, spare is in stock position under the front.
AAA Transaxle gets $1800 plus $2400 if you core is bad to rebuild a syncro tranny.
I rebuild my own, but I been at it for long time as a hobby, and I have spares and parts.
As for power it will spin all 4 tires through 2nd gear in gravel.
Most of the syncros have a vacuum actuated locking rear diff, I plan on adding that locker to the front sometime as well, too just increase it's overall value.
Mine will never seen any offroading to speak of.

Here is the suby one.
van.jpg

Last edited:

Too Far

parts is parts
westies came in a bunch of different styles. I have had a couple of different bay windows. My favorite was the one with the huge fiberglass bubble top that was always up, ok, not a westie technically.
I had a good friend with a early vanagon model that still had the aircooled motor in it. I always liked that one because it was mostly still an old school vw when it came down to it.
If you buy one try and make sure all of the westfallia stuff is in working order. Its the camper parts that will be a bear to find. I don't think the tent parts are that hard to come by, but a broken water spout on the sink could be a real pain to find.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I grew up touring central/southern Utah in VW Vanagons, and a jaunt or two up into Glacier NP. Good memories, we later upgraded to Suburbans.

sixstringsteve

that's cool Stephen. I remember you saying last week that you wanted to eventually get one. I can't believe you sold your wife on one so quickly.

Not to dissuade you from your dream, but what does your wife think about RTT's?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Wow, those are sweet.
I've been scoping these out over the past few months (of course, now that jaXed can't search Craigslist any more, that is proving more difficult to find these across the country) and have found a number of good examples. We'll see how things pan out, but hopefully sometime next year I'll be able to add one to the fleet.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
that's cool Stephen. I remember you saying last week that you wanted to eventually get one. I can't believe you sold your wife on one so quickly.

Not to dissuade you from your dream, but what does your wife think about RTT's?

Tomi is less than sold on RTT's. She likes the Westies because they are a mini camper, and thats what she grew up with. She likes the amenities and the idea of a hard roof over her head.

What really sold her was talking with our friends parents who drove to Alaska and back in theirs this spring. They wove a rather convincing tale that had her dreaming of a Steinbeckian tour of America.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
How many miles of the trip was the VW being towed behind a wrecker? Did they leave that detail out? I kid...

sixstringsteve

She likes the Westies because they are a mini camper, and thats what she grew up with.

Ah, I see. That's like feeding a dog canned dog food. Once they taste it, they'll never eat dry food again. That's always exciting when you find something that makes your significant other interested and more likely to go camping.

My wife would rather sleep in a tent than in the back of my truck. Now I'm turning into the softie.