Wagoneer?

mhafen

I found a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer V8 with less than 100000 miles, no rust, semi regular maintanence and an 850 dollar price tag. Is it worth it? Even as a parts car could I get my money back for it?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I found a 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer V8 with less than 100000 miles, no rust, semi regular maintanence and an 850 dollar price tag. Is it worth it? Even as a parts car could I get my money back for it?

I think that'd be a fun rig to build. Hopefully it's got the paneling and everything?

wag-done-0001.jpg

Cool Burnsville off-Road

Last edited:

mhafen

Its a woody. As far as I know everything on it is great. It runs reliably and all. The problem is I am already mid way on another project and I dont have another parking space that it can take up for six months. If there are some minor things I can do to make it more marketable Im all ears. Id like to get 2500 or 3000 out of it if possible because to be honest the thing is a steal. *Side note- may be an inline 6*

mhafen

What could I do to make it worth what I want to get out of it without breaking the bank. What Ive thought of so far is 1) New tires 2) New springs (possible lift) 3) Tune up 4) Flowmaster exhaust.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What could I do to make it worth what I want to get out of it without breaking the bank. What Ive thought of so far is 1) New tires 2) New springs (possible lift) 3) Tune up 4) Flowmaster exhaust.

I wouldn't think of that as a money making rig. I'd be shocked if you could get the $ back out of it. Something to build and enjoy for a few years, sure, but I'm not sure there's a big market for built Wags. There's been a few on e-bay that I've checked out that are WAY underpriced for what the owners got in them.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'd say it's a steal if you wanted to build it and keep it. I guess you could buy and part out but since you don't have a spot for it that just won't work.

Bart

Anyone seriously building one will plan on replacing the 6 cyl motor. I'd bet if you did a motor swap to V8, one ton axles, lift, new tires and a paint job you could probably get $3500 to $5000 out of it.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
If you are around SLC you should stop by The Rad Jeeper's shop. He has been building up a personal Wagoneer that the last time I saw it was looking pretty good. His was being built in a similar profile to the blue one posted above, but he could give you lots of advice on what to look for and give you ideas on what directions to take with it.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
the radjeepers waggy is much mmore built than the blue one in the pic, i just looked at it, but i would buy this and find a friend to store it at for a few months till you can either build it or fix up to sell, cant let the deals fly by

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Anyone seriously building one will plan on replacing the 6 cyl motor. I'd bet if you did a motor swap to V8, one ton axles, lift, new tires and a paint job you could probably get $3500 to $5000 out of it.

You might think that, but you'd be wrong. :D

I am almost FSJ-free after years of swapping motors, lifts, military parts etc into them. They are definitely a great vehicle with much to admire but there is no money in them whatsoever. Just Empty Every Pocket, remember? heh

1962-- first SUV with 4wd IFS. Pretty neat.
1991-- last US production vehicle with a carb. Also pretty neat.

Interchange for nearly the entire production run. Awesome.
Buick 350's in the 60s and early 70's. Bitchin'!
M715 parts swap in! even more bitchin'.

:D

Gas4Blood

Buy it, build it, enjoy it. Waggys are sweet and have plenty of affordable mods that will make them more capable off road. If you have any fab skills you could perform a spring over in the front, shackle flip in the rear, trim the fenders, slap on some 35's, and have some fun. And I agree on the statement that Wagoneers are not an investment Jeep.