Welding helmets: auto darkening

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I did get a new helmet but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I should have garage wiring and such done fairly soon. My wife bought me a Miller kit. Helmet, gloves, leathers and a couple other items. I'll post up what my thoughts are when I get a chance to use it.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My wife bought me a Miller Big Window Elite about 8 or so years ago and although I don't use it very often, it is a nice helmet. I use it when getting into tight spots and am unable to flip the helmet down.

For 90+ percent of the time, I prefer my old standard big window non-electronic Jackson large glass helmet.

Mike.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'd try that Antra one if i were you.

So I did. Open box on Amazon, got it for $10 off. :D

First impression - it's ugly. I mean really ugly, it looks like a robot face from a bad 50s sci-fi movie. Not that I care, but whatev. Second impression - I could be making it up, but I think I see better than the HF helmet. I can't do a direct comparo because I used the HF helmet for a year without a protector and the viewing screen is all slagged. But I think it's better than when the HF helmet was new. I think. Third impression - the mask comes too low, or too close to my face, or something. If I'm not careful when I exhale it fogs the glass. Annoying. I might poke some holes down there or something.

But it fits well, and appears to be well made - four sensors, autodarkening and all sorts of adjustable delays and such, grind mode is a cool thing I didn't know I needed until I got it, I like that. It's definitely better than the HF hat for only a couple bucks more, so that's good.