what could I buy for...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
For an 85 DD commute, I wouldnt recommend a XJ, they arent the best on dependability........

:confused::confused::confused:

I've got 135K on a 4.0L ZJ and we put 185K on a 4.0L XJ. I'd buy either one again in a heartbeat. I kind of liked the XJ better, esp. for a trail rig. Aside from TBI Chev's, they've been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
:confused::confused::confused:

I've got 135K on a 4.0L ZJ and we put 185K on a 4.0L XJ. I'd buy either one again in a heartbeat. I kind of liked the XJ better, esp. for a trail rig. Aside from TBI Chev's, they've been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

We have 110k on a 4.0L WJ now. We had some brake issues that were taken care of under a TSB, and a transmission issue that ended up being something electronic. Not a single lick of problems with the engine. It runs like new and doesn't use any oil. I've owned three 4.0Ls now and the only problem I've ever had with one is when I tried to start it when the cylinders were all full of water. :ugh: They are big, heavy, and don't make much power, but they are reliable.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I think its more of a wheeling issue when it comes to reliability and unibody. PLus lifting for 33" tires would require 6" lift with trimming, at that point your talking new driveline, SYE, lots of other mods on top of the tires and lift cost.. then you run into what my brother matt is having thats the unibody separating from the frame... I love the cherokee, even GC, I am looking into getting one to tow my little suzuki to moab and back and have a DD, but I wont wheel it on anything more than moderate trails, and off camber or flexing long term is OUT of the question.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think its more of a wheeling issue when it comes to reliability and unibody. PLus lifting for 33" tires would require 6" lift with trimming, at that point your talking new driveline, SYE, lots of other mods on top of the tires and lift cost.. then you run into what my brother matt is having thats the unibody separating from the frame... I love the cherokee, even GC, I am looking into getting one to tow my little suzuki to moab and back and have a DD, but I wont wheel it on anything more than moderate trails, and off camber or flexing long term is OUT of the question.

Let me get this straight. You would tow with a Grand Cherokee, but you wouldn't wheel one? :confused:

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
towing a little 2500 lb suzuki is much different than banging one on the rocks I spent 2k-3k on :) And wanting it for a DD

mbryson

Supporting Member

I don't think I'd use either rig to tow anything heavier than 2500 lbs or so. Frames are nice to have for that kind of stuff (IMHO). Definitely not a 1200-1500 lb trailer with a 2500-3500lb trail rig on it. Buy a cheap half ton truck/suv for that. Some of them even get respectable mileage for a daily driver.

How could the unibody separate from the frame? Got pics?

Why do you need 6" of lift for 33" tires? 4-4.5" would be plenty for 33" on an XJ. I bet it could be done on a ZJ, but I'm not sure (yet ;) ). I had about 6" lift with 35" tires on my XJ. I'd not cross the 33" threshold with another XJ and probably won't with the ZJ.

IMHO, the unibody has a set 'lifespan'. It can only twist so many times and then it's junk. (so does a frame for that matter, it just happens to be a much longer life span) If you realize that going in, you're fine.

For $3-4K, (back to the original post) I'd shop pretty hard for the RIGHT XJ, ZJ and think you could do pretty well and stay to the budget outlined. They're decent rigs and fairly reliable. I'd give the nod to the XJ for reliability just because it doesn't have all the foo-foo crap a ZJ or WJ has typically.

IMHO, there's really nothing wrong with a Toyota, but I DON'T fit in them at all. They're just not comfortable for me to drive or even ride in. They've earned their reliability reputation but there's still Toyota junk out there just like there is Jeep junk, Land Rover junk and ??? junk.

Let me get this straight. You would tow with a Grand Cherokee, but you wouldn't wheel one? :confused:

I'd prefer not to tow with a uni-body vehicle. I did tow my tent trailer, but does that really count?

mikeytheboarder

buy my 1987 4 runner its 1,000 throw in a solid axle down the road and have fun with it in the summer, new tires cd player, great gas mileage 22re motor. 801-860-8162

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
We've got an XJ that we've been considering letting go. We need something different for daily driving and traveling distances.

