What happened to the cars?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Back in the day (80's specifically, but definitely 70's also) there were TV shows that featured cars or other vehicles prominently, or even ones that were specifically centered around the vehicle. Even more with less prominent cars, but still "signature" or recognizable things, well-known from the snow. A few examples I can think of off the top of my head:

Airwolf (helicopter)
Blue Thunder (helicopter)
The Dukes of Hazzard (General Lee, Daisy's CJ7, Jesse's Ford truck)
Starsky and Hutch (Ford Torino)
The Fall Guy (GMC Truck)
The A-Team (Van)
Knight Rider (K.I.T.T. / Firebird)

I watched some of these, and LOVED a couple of them. I'm sure there were more, what did I miss?

I can't really think of ANY in the last 20 years or so though. Why is that? Is it because the action sequences don't involve car chases and stuff anymore? There is more "story" overall, so no time for filler action? The movie "Cars" might be an exception to that, but I'm kinda throwing that out since it's not a TV show.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think in the early 2000’s fast and furious brought back a real surge in car fantasies.. at least it did for my high school.
Gone in 60 seconds did the same for the mustang.

But for more recent years, I wonder if the always streaming world we have become has resulted in a quantity over quality video content..

Also the ‘Man’ has become a he/she pronoun and prefers Starbucks over cars. Shows with drama and current culture are more relatable than tough men getting things done.

ID Bronco

But for more recent years, I wonder if the always streaming world we have become has resulted in a quantity over quality video content..

Also the ‘Man’ has become a he/she pronoun and prefers Starbucks over cars. Shows with drama and current culture are more relatable than tough men getting things done.
This - I don't watch much (nearly none) tv and haven't for years, but I suppose there are plenty of internet folks traveling in vans and living "diverse" lifestyles along the way.

The "pickers" type shows may be similar to this?

1969honda

Supporting Member
Magnum P.I. (Ferrari)
Nash Bridges (Barricuda)
James Bond (Aston Martin)

Those ones come to my mind along with the others mentioned. I think car manufactures probably play into it as well, seems like if you're running a movie or TV series they want their piece of pie to advertise or show off the newest model line up. I don't know what the different auto companies are paying or making but I'm sure it's not a small sum.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Magnum P.I. (Ferrari)
Nash Bridges (Barricuda)
James Bond (Aston Martin)

Those ones come to my mind along with the others mentioned. I think car manufactures probably play into it as well, seems like if you're running a movie or TV series they want their piece of pie to advertise or show off the newest model line up. I don't know what the different auto companies are paying or making but I'm sure it's not a small sum.
How did I forget Magnum P.I.? That was one of my favorites. :cool:

1969honda

Supporting Member
My old man was a police officer for 23 years and rocked a killer Tom Sellek mustache. Those three I listed are all fond memories of time with him and discussing the shows as well a the cars.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Don't forget the Coyote kitcar in that show with the fat judge.... and the 'Cuda on Nash Bridges
The 512 and Daytona on Miami.Vice...
...Firefox....

Etc. I think liking American power and things that represent it has fallen out of vogue over the years. It's a shame.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I belive major car manufacture's were behind funding for many of those movies. As times have changed, so have advertising priorities. It'd be great to have one of them sponsor a show, but I wonder if it will happen. The next one will likely be an EV.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Other than bad guys driving black BMW's and Mercedes, it's not all that prevalent anymore. I did notice that all the SHIELD cars in the Avengers movies were Acura's but not the same thing you're talking about by any stretch.

Thursty

Don't forget the Coyote kitcar in that show with the fat judge....
I believe that was Hardcastle and McCormick.

I loved all the cars they had on different shows. The Ferrari on Magnum along with the Jimmy that would show up once in a while. TC’s Island Hopper van and helicopter too. All the obvious cars from Dukes along with Daisy’s yellow Roadrunner, Boss’ Caddy and Roscoe’s cop car. Don’t forget the Powerwagon and IROC Z from Simon and Simon. I also liked the white Testarossa from Miami Vice.