Jeep Wandering Cj

Tsleight

My daughter has a 78 cj 7 that is a handfull to drive on the highway. She has put a steering box brace on and new tires. The box is mounted firmly and no cracks in the frame. the ball joints are in good shape. Is there a good shop in Salt Lake that she can take this to get a good alignment? Thanks, Tom

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Check the steering shafts joint where it meets the steering box, it's internals are plastic and it's a poor design in my opinion.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I would check caster angle also. If it has been lifted (especially with with longer shackles) the caster angle may be too small and it will wander.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Like these guys have said. I'd get the front tires off the ground and give everything a shake. Take a pry bar of some sort and lift up on the tire with it off the ground. Look for play there that would indicate bearings. Wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. The tires should wiggle the same amount. If not, look for the linkage that is moving that is connected to the linkage that is not moving. Replace that joint. The only adjustment that an alignment shop will make is toe. You can do that at home with a tape measure. I'd shoot for 1/16 to 1/8th inch toe in.

Tsleight

We went out raised the front end gave everthing a good shake and it all seems tight. The toe in is about 3/16". the steering joints and ball joints feel good. The spring bushings are have been replaced at some point, they are polyurethane type. I have no way to check the caster angle. are there shims or some other way to get more caster?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Longer front shackles will decrease caster unless you have a reverse shackle kit installed. You can buy shims to place between the axle and springs to correct your caster.

Another thing to check is the steering box itself. It could have worn internal parts, or possibly be adjusted to tight or too loose. My Jeep drove scary until I found the steering box had been adjusted as tight as possible. The symptoms I experienced was absolutely no "return to center"

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If you have an angle finder, put it on the machined flat surface of your knuckle right next to your upper ball joint. What ever angle it reads is your caster. Adjust with shims as needed, keeping an eye on your pinion angle.

Tsleight

Thanks for the advice. I would like to get his thing to drive like my Bronco. I can let go of the wheel at 80 mph and it tracks straight. Now I have to wait for her to bring the Jeep back to look at the caster angle.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I had my CJ set up that way. I think it was the best part of my Jeep. I had to rotate my inner C's back a bit and went with high steer to get my angles right. Worth all the work. Ran better then when it was new.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Last ones I got were from Jack-it. But I think the largest ones you can get are like 4*, if that. I'd try to shorten your shackles first. Your pinion angle has to be out of wack right now. If you are happy with it right now, I'd say you need to cut and turn your inner C's.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
4 wheel parts has the shims in stock also. 4 degrees is the most I've ever seen in a shim. Try that, you may be able to get away with only 4.

Tsleight

I purchased a pair of 4 degree shims from Jack It and they snapped in two before I had the center pins tight. Went to 4 Wheel Parts picked up a set of aluminum shims and installed. The difference was night and day. I can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight. Thank you Gentelmen for your help.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You may have just solved my TJ wandering problem. My front upper CA's are adjustable and the lowers are stock. It will change lanes with the slightes input to the wheel. I have replaced all the bushings and TRE's in the front end without thinking to check caster. I'll bet the uppers are not adjusted correctly.