Welding helmets: auto darkening

R

rockdog

I looked at the Millers last year at Humphries in AF. While talking with the guy helping me and telling him I'd like a bigger viewing area. He recommended a Lincoln Viking. Said that's what he had. I bought one and it has been wonderful compared to the HF crap I had before. You might want to compare the Lincoln to the Miller before you decide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 28

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I looked at the Millers last year at Humphries in AF. While talking with the guy helping me and telling him I'd like a bigger viewing area. He recommended a Lincoln Viking. Said that's what he had. I bought one and it has been wonderful compared to the HF crap I had before. You might want to compare the Lincoln to the Miller before you decide.

mmmm that's a fine viewing area...I like that a lot!!!

STAG

On my grind
Since we are posting pictures now...
weldinghelmet.jpg

Mine. Jackson Truesight W60

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
One aspect of this that nobody has touched on yet is the adjustability of the headgear.
I've been rocking a Speedglas 9100 for the last 6 years and love it, very comfortable.

speedglas-helmet-9100-with-auto-darkening-filter-9100x.jpg

I've been able to adjust it from fitting my gargantuan gourd to fitting the 4'8" boy scout I was working with for his welding merit badge.

Last edited:

Corban_White

I have the speedglass and love it, except for the rivets on the headgear that constantly pull my hair. I can't wear it without my cap underneath.

blznnp

I agree with mike, I don't know anyone who has gotten head aches, but have talked to a bunch of guys who have been in the industry a long time and they have said the same thing. I have two speed glass helmets and love them. One has save my butt a bunch of times due to it's size but I doubt you will be shoving your head between pipes to weld structural steel. I have a higher end model and a lower end one. I think it is around $150, I would highly recommend it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So I had a little welding to do last night, and I got to thinking about my HF helmet and how I was gonna burn my eyes out and set everything on fire and die a horrible death and I started second guessing myself and all my welds came out like half priced crap.

Now I have to get an expensive helmet. You guys suck*.

*Not really. Ok, maybe a little. But not a lot.

BoostedRNR

So I had a little welding to do last night, and I got to thinking about my HF helmet and how I was gonna burn my eyes out and set everything on fire and die a horrible death and I started second guessing myself and all my welds came out like half priced crap.

Now I have to get an expensive helmet. You guys suck*.

*Not really. Ok, maybe a little. But not a lot.

Yea, I know it's all in my head, but I've been thinking my eyesight has gone downhill after welding my sliders on using my hf helmet and reading this damn thread :cody:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm going to stop using any welding helmet. I figure I'll be able to see my welds much better without that dark piece of glass in between my eyes and the work.

See example:

[video=youtube;H1Ml8VAEnIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1Ml8VAEnIA[/video]

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Oh my.

http://clearwatermufflerandbrake.com/... here we are doing a welding job on the 2005 Dodge Caravan it had a busted Cadillac converter and we replaced it and did a custom welding job. now this Caravan will get better gas mileage runs client along with smooth riding. if your car is running rough and is losing power it could be because your muffler could be busted old or rusted out for an O2 sensor may be malfunctioning or bad you just don't know these are things that we could find out for you at Clearwater muffler and brake. come on by for a free estimate. tell them George sent you

XJEEPER

After running through 2 HF helmets, I purchased a budget Miller Classic unit, which performs much better than the HF units and is also more comfortable to wear. Picked it up from Praxair on 3rd West for just under $100. I love the units with cool looking graphic and giant lenses, but I can't justify paying $200-400. Maybe if I TIG welded for a living on a bench........

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My HF pile of crap died, I'm shopping for a helmet. Are there things I can look for besides brand name? Number of sensors, viewing area, adjustable delay and sensitivity, what else?

Opinions on this hat? http://www.amazon.com/Antra-AH5-350...qid=1422803113&sr=1-8&keywords=welding+helmet

That one looks VERY similar to the Northern Tool one I'm still happy with, and it's cheaper too! This is mine: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200416894_200416894

I'd try that Antra one if i were you. I'm sure it will make you happy, especially when compared to the HF one you have been using. :)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Why don't you go super cheap with the new disposable welding lenses...

newspaper_welding_mask_zps8fynsgof.jpeg

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm glad this thread got bumped. I've noticed after my last few welding sessions that my face feels warm, like pre sunburn warm. I have a Hobart impact helmet which I think is decent. Is this feeling common?