What did you work on Today; Home Edition

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My oldest (11 in two weeks) wanted to work on something with me today- which is rare. So we put together a quick and dirty wall mount for our 11 Ryobi chargers. I let him do a good deal of the measuring, marking, leveling and a little sanding and he did great.
View attachment 167915
We still need to organize the cords but it turned out pretty good. I let him determine what order the chargers were in but they are interchangeable so my OCD might kick in and change it.

Listen I'm not one for doom and danger on the internet but I don't think keeping those batteries on chargers is a good idea. I don't even keep my batteries in tools.

Screenshot_20240102_234835_Facebook.jpg

*Short version*
Lots of stories of tool battery fires from storage on chargers/ storage with draws.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Listen I'm not one for doom and danger on the internet but I don't think keeping those batteries on chargers is a good idea. I don't even keep my batteries in tools.

View attachment 168233

*Short version*
Lots of stories of tool battery fires from storage on chargers/ storage with draws.
I don’t always store them on the chargers but when we need the multiple chargers it’s nice to be able to have ease of use.

N-Smooth

Likely that's way more amperage draw than the (likely 20amp) plug can provide though.
Do as you do, but check the back of each charger and see how much they pull first.
Ask @Tonkaman about his plugged in tool (flashlight) failure that nearly took his house.
I actually calculated it before and it was less than 5 amps IIRC so I’m in the clear. 50W per charger @ 120v. 11 chargers.

Yup, .417A each according to the interwebs calculator. Either way it is good practice to remove them from the charger when they’re done. I’ve had these batteries for years and I’ve had 3 or 4 die on me but never had one get sketchy (knock on wood). I’ve been meaning to put in a smart outlet or timer and have the chargers turn off at night.

Edit: and the lipo’s for our r/c’s are put in store mode and in a burn bag when they’re not being used. Those things are scary!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My 3 year old threw a fit a couple weeks back when it was time to be done playing switch and threw the mini joycon that he was playing with. It broke the top of the joystick off. These are the controllers that slide on the sides of the screen to make it mobile and he uses those ones because he has tiny hands and had trouble reaching the buttons on a full size controller. I was pissed that new joycons cost $80 then remembered about ifixit. I was able to find just the joystick for $15 and added the tools for another $5 because I didn't have a tri-lobe bit that holds the case together. Another $5 for shipping and 5 minutes to get it swapped out.

20240108_162353.jpg
20240108_162347.jpg
20240108_163213.jpg

N-Smooth

My 3 year old threw a fit a couple weeks back when it was time to be done playing switch and threw the mini joycon that he was playing with. It broke the top of the joystick off. These are the controllers that slide on the sides of the screen to make it mobile and he uses those ones because he has tiny hands and had trouble reaching the buttons on a full size controller. I was pissed that new joycons cost $80 then remembered about ifixit. I was able to find just the joystick for $15 and added the tools for another $5 because I didn't have a tri-lobe bit that holds the case together. Another $5 for shipping and 5 minutes to get it swapped out.

View attachment 168611
View attachment 168613
View attachment 168614
I’ve always been afraid a pro controller or joycon is going to get tossed and broken by my turd kids so it’s good to know they can be repaired.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm surprised it's lasted this long. He had the strap on his wrist so he dropped the controller and swung it and he hit his new teeter popper thing which broke it. I'm more than happy to share the tools of anyone ever has a need.

rholbrook

The dish washer started popping and smoldering. Luckily I was watching the weather before going to bed so I heard it and ran and turned off the breaker. Who benefits from this is my wife. Of course if one was ready to burn down the house, all the other appliances are ready to burn the house down. I spent Saturday buying and replacing appliances. Lucky me IMG_2085.jpeg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My shop exterior project is finally done View attachment 169485with today’s install of the corner pieces. Had to get creative since I don’t want to risk denting panels by putting a ladder against them. The tallest a-frame ladder I’ve got is 10’, so no bueno. 🤷‍♂️
Beaut! I love those high windows so much. I wish I could put some in but I plan on doing a lean-to next summer and I don't have the height. You could still do one with yours and park a frickin tractor under it if you wanted. Love it.

The_Lobbster

My shop exterior project is finally done View attachment 169485with today’s install of the corner pieces. Had to get creative since I don’t want to risk denting panels by putting a ladder against them. The tallest a-frame ladder I’ve got is 10’, so no bueno. 🤷‍♂️
Don’t you have a set of rolling stairs? Or perhaps that was somebody else I was visiting the other day.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
That looks GOOD!
Beaut! I love those high windows so much. I wish I could put some in but I plan on doing a lean-to next summer and I don't have the height. You could still do one with yours and park a frickin tractor under it if you wanted. Love it.

Thx. The opposite side will have a lean-to below the 14’ window height like you’ve mentioned, but not for a couple more years. 🤘

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Don’t you have a set of rolling stairs? Or perhaps that was somebody else I was visiting the other day.

You remembered right. I’ve been tempted to drag it outside a time or two, but decided it wasn’t worth it. I’ll be using it mostly to panel the ceiling and re-install my lighting and whatnot.