welding rearend

redrock

Originally posted by troutbum
I say if it is not a c clip weld the SOB...if it is a c clip weld cleaner ;)I was running 5500 LBS on a dana 44 welded diff and beat the snot out of it without any problems, twisted two drive lines in half... but the diff was solid...( for sale if your shopping ;))

In my opinion the cross shaft is weaker than the welded spiders. If you are running 33" or smaller tires and you know how to weld I think that is the best option.
sounds good to me i am just getting rid of it next winter upgrade to D-44 thanks

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
you know, we could make you a removeable welded spider gear, you would have to find a spider gear and I could just fill in a few teeth so you sould just remove it and put the stock one in.

troutbum

cubi-kill
COK5

If you go this route, I would do both spiders, and I would pull them out of the carrier and clean them real well, weld them up (7018) and put em back...

BLH

Ask for Mike if you do call Mepco. I personely would just weld it! if you are using to that extreme then contact Randy's ring and pinion and get a kit with a locker. This is all matter of your budget and what you use it for. You call the one in 6 states in Orem, or SLC? Cause there is a diffence.

redrock

Originally posted by BLH
Ask for Mike if you do call Mepco. I personely would just weld it! if you are using to that extreme then contact Randy's ring and pinion and get a kit with a locker. This is all matter of your budget and what you use it for. You call the one in 6 states in Orem, or SLC? Cause there is a diffence.
yeah i am just going to weld it then when i get my new axles i will look you or who ever up for a locker thanks

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by redrock
and you only have to do one gear or do it to both
and is it easier to just pull them out like that

my dad said he has done it before

the problem with that weld route is when the gears contact that welded patch it puts tremendous stress on the carrier due to the fact that the gears want to crawl up and over that filled in area. don't be surprised if you blow up....and I mean BLOW up your rear end!!:D just a thought