General Tech What did you work on Today?

Bart

Well, this is a lame pic for what is happening, but I like to include a visual. You may notice the cage has been removed. It was seriously the ugliest cage I'd ever had and I couldn't wait to get rid of it. At Safari last year the heater core started leaking so I bypassed it and at the end of the season the radiator was not holding pressure. In preparation for the CJ front clip I pulled the hood, radiator, and grill. I also puled the heater core that will be going in later this week. Not as much done as I would like but it's a start.

Attachments

• projectbegins.JPG
    projectbegins.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 18

Ashcat

Built a heat exchanger for my diesel forced air heater. A 2 car garage is too small to efficiently heat and replace spent fumes with fresh air. This barrel reaches 500* and the exhaust is about 212* I get the heat without the carbon monoxide now. 7" elbow fits the flame cone, reduced into cheaper and readily available 6" components. The reducer fits another 90* elbow that feeds a 2.5' tube inside the barrel. The exhaust has its own 2.5' tube that exits the barrel into elbows fitted to a register box that exits the garage door.

063.jpg065.jpg064.jpg

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Built a heat exchanger for my diesel forced air heater. A 2 car garage is too small to efficiently heat and replace spent fumes with fresh air. This barrel reaches 500* and the exhaust is about 212* I get the heat without the carbon monoxide now. 7" elbow fits the flame cone, reduced into cheaper and readily available 6" components. The reducer fits another 90* elbow that feeds a 2.5' tube inside the barrel. The exhaust has its own 2.5' tube that exits the barrel into elbows fitted to a register box that exits the garage door.

View attachment 101730View attachment 101731View attachment 101732

How well does this work? I have the same heater and hate the fumes.

Ashcat

Cool idea for a heat exchanger . How do you get outside now?
Front roll up for now. There's another door that leads to the kitchen also. Disabling this door (seasonally) was my best option instead of hacking my siding up. Since we plan to sell this house, I saw the door as my disposable execution for an idea like this. If we were committed to this house, I would've gone wood stove with all the appropriate duct work.
Looks very professional for a home brewed shop heater. Good work sir.
Thanks now I can continue building without bitching about winter. Haha
How well does this work? I have the same heater and hate the fumes.
I'll know for sure how long and to what temp in a few days once I get home to the cooler weather we're getting. I don't expect this to produce a tropical climate but it should make it comfortable over the alternatives. Yesterday was pretty mild and I had the shop door open while I test fired for 20 minutes burning off the barrel paint, as I was checking temps with the pyro, I was getting toasty in my sweatshirt. I'll get back with more details including my shop size.

EDIT: Today I gathered some temps. It was 48* or maybe even low 50*s when I got home this morning. After about 20 minutes the garage was a comfortable 70*+ I like it so far.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
It was a busy weekend getting ready for winter.

Friday night I winterized the fresh water system on our coach. Saturday I changed the oil, oil filter and coolant filter then pressure washed the under-carriage before putting her to bed for a few months.
15hjde.jpg

I put the hardtop on the Jeep a few nights ago but Saturday afternoon I pulled the Jeep in and serviced it along with rotated the tires.
sqp6aa.jpg

Then yesterday after the wife and I returned from breakfast I threw her car on the lift to service it and rotate the tires. We should now be good until after the holidays so I can get some other things done.
10gwye9.jpg

Mike.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Gave a 14B some love these past few weekends and finally got it installed in my buddies blazer. He has a king pin dana 60 front and had a semifloat 14b rear that the pinion bearings took a shit in at 60mph:eek:. We picked this one up from the local junk yard and it was in really good shape. I torched off the old bracket and he grinded it smooth.

87 or newer extra ribbed 14B 200$
Blue torch fab Diff cover 60$
pinion shovel 54$
weld on caliper mounts 35$
Spring perchs 40$
4.88 RP 220$
1350 Ubolt yoke 70$
Rotors, calipers, pads, and brake lines 200ish$
Shop supplies and pizza 120$

4.88 installed. I tried talking him into welding up the spiders but he likes to streetqueen it a lot and is too broke to buy a Detroit.

12246901_10156300178320473_3077858402514449941_n.jpg

Blue torch fab Diy diff cover. He wanted it personalized so i cut this chevy tag for him and welded it backwards by accident.:rofl: The grind marks on the face is where i had welded a length of tube to hold onto as i ran the mating surface against my 12" disk sander to make if flat again after all the welding.
12308445_10156338350260473_627733131940430801_n.jpg

We put some new disc brakes on it with some weld on brackets and bolted on a sweet pinion shovel.
12301750_10156343075255473_7358101812804026871_n.jpg

Fitting it up. He bought new perches that we welded on once we figured out the pinion angle. I welded on a small truss out of 3/8x3" flat bar mostly to keep the house from spinning free from the tubes and for link mounts down the road.
12274253_10156343221430473_5642168753363584773_n.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Tore down one of my old Samurais for parts, a couple of the of the parts I wanted were the frame, engine and tranny.
image.jpeg

Then I flat towed it down to the car wash with the 4 wheeler.
image.jpeg

Hardcastle

View attachment 101730View attachment 101731View attachment 101732

No that we've had some cold temps i'm curious to hear if this is working well for you?

Ashcat

Yeah it just has to run a little longer. I don't run it more than 45 minutes at a time usually before like a 15 minute break. I run a floor fan into the intake to help it not work so hard and brings the barrel heat to the front of the garage. It will consume 5 gallons after about 3-4 days if I'm spending a lot of time out there. It's much cheaper than what my neighbor pays in propane with his patio type burner.

OB1

I insulated my garage door today. Using my buddy heater it got up to 55 degrees. I may get something done now on the CJ. :)