What did you build your 4x4 for?

What type of 'wheelin' did you build you vehicle for?

• Total voters

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
When I started my project (79 Toy) I tried to force myself to build it around 31" mudders. I wanted to try and prove that a "stock" rig could go were the big boys could go (in Logan anyway). With flexy suspension, t-case reduction, locker, light foot, and some minor body damage it more than inpressed me. But with any addiction I just wanted more and more and thats why I was able to vote 4+. Who knows mabey next time I can vote 5.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Rot Box said:
When I started my project (79 Toy) I tried to force myself to build it around 31" mudders. I wanted to try and prove that a "stock" rig could go were the big boys could go (in Logan anyway). With flexy suspension, t-case reduction, locker, light foot, and some minor body damage it more than inpressed me. But with any addiction I just wanted more and more and thats why I was able to vote 4+. Who knows mabey next time I can vote 5.

Where do the 'big boys' in Logan go? I'm up there quite frequently..........

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but the 2 most difficult trails I know of are Providence canyon, and mabey Millville canyon. But I've gone up both with open diffs in the past. But when they are wet they can be a challenge. I guess I should have said big trucks not big boys. Anyway there is a ton of land to cover and some pretty good scenery too. expecially over the border into idaho.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
nanoman said:
When I got mine from Jeff it was all but a buggy. I tried to get plates but no go. So it is a trailer baby. I didn't really think of driving it around anyway. Much faster (and comfortable) to drive the truck instead. Now with all the changes we have made it is nowhere close to "legal". I didn't really want a straight "go anywhere" buggy either. It goes most anywhere, anywhere I have the nuts to go anyway. All in all I am happy with what she is now. :)
You bought Beach's rig, huh? Cool. :cool:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Rot Box said:
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but the 2 most difficult trails I know of are Providence canyon, and mabey Millville canyon. But I've gone up both with open diffs in the past. But when they are wet they can be a challenge. I guess I should have said big trucks not big boys. Anyway there is a ton of land to cover and some pretty good scenery too. expecially over the border into idaho.

I think you're right. Prov. seems to be the well known 'hard' trail in the area. Just wondered if you had some 'local' knowledge in Cherry Creek, Birch or ???? canyons that would be challenging (at least on the order of Prov., preferably harder). It tends to turn into Forest Service pretty quick up most of those canyons, so I'm not sure how many trails would even be available to 4WD. LOTS of cool stuff to see from horseback, walking or a snowmachine, though.

Bone Down

cruiseroutfit said:
Capable of a 4-4+, but comfortable for several days on a 3 rated trail...

iagree.gif
--- same here.

I voted 3.5 - 4+, but would still like to remain street legal and body damage free.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I actually grew up at the mouth of Cherry creek though there's not much wheelin there, and birch and a few others are now private. I usually go into Idaho (approx. 10miles north of Logan) to get to the long trails. You could spend days up there and not see the same thing twice. A few switchbacks, rocky climbs, ice caves, waterfalls, and old logging roads nothing i'd ever rate over 4, but definatly a good time. If there is a trail up there I've probably been on it. If thats your type of wheelin let me know a couple of local friends and I are planning a trip.

78mitsu

Before I built my rig I did a lot of thinking. and I asked a lot of people about what they would have done different. I've also watched a GEO tracker with a 2" body lift outclass a rig running on 40" tires. It's more the driver then the machine, but if the machine can't handle the driver... I built my rig for good ground clearance and with the motto Light and low to the ground(within reason) to keep the CG low, I also wanted something I wasn't afraid to break and something that fit my driving syle.

kyojin

I started off small with a stock 97 Wrangler Sport with automatic. It came with 31's so I kept those for a little while. Then I got a 2" coil spacer lift and a 1" body lift with 33's. Soon that wasn't enough so I went with a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex lift with some spacers and 35's. I then extended my wheel base to 107". I am finishing up with the body stretch. I'll probably get a set of 37's for offroad and keep the 35's for the street.

My Jeep is my DD so dependability/reliability is first and foremost. I am building it for 4+ trails that I can drive to and drive back from. When my son gets old enough he will be able to accompany me so the added room from the stretch will be nice.

Basically I built it for mild off roading but just like everyone else I got addicted and had to go bigger and better.

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
I voted 2.5. 79 toyota with shell and carpet. I like to get my truck mudy but I hate trail fixing so I stay away from the obstical stuff. I would rather go to a far off place and camp with good friends and good food. Some people like to try and get up a rock all day but I am not one of them. Thats just me.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Rot Box said:
I actually grew up at the mouth of Cherry creek though there's not much wheelin there, and birch and a few others are now private. I usually go into Idaho (approx. 10miles north of Logan) to get to the long trails. You could spend days up there and not see the same thing twice. A few switchbacks, rocky climbs, ice caves, waterfalls, and old logging roads nothing i'd ever rate over 4, but definatly a good time. If there is a trail up there I've probably been on it. If thats your type of wheelin let me know a couple of local friends and I are planning a trip.

I grew up in Smithfield. I know the area pretty well. Most stuff I've seen only requires clearance and not even necessarily 4WD.

Cronquist's have shut off Birch?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
jack said:
I love the rush of short hill climbs, nothing like feeling your front wheels leave the ground as you punch it over.

Like a speed bump, or curb?

Kramnden

I am, like most of you, still building my "rig". Mine is a 99 Jeep Cherokee with a 2" puck lift in the front and 2" shackles in the rear. Besides that, I'm stock. I've taken my Jeep on Hell's Revenge, Fins and Things, Poison Spyder Mesa, and even out to 'Lil Moab. I voted 4-4.5 because I love doing the (what seems to me) extreme stuff. It's very fun and very techincal. Some day, I hope to have my rig up to par with 5" lift and 32" tires.

O'neal

?????????
I built mine mainly for everyday driving>hunting ,fishing,putting mile's on rather than my good ride,beating the crap out of,the yearly trip to moab and can handle the 4-5+ trail's although 37's and stock birf's are really pushing it now not to mention 4:10's with the 37's down the highway suck.
My next and final purchase's will be a set of long's an adapter to run two tranny's,maybe a gearset for the case and a new set of skin's and then I'll be done.I dont have the cash right now to make an extreme ride but one that can do most of thing's and I'm happy with that.