97 XJ, I6, 5-speed transmission, 5" lift w/ 35" tires, rear axle is a 2wd v6 (5x4.5 lug which matches the front) toy axle with an tacoma electric locker 3rd, front is a high pinion d30 (no locker) both geared at 4.10. It purs down highways nicely and passes inspection w/ mud flaps.

If you want to talk more PM me. I haven't fully decided to sell it yet, hence no 'for-sale' ad anywhere.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I meant flat towing my Sidekick, not throwing it on a trailer. I know that a straight six Xj could handle towing my little ride down to moab and back, it would be a few times a year deal, and have the jeep as a DD. Just more comfortable that way! And I can break my ride in moab and still have a ride home....luckily havent done that yet!

mbryson

Supporting Member
I meant flat towing my Sidekick, not throwing it on a trailer. I know that a straight six Xj could handle towing my little ride down to moab and back, it would be a few times a year deal, and have the jeep as a DD. Just more comfortable that way! And I can break my ride in moab and still have a ride home....luckily havent done that yet!

I've 'flat-towed'. I have a trailer now (well, not at the exact moment, but I'll have it at the end of the month). There's a few reasons. Probably not for this thread, though. I'd still rather not tow with an XJ. A Tahoe, 1/2 ton pickup or similar would get as good or better mileage than the XJ and you could put your rig on a stretcher (which is worth it, BTW). Again, this is my opinion based on my experience. If you're convinced that setup will work, go for it.

sixb

Will work for beer!
The real issue is gas $ and an 85 mile round trip commute. I need to sperate daily driver from commuter.

To me a daily driver and a commuter are one in the same, also a 85 mile commute and a built trail rig don't go hand in hand. IMHO you need to find a good economical commuter and either build your Monterio or buy a better trail rig. Unless I'm missing something thats how I see it:)

well let me try on this.
the way I would do it is:
Keep the Monty as trail rig and build it up as your experience and wheeling style mandates.
Get yourself nice 4cyl compact car for commuter car, usually you can buy them for like 6k or less with low mileage.
There is no perfect solution to this and you will have to make up your own mind on this. Bying someone elses built vehicle might be a good but it could also be pricey experience especially if the rig has been jerry rigged.
just my $0.02

I see it the same way.

Think older Sentra or Corolla or Prizm: 30-40mpg, dirt cheap. I drove a Sentra for several years and it saved our family's butt. During that time I also picked up a cheap older burb for $1500 to serve as family hauler and tow rig for my trail rig.

If your commuter HAS to be 4x4:
My first choice would be an XJ. Had one. Loved it. Think 17mpg. I did 2" boost in the front, 3" blocks in the rear (leveled it) 30" tires and rear lockrite. I did most trails I wanted to, including several 4+ in Moab and all of AF Canyon.

A tracker might get 20-25mpg, and that's what I'd get if I wanted an economical 4x4. 4 cyl YJ or TJ too...for a while. EFI '85 runner might be on the list.

Even a newer 4cyl runner would be a decent commuter...just keep the tire size around 31". I carpooled with a guy that had a 90's 4cyl 4runner and it drove great, had enough power for the commute, was quiet, etc. I think he got just over 20mpg. It won't be very cheap though.

My neighbor just went through this, looking for a car for his kid. He was focused on Pathfinders, Rodeos and 4runners. I told him bang for the buck, get an XJ. He did, and is very happy.

I'd get a Sentra though, and keep building and wheelin' the Monty!

Houndoc

In the near future, a seperate dd is for sure in the plans. Most likely a Subaru (like the AWD option in the occasional nasty snow storm). I think that was part of a previous post.

Main issue is what I could get for my $$ if I can sell Monty. If not, then I stick about $2k into it for front ARB w/ on board air, do some bumper and fender trimming and sliders (may hit the board up for help on the slidders and trimming if I go that way).

thanks for the comments from all!