What car/truck/any have good horns?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm sick of the wimpy "beep beep" horn on my Land Cruiser. I'll hit a junkyard and pick up some better ones to swap in...anyone have any recommendations for specific ones to look for? I'm guessing pretty much any American car will have a decent set, but....dunno for sure.

Ideas?

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux

Showing my age here, but I had a 1955 Olds sedan when I was in college. I installed a set of 6-volt horns in this 12-volt beast, and I could scare people over a block away.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I'm sick of the wimpy "beep beep" horn on my Land Cruiser. I'll hit a junkyard and pick up some better ones to swap in...anyone have any recommendations for specific ones to look for? I'm guessing pretty much any American car will have a decent set, but....dunno for sure.

Ideas?

Where is the thumbs down button?

I read a pirate thread that says 82 buick dual horns or horns from a 91 or older grand marquis/crown victoria

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Snag a dual horn set up out of one of the GM boats of the 80's. Caddy, Buick, or Olds.

I read a pirate thread that says 82 buick dual horns or horns from a 91 or older grand marquis/crown victoria

So as I kinda thought, most 'Merican cars. Fullsize ones, anyway.

Showing my age here, but I had a 1955 Olds sedan when I was in college. I installed a set of 6-volt horns in this 12-volt beast, and I could scare people over a block away.

That is a neat car! 6 volt horns might be tough to come by though.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Come on, go full-on redneck with train horns.
You could even tie it in to your on-board air :)

train horn.PNG

Hearing protection required!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Hella Supertones. Hands Down. It's how a Rally car says, "MOVE!"

Hella Sharptones are good too.

They're both crazy loud. like 118db.

There are a few knockoffs on ebay or Amazon that are decent. But when it comes to knock offs pay for the best.... of the fakes...

We put some 80's caddy ones on my buddies motorcycle after a few close calls. They work well too.

I'd bring my little lithium ion jump starter pack with some alligator clips to the junkyard and you can try a few out.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My late-model Jetta has a great horn! I actually bought a used one, to put on either my JKU or my KTM.... I love the sound, LOUD and good tone. People move when you lay on the horn.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Samurai, all the way man. Nothing says your tough like a Samurai horn. :D

I'm guessing my '90's Toyota horn is VERY similar to your '90's Samurai horn. :p

- - - Updated - - -

My late-model Jetta has a great horn! I actually bought a used one, to put on either my JKU or my KTM.... I love the sound, LOUD and good tone. People move when you lay on the horn.

Jetta, check. I'll add that to my mental list of cars to look for. :cool: