wagoneer springs on a yj

4x4phil

I've searched all the threads to see if anybody's done this and I can't seem to find anything. The longer springs will obviously stretch your wheelbase but what mods do you need to do to make it work? How do you relocate the shackles and to where? Would it be easier using cherokee springs? Would you still get a descent amout of flex with the cherokee spring pacs? How far back can you move the rear axle without hiting the tank? How far foreward can you move the front without relocating the steering box? Pick a question and teach me.

I did wagoneer springs on the front and cherokee springs on the rear.

P1010053a.JPG

The front was pretty straight forward. The shocks will mount to the spring plates if the length works. The front shackles will be at a little more of an angle but it's not an issue. Brake lines would be nice. The front driveline will need extended. (I did do a belly up kit at the same time and I think that contributed to the shortness of the drivelines).

Other than that everything else is normal. Steering is going to be steep, there's a few things you can do to that, the high steer knuckle is the best option but I'm opting not to but a dime into that turd of an axle.

To make my jeep sit fairly level I swaped a leaf from the wagoneer pack to the cherokee pack. In the rear, you have to extend the drive line, new brake line, and either relocate the fuel tank or put in a fuel cell. You can mount shocks to the old upper mounts but it calls for a long shock and it sits at a funky angle. It's worked for me though as a temporary fix. I welded new tabs at the bottom.
For the cherokee springs I had to make a new bumper and incorperate the shackle mounts to it. plus I had to cut a good amount out of the fenders. I got a set of pocket flares to cover this since.

4x4phil

VERY nice! How much did that extend your wheelbase? Is that a wagoneer front or rear spring? So the stock steering still works without any mods?

4x4phil said:
VERY nice! How much did that extend your wheelbase? Is that a wagoneer front or rear spring? So the stock steering still works without any mods?

"Works", yes. works great, no. It's got bump steer as you could very well guess. I haven't put the drop pitman arm on it yet. I've got power steering to put on it and I'm just too lazy to swap it twice.
I can see that it's rubbed the spring when full right but it's actually not too bad. I just don't want to put any money into this axle.
Wheel base is 102".

Another Jeep

ONDAROX
waggy springs

I slapped in a set of front Waggy springs w/4" lift, on my rear axle. But i'm already sprung-over. I had to weld in johnny-joints at the very end of the frame. Actually had to do it twice. I had to fab new brackets. So the shackles start almost behind my frame. then I had to make my own shackles "custom length". It took some trial & error, but once it was all done, it flexes awesome for leaf-springs. I pulled out two leafs. I installed a new gas tank, that was smaller. "13 gallons". I think the axle would definetly smash the stock gas tank. Those springs are longer than you think. It took alot to accomodate them, without forcing them in & flattening them out. But it rides like a caddilac now. Alot of work for leaf springs, but well worth it. If you want I can email you some pics in a few days. To show you the mounts. Either way good luck!

4x4phil

Yea if you could send me some pics it'd be much appreciated. I just wanna know what to expect when I tackle a job like this. Crimson Tide, how do those cherokee springs flex?

4x4phil said:
I just wanna know what to expect when I tackle a job like this. Crimson Tide, how do those cherokee springs flex?

Like crazy. They're a very long and very soft spring pack. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the flex. They would be softer than wagoneer springs but they're a little more work.