welding rearend

redrock

i have a question has anyone welded there gears in the rearend before and if so does it last?

reason why i ask is this summer i am going to buy all the stuff to do a SOA take me all summer to get it. but i want a locker for playing purposes someone said weld it and i wonder if it will last all summer?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It might, but it might not last. I have done plenty, but I have no experience with the 35. find out if it's a c-clip or non c-clip. at the very least you will need to have spare shaft on hand at all times.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I wouldn't. a locker only costs about 250 at my best guess. hook up.

are you planning on swapping out the rear end when you do the SOA? that is the big question. is it because you don't want to put money into a turd axle?

redrock

Originally posted by spencurai
I wouldn't. a locker only costs about 250 at my best guess. hook up.

are you planning on swapping out the rear end when you do the SOA? that is the big question. is it because you don't want to put money into a turd axle?
yeah i am going to swap them, i want the 8.8 or the d-44, i was just thinking about it and wanted some other opinoins, i just hate to put 250 in to a axle to just get rid of it. i don't have that many problems the way i am now just be whole lot more fun not to have any problem. i don't think i will do it but just asking

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
in that case take jeremy's advice. find out if it is a c-clip axle. this makes it a bit more difficult to weld if it is a c-clip type. you have to keep things neat and tidy in there so you can get the c-clips in and out of the carrier when you snap a shaft....notice I said when and not if.....:) hook up with the d-44 axle. I have been recently convinced that the 8.8 is a bit overrated....

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Also, keep in mind that the $250.00 can be looked at as an investment. When your done with that rear end you can always sell the lock and get some of you money back.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would say through that 250 towards a used super 35. I see them on here all the time for cheap. My bro has a rear 35 stock with 3.55 gears if you want spare shafts... 75 bones.

redrock

Originally posted by Shawn
Also, keep in mind that the $250.00 can be looked at as an investment. When your done with that rear end you can always sell the lock and get some of you money back.
are you still looking at brakeage with a locker and when buying a locker if i have c-clips do i need to tell them that

redrock

i think i should just wait for a locker till next winter when i do the make over. i hate to put alot of money into something i am getting rid of. i went five years without one whats one more summer. this summer buy everything i need for the make over.

redrock

i went to six states today spenciuri was right 250 for a locker the only down side to it all there on back order for 2 month might have it before easter

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by redrock
i went to six states today spenciuri was right 250 for a locker the only down side to it all there on back order for 2 month might have it before easter

What kind of locker is on BO for 2 months? A lockright? or a No-slip?

redrock

Originally posted by Shawn
did you try Mepco, 4 wheel wholesalers, ??
no i will have to call them i went to napa and they told me they go through six states so i went there today they said they should be here before easter. but i will call mepco

troutbum

cubi-kill
I say if it is not a c clip weld the SOB...if it is a c clip weld cleaner ;)I was running 5500 LBS on a dana 44 welded diff and beat the snot out of it without any problems, twisted two drive lines in half... but the diff was solid...( for sale if your shopping ;))

In my opinion the cross shaft is weaker than the welded spiders. If you are running 33" or smaller tires and you know how to weld I think that is the best option.