what do you WANT to be doing? (work/life question)

smartass_kid

So, as you may remember I recently got divorced and all the dust has settled for a few months now. I have been doing a lot of self evaluation and life adjustment mostly for the dating realm but am also realizing I kinda hate my job/industry. I changed companies a few years ago to come to a smaller local place and see a glass ceiling here so I could leave and go back to the larger corporate i used to work for or another company but I think I flat out don't like the industry. (construction product estimating)

i feel like i could sell my house, pay off all debt (approx. $18K), rent a place, find something tolerable for work that pays my minor bills and go back to school for another career. Plan to check into some aptitude test to see if something comes up that i haven't thought of.
I've done some looking at careers that are expanding, careers that pay well and doing some thinking about what I actually enjoy doing. I don't want to take a pay cut to try out another career and i think this is a possible solution

Just spitballing and respect the opinion of most of you on here LOL
thought?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I feel like work is work and as long as it pays the bills and affords me the time off to go play when it's time to play, then I'm not too concerned over what the work is exactly. Paying off your debt is a good idea, a great idea in fact, but take a careful look at whether it's smart to use your home equity to do that.

I think if I were in a position that I could hit the big reset button, I'd pull a @sixstringsteve. I'd probably still own property somewhere, but I'd like to have the freedom to work from wherever too. I'd spend a lot of time on the road for sure.

But mostly I think it's about balancing quality of life with a quality life. Do what you need to be healthy in your head, and then find a way to help others do that too, and you'll have it made.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I like what I do for the most part. Its been a little boring for the last year. But I'm trying to keep it interesting by learning how to do new stuff using my software to design things better.

But If I had enough not to work anymore, I'd get myself a 130 Land Rover Defender Crew Cab Cummins swap, 68RFE trans and an Atlas transfercase and D60's all around. With a tray back and then I'd travel the world.

I'd have to ditch the kids though, the wife and I'd have a lot of fun.

Australia, Africa, Russia, Chile are on my bucket list.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I'm just working on not having to go to work anymore. That's not being done working, just being done having a place of work that I have to go to. If I can cut tether, then I'm more free to travel and spend my time doing more of the things that bring me joy.

This^ I'm currently in a position where I'm essentially forgotten (IT) until something breaks and stops production, and I'm grossly underpaid for the position. I've been applying for remote positions and positions that I can use my other skills that I once prided myself on. I have full custody of my two kids, but most of the summer they are with their mom, so I could travel and work at the same time if I find the right opportunity.

Last edited:

Bucking Bronco

I was in a very similar situation 4 years ago. I've been operating my own business but in an industry with no growth, so I'm basically stuck. I also got divorced and realized I wanted more. I chose to go back to school for engineering and I'm two years in and so far I'm enjoying it. Time goes by so fast, I feel like I just started.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What I want to be doing changes so much that I couldn't manage to make a career change to follow that. I've resolved that work is work and home is home. I don't hate my job but it has its moments. It pays and demands enough that I can do much of what I want in my free time. I am able to explore hobbies, vacation, and live comfortably. I'd love it if I got paid more or had more PTO but really I can't complain much. I do my 40 a week and hang it up as I walk out the door at the end of the day.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I do my 40 a week and hang it up as I walk out the door at the end of the day.

Man, if I had a wish it would be this. Put in 40 hours a week, 8-5s or better 4-10s and then just be a dad. I currently travel quite a bit and it sucks to watch your kids grow through facetime... :(

I can't complain about the gig I have, the bills are paid with lots of perks, but being the token old guy who waited too long to have kids, I hate that I am not around them like l would like...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Side note for the Smart Ass Kid, you can never go wrong with education, if you can figure out how to pull that off it would be worth it. But I agree is it near impossible to choose what to go into.

The idea that someone said, to rent your house and minimize, you might be able to live of that difference between what you collect and what your mortgage is...

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
@smartass_kid
If you could do anything you wanted for a career and money didn't matter what would you do? I get that there are a lot of things you probably can do or could tolerate doing but what is your dream job?

Last edited by a moderator:

Houndoc

Love my current job and career, but would like to be able to switch gears so that more time could be spent involved with international development/service projects.

I am working from this side on the organization and funding (through Rotary International) of some projects in Uganda but would be great to be more hands on in the countries with projects, training etc. Even a couple trips a year would be fantastic.

smartass_kid

glad i checked into this today lol
i am slowly getting the balls moving to do this or see if i could make it work, which i know i can.
did two online aptitude test through SLCC and have a consult/interpretation next friday. my idea is to get the career recommendation and either do classes there or check out other colleges.
they do have a wide variety of programs so that is nice.
I have an associates degree already so hopefully a bachelor wouldn't be a big stretch if i decide to go that way. plan to be enrolled full time somewhere in the fall.

i know my house would net me 50-60k after i sold it so debt and college cost are easily taken care of. i will speak to a realtor again once the schooling stuff is more solid. the housing season is just starting so i got until october maybe before it wouldn't be a good time to sell.

the next issue is where i am going to live/work. i do have my son 50% of the time and have to live within the valley but not limited too bad with location. i would work either PT or FT to support myself and leave the home sale cash alone until i am done with school. i already have a decent PT gig so that could become FT and gives me free time for school. i got a few short term options with friends if i am between places after selling if nothing looks feasible to rent.

i have considered renting my house out and living somewhere else but:
i don't want the headache of being a landlord
would only get about $500 monthly which would help but not a large enough income to do the school thing
i considered selling to invest in something, but the best investment is MYSELF
selling seems like the best way to hit the reset button career-wise with going full pickle

@smartass_kid
If you could do anything you wanted for a career and money didn't matter what would you do? I get that there are a lot of things you probably can do or could tolerate doing but what is your dream job?
i have no idea lol
i had planned to take some woodworking classes next fall so i could generate a side business building things or restoring furniture.
i like buying/flipping cars but not very consistent or likely to be sustainable.
i don't mind a lot of things career wise and may end up in something "boring" that i enjoy and pays well but gives me better quality of life. i'm totally ok with that.
i do enjoy beers and liquors but feel like the brewery path is a highway; there are some young liquor places around the valley that i try to get into and use whatever degree i get to make myself valuable. accounting, business, marketing, manufacturing...etc

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The next issue is where i am going to live/work. i do have my son 50% of the time and have to live within the valley but not limited too bad with location. i would work either PT or FT to support myself and leave the home sale cash alone until i am done with school. i already have a decent PT gig so that could become FT and gives me free time for school. i got a few short term options with friends if i am between places after selling if nothing looks feasible to rent.

I'm confused. Why would you sell the house and start paying rent instead, but then sit on the money from the sale? Why not sit pat with the housing situation until you have a need for the money or need to move, and let your equity grow?

If you just have to move right now because you have to do something right now, I dig it - tiny home? If you have somewhere to park it, 50-60k would build you a nice little unit.

smartass_kid

I'm confused. Why would you sell the house and start paying rent instead, but then sit on the money from the sale? Why not sit pat with the housing situation until you have a need for the money or need to move, and let your equity grow?

If you just have to move right now because you have to do something right now, I dig it - tiny home? If you have somewhere to park it, 50-60k would build you a nice little unit.

I would be using the profit from selling the house to pay for full time school, remove my debt and either work FT or PT to support my self depending on school schedule. Realistically my housing cost of living is going to stay the same (rent, utilities) and my other expenses are what I have an issue with.
I am already working FT (40 hours, no option for overtime) and a PT gig on the weekend ( approx. 3 - 6 hour shifts). I can't afford going to school, financially or timewise, in my current situation. Hence, my equity in the house would work best for me now versus later. it would take care of my current debt, schooling cost when i enroll and allow me to not have to work accumulative 58-62 hours a week. I could work to take care of my housing cost, simplify my priorities and be put in a situation to have a better career (better field, newest training, life/work balance...)

i have thought about a tiny house and even have a potential place in sandy to park it but it comes with another set of issues i don't need. depreciation being the main one and I'm ok with not owning my own place for right now since i am working towards a goal.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
i do enjoy beers and liquors but feel like the brewery path is a highway; there are some young liquor places around the valley that i try to get into and use whatever degree i get to make myself valuable. accounting, business, marketing, manufacturing...etc

The only problem with this industry, is that you have to be talented/skilled in production, or have the money/wherewithal to open it up yourself and pay someone with the talent/skill. Otherwise you start at the bottom...cleaning kegs and running packaging lines for 12 buck per hour and hope to work your way up. If you get an accounting/biz/marketing degree, you'd make more money putting those skills to use in a less glamorous industry. Unfortunately, industries like beer/spirits, recreation, etc (hobby industries) know they can hire trust fund kids to work the same jobs for 25% less than they should accept or would otherwise be paid in other industries for the same work.

As for the house, it all depends on how big you have vs how big you need vs how much you can rent it for. I've long been an advocate for the long term financial benefits of renting, however in a market starved for decent rental inventory and with interest rates low, rents are actually exceeding mortgages (historically that isn't the case). In that market environment, buying is probably better for most people. Maybe flip your equity into a twin home/duplex or even just a smaller townhouse that has longterm rental potential. You could keep your cost of living low while you're in school, while still preserving your long term financial goals.

I think in this day and age, most "name" colleges or any of the for-profit schools are going to cost 40k+ just to get your degree, and that doesn't account for living expenses. I'm sure smaller schools like Snow or Dixie have remote programs you could do from SLC, but unless you're getting a skilled/technical degree (accounting, engineering, city planning/architecture etc), you're just going to be another number in the hundreds of resume's applying for good jobs with a less prestigious university name behind you (and the job placement resources of said university/college). I have two non skilled bachelor's degrees, Marketing and Organizational and Speech Communication, and trust me those are BRUTAL industries to find jobs in and maybe even more brutal to work your way up through.

Sooo...I help people make beer instead ;)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Just a second thought to toss out there.

While you are thinking about being a student, why not keep the house and rent the other bedrooms to other students?

You would be the owner resident so your son wouldn't be an issue and the roommates could cover the mortgage so all you would have to come up with is tuition and living expenses from your PT job. You won't be living in luxury but it can be done.

It is only two years so you can gain the equity on the house at the same time as having others pay for it.

Granted I am now considered an old man, but if you can cover where you live for free, you can work and go to school. ;) That's how I had to do it... (except we had 6 guys in a condo so rent was $150) :D