What Has U4WDA done for State Lately?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
rebarguy said:
I think BLH deserves a big thank you for giving us this opprotunity to discuss what U4WDA is up to.

Agreed...

Brent (BLH), I've offered a dozen different times... come our to one of our BOD meetings and bury the hatchet that you have had with the U4WDA. Your itch with the U4 pre-dates me, and things are 180 degrees different then they have been in the past IMHO. You keep digging at stuff I can't possibly answer to as I (and MANY of the BOD members) wern't even involved with the Association at the time.

You even PM'ed me and offered to come out to a BOD and offer some "input" on what the Association needs. We meet the same time, place every month:
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=23035
Its also advertised in our Compass Magazine.

To be honest with you Brent, we don't really need any more input... we have soooooo much of that with 20+ people at some of our BOD meetings. We need manpower and follow through. I'm not saying we don't want to hear ideas, opinions, etc... but I take them with a grain of salt from people that won't offer to help resolve the situation or work the project. We get soooo many ideas bounced off of us its amazing, some new, most have come up once (or dozens) of times... but it always comes down to the manpower to complete them.

Your right, we don't do nearly what we would like to accomplish as a state Associations, but we are improving that on a daily basis. Frankly we will never do enough IMHO until we have 10,000 active statewide members, a paid full-time membership/secretary person to manage the day-to-day stuff, and the rest of us can focus on all the projects we want to complete. Thats not going to happen with people that want nothing more than to call us out, they don't even care to spend $10 to join... I was 100% behind the lowering of the membership dues, I wanted everyone to have a chance to join... I dare say everyone in this sport can spare at least $10 a year. Its working too...

We are at an all-time high for members (and growing :D), we have one of the biggest Land-Use projects in the history of the state coming up (our NPLD campaign). We have more freindly contacts with the FS/BLM than ever and we are improving on that daily. Our Compass Magazine is amazing, our club database is up to date and current. Our membership process is streamlined and up to date... Now we just need help with all the other projects on our list. We are finally getting all the "house keeping" issues taken care of, now its time to tackle the state :cool: Come help...

XJEEPER

Well put Kurt.
My daughter has an annoying toy doll that says the same line everytime you pull the string in her back......she named her Chelsea, but I call her Brent.

ZUKEYPR

scoutabout said:
Well, here's what we're working on right now:

Working with the BLM on the new travel plan for 5 Mile Pass. Right now, Rattlesnake and Constrictor are set to be closed, so hopefully we can change that.

Working with the PG district of the Uinta Forest on planning 3 service projects in AF Canyon this summer (see Meat's pic in the previous post).

We've raised money every year (record breaking amounts this year!) to help USA-ALL, BRC, and UFWDA continue their mission of representing us OHV users.

We're helping two new clubs get incorporated and organized right now.

We organized a group to counter the SUWA hearing held tonight.

We're involved in one really cool project, that can't be talked about. But it's really cool, and it'll be awesome if we can make it happen!! Think about re-opening a cool trail.

With a few more volunteers, we could always do more! We'd welcome your help anytime BLH! We'd welcome anyone's help (and donations!!).

Not to threadjack from BLH, although somebody needs to, what's the bases for the purposed closer of Rattlesnake & Constrictor? This is the first I've heard about it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ZUKEYPR said:
Not to threadjack from BLH, although somebody needs to, what's the bases for the purposed closer of Rattlesnake & Constrictor? This is the first I've heard about it.

There is a little info buried in some threads here on RME... I can't remember where, but here is a snynopsis...

The BLM is currently working on the new travel plan for the 5MPRA, including the areas surrounding RS/CON. They are still in the beginning of the planning stages, so we really don't have alot of input to give until we know what they are planning and when they are ready to hear us.

But, most of the trail data they collected is 5+ years old, and even then they did not include trails that were not to their definition of trail (could have been by accident, could have been because they didn't think they were drivable, etc). As best we can tell by the old data they supplied us, RS is on the map, Constrictor is partially on the map, but the map given to us is very un-detailed.

I can't say for certain what lies in store for the area, but I think that all of the areas will go to a designated routes only and open areas eliminated. They will likely close many "weave" trails, eliminating redundant (in their opinion) trails. Just because they know RS & CON are there, doesn't mean they will leave them open, in fact they have them marked otherwise....

The U4WDA has been in continuous contact with the BLM regarding all this. They have been receptive but there really isn't much they can do to hear our side until they develop a plan. Charlies Trail, and other trails in the area face the same danger of permanent closure.

Last edited:
ZUKEYPR said:

The SL BLM office is in the process of developing a new travel plan for their entire area (which covers a huge chunk of northwest Utah). Every thing in 5 Mile Pass is being redesignated from "open travel" to designated routes only. Rattlesnake/Constrictor are on the inventory of trails, but currently marked for closure. As the process continues, we hope to change that by showing the recreational value of the trails, and proving that the 4x4 community will be there to help maintain the trails and resources in the area.

So, here's what everyone can do:

Stay cool. We're working on it. If/when the time comes to contact the BLM and your elected reps we'll let you know.

Join U4WDA if you haven't already.

Donate to U4WDA or buy tickets for the Jeep we're giving away next month. We have practically nothing compared to the anti-access groups that will want the trails to be closed. We need every dollar we get, and we're all 100% volunteer so all the money goes to helping keep trails open.

Participate in the RME event for National Public Lands Day on 9/30 out at 5 Mile Pass.

Last edited:

BLH

Good to here! But fact is them are project that is a given. Only people know about that is people in your circle. I knew what this post was going to cause! <GRIN>
I'm figured since I'm Quote, "I'm a Negative person, need to get involve instead" from people that Actually knew I been involved and also that I've never seen at all the projects I been part of. Then I get question from people who I been trying and have got involve, that are on this list or were. :-( They ask we this exact question. Some also are from Calif. and Col. and wonder why U4WDA is doing or involved like there State Association. I good term to end this in is, Business term. Might be time to think outside the Box! Think about that for minute! I'm sure alot of you, if you even read this will attack me as usually. That's ok! <GRIN> But maybe someday someone will at least think about, how it would help to do even a simple thing like food drive some time other than Thanksgiving, or other on related service instead of 4x4 related. That is what will help get more people involve and aware of the issues. Don't believe me, go ask people. So to start another flaming. Lighten up alot of you! Quit being like the people we are against. I've heard best way to fight enemy, