what do you WANT to be doing? (work/life question)

pELYgroso

'Merica
Have you been browsing KSL for jobs? If you are an experienced estimator, I'm assuming you're good with numbers and organization, as well as client relationships... Those skills could land you a job in a lot of different areas. You could do purchasing, job cost management, or any number of positions in different industries. If you're not sure what you want to do, why don't you start looking around to see if something interesting comes up in the next few months? Is your salary something that you can jump in to with the right company in a different industry possibly? Or is it higher based on time with the company that you're with which may mean taking a pay-cut to jump ship?

I recently hired an estimator (roofing) at $22 per hour to start. I'm currently looking for an ops manager for one of my other businesses at $15-20 depending on experience. I say this to give you an idea of jobs and salaries that may be out there. If you're making way more than that, maybe it would be harder to jump ship to a different industry. If you're close to $20, I feel like there could be plenty of options for you to try out different industries.

IMO, to jump into more schooling without a clue of what you want to do could end up just costing you a bunch of money for a degree that, in the end, doesn't benefit you much. I have SO MANY friends that went to school without knowing what they wanted to do and they now have jobs using zero of their degree or "knowledge" from that schooling. I'm not saying schooling is a bad thing, just that it CAN be useless if not approached in the right way.

How much is the 18k of debt costing you every month in payments? Depending on what kind of debt, I could see it being $1k+ per month in payments. I like the idea of renting out a couple rooms (just be VERY selective on people) and putting ALL of the rent money towards that debt, and whatever else you can scrounge. Maybe in 12 months you can have all of that debt paid off, rent out your house completely (likely for more than your mortgage) and go rent an apartment for that $1k that you used to pay in debt payments.

If you sell your house, get an apartment, pay for debt/some of the school with the equity, and get a part-ish time job to cover costs while going to school for a couple years, that could work....if what you're looking to do is start completely over. Lots of people have done just that. In my opinion, it's moving backwards when you don't necessarily need to be. With a year of hard work and focus resolving that debt thus freeing up those payments, and diligence to find a different job in a different industry, I feel like you could be years ahead of the "start-over" situation after 1-2 years. If you're willing to put in the work of school, why not put in the work to not have to go to school to make a change?

Full disclosure, I went to a year of college at Rick's (now BYU-I) to "play," then went on a 2 year mission, and a couple years after I got back started my first business and have been grinding away at many different businesses since then with enough success to make it worth it. I guess I'm not the most reliable source on college advice other than saying that you don't necessarily need it to make something of yourself. I give almost zero merit to college experience when hiring. Having said that, for certain industries or companies, it's a must.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Up front disclosure: I'm a big fan of owning a home. I feel it is an important part of any long-term retirement strategy, since (a) you've got to have a place to sleep each night and (b) it's much easier to afford a house you own outright than one where you're making mortgage payments. Since you've already got a home and have significant equity in it, I would be very reluctant to see you sell it and drop to renting unless it were absolutely necessary.

Now on to the current discussion.

IMO, to jump into more schooling without a clue of what you want to do could end up just costing you a bunch of money for a degree that, in the end, doesn't benefit you much. I have SO MANY friends that went to school without knowing what they wanted to do and they now have jobs using zero of their degree or "knowledge" from that schooling. I'm not saying schooling is a bad thing, just that it CAN be useless if not approached in the right way.

This is some pretty lucid advice, IMO. I don't want to sound anti-school either--because I'm definitely not--but when you said

the best investment is MYSELF

you've got to remember: spending thousands of dollars on a piece of paper that nets you no financial gain is hardly what you'd call an investment. If I were in your position, I'd want to be pretty certain that this strategy would pay off (literally and figuratively) in the long run before I sold my home and started down that path.

Another great point was brought up:

How much is the 18k of debt costing you every month in payments?

I'm coming to a point in my life where I fully accept this fact: debt is an absolute killer. Financially and emotionally, it crushes you. How would your life look were that debt completely eliminated? What "frivolous" expenses can you eliminate from your life to accelerate your debt paydown? Would that make it easier for you to switch careers and avoid selling the house/going to school?

Thanks to my bloodsucking ex, I ended up with significant debt after our divorce. Now I am trying to focus on knocking that out as quickly as possible. To that end, I've made a few financial lifestyle changes (eating many more meals at home, dumped my $130 DirecTV subscription, etc) to free up extra funds. Can you apply the same focus to your $18k debt?

If you sell your house, get an apartment, pay for debt/some of the school with the equity, and get a part-ish time job to cover costs while going to school for a couple years, that could work....if what you're looking to do is start completely over. In my opinion, it's moving backwards when you don't necessarily need to be. With a year of hard work and focus resolving that debt thus freeing up those payments, and diligence to find a different job in a different industry, I feel like you could be years ahead of the "start-over" situation after 1-2 years. If you're willing to put in the work of school, why not put in the work to not have to go to school to make a change?

^^ ALL of this.

Something you said confused me.

i know my house would net me 50-60k after i sold it so debt and college cost are easily taken care of.

i would work either PT or FT to support myself and leave the home sale cash alone until i am done with school.

Would you use your cash equity, or not?

ozzy702

I work in IT, for the most part I enjoy it. My job is low stress, very stable and I've been there long enough that I can do it in my sleep. It's also a ~ 5 minute commute which is nice. Honestly, my favorite part of my job is the freedom, autonomy and down time I have. If I knock all my work out in a few hours I often have the reset of my day to surf the net and hang out.

I personally feel like I need to learn more and expand my knowledge/skill/earning potential. I make more where I'm at than anywhere else with my current skill set so it's not like I can just find a job elsewhere, but I'm tapped out on pay and will just receive COLA adjustments moving forward. Work/life balance is pretty huge for me but it would be really nice to make 20-30k more than I do now which would put me in the 100-110k bracket.

Really, I need to finish at least my bachelors degree, and knock out some certs and figure out the direction I need to specialize in so I can make more money and/or increase my freedom.

Eventually I'd like to either be managing a small IT dept or small team and making great money, or working remotely or in a gig where I knock out work and go home so I'm working less than 40hrs a week but making the same money as I do now. I'm wired better for the business end of things than I am for being a sys admin (but I'm fine with being a sys admin) and I can't sit and stare at code for hours so dev is out. I also hate just sitting all day and love getting up and moving about, walking around and traveling to different locations which I do now.

Seth

These go to 11
I'd tell you to watch some tutorials for application development. If you have the interest, which I don't ( i have a parallel career), you will never want for work. The last two devs we hired took us over nine months to find.

Watch some tutorials on Udacity https://www.udacity.com/ or Kahn Academy https://www.khanacademy.org/, both of which are free and see if it holds your interest. If it does, you can go through a program like Numont https://www.neumont.edu/ in a year or less. Granted that program will only get you the basics and there will be a ton to learn afterward, but you would start in a junior position at ~$50k and be around $90k in 5ish years.

But it has to be interesting to you. If you are like me you will fall asleep during the course.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My job is boring and not in a field I’m even remotely interested in but pays me well enough and has the benefit of good hours, good PTO and 12 weeks of paternity leave. It keeps me coming back every Monday but I hope to eventually do something I enjoy.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? How old are the people you will be competing against at a collage or in the work force? I'm all for more education. I'm just not always all for more schooling. What will it get you? Do you have enough experience to counter a lack of education? I have a two year junk degree from a technical school. Completed it in about 10 months. That was 16 years ago. Now, I have kind of crossed over into another field, but still use all that experience and schooling. I'm merging my way into management and spend close to half my day doing that side of it, with a goal to be full management in the next two years (by the time I turn 40). That would be at least a bachelor's degree type position, but my experience is what will get me the job, not schooling.
As much as companies say they don't discriminate against age, your age will play a huge factor in the decision process. At least it would for me.

smartass_kid

i read all of the post over the weekend, just busy at PT work and don't like replying from my mobile lol

to clarify a few of the same inquiries: my house is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath. I wish I had a bigger place so i could rent out some of the rooms but when i was looking it fit my current life (wife and I, one kid, style of home, good area, etc..) there is a house down the block that just went up for rent and it is 3 bedroom 1 bath for $1450 monthly. if i could match that rent, i could have about $400 income from it. but i really don't want to rent out my house, just a headache i don't want.

my work experience is very limited to just rebar; creating new drawings for construction and i have been estimating for the last 3 years. I work for a small company with antiquated equipment, policies and standards. I could go to another company but think I am just burned out on the industry, which is why I am considering changing careers. Even with my CAD experience I am limited since there are a lot of fresh CAD students out there and it would be a BIG pay cut for me to try to use that only in a new path.
I will admit there is lots of potential (income, stability, valued for my experience) within this industry for me but like i said, just not sure i want to do it anymore.

i am not jumping into school blindly; i have taken basic aptitude test, have an appointment friday with SLCC and plan to have an in depth conversation about my skills, ideal salary after graduation and expectations. once i have a better idea of my strong points (granted, from their standpoint) I will a little more bearings from which to make my next move. i have no problems with brutal honesty and if they something that makes me re-consider college at all, it will be noted. I'm not planning to go back unless it is fully beneficial for me.

How much is the 18k of debt costing you every month in payments? Depending on what kind of debt, I could see it being $1k+ per month in payments.

With a year of hard work and focus resolving that debt thus freeing up those payments, and diligence to find a different job in a different industry, I feel like you could be years ahead of the "start-over" situation after 1-2 years. If you're willing to put in the work of school, why not put in the work to not have to go to school to make a change?

I'm coming to a point in my life where I fully accept this fact: debt is an absolute killer. Financially and emotionally, it crushes you. How would your life look were that debt completely eliminated? What "frivolous" expenses can you eliminate from your life to accelerate your debt paydown? Would that make it easier for you to switch careers and avoid selling the house/going to school?

Thanks to my bloodsucking ex, I ended up with significant debt after our divorce. Now I am trying to focus on knocking that out as quickly as possible. To that end, I've made a few financial lifestyle changes (eating many more meals at home, dumped my $130 DirecTV subscription, etc) to free up extra funds. Can you apply the same focus to your $18k debt?

these all have to do with my debt, which is really just my car payment and a single credit card. I do have some lifestyle expenses that I could get rid of and i guess i really need to look those over and eliminate what i can. A basic budget review is likely in order.

If you sell your house, get an apartment, pay for debt/some of the school with the equity, and get a part-ish time job to cover costs while going to school for a couple years, that could work....if what you're looking to do is start completely over. Lots of people have done just that. In my opinion, it's moving backwards when you don't necessarily need to be.

VERY good point

ricsrx

many moons ago i also found myself in almost the same spot, but i kept the house, i thought of all the freedom and free cash i would have by unloading it, a coworker said, you will have all that your asking right now but in the long run you will be going backwards if you dump it.
i kept it, rented it, then lived in it , rented it again when i grew out of it with the new family.
no regrets in keeping it, it was a financial burden at first but ended up some 15 years later being the money tree when i finally sold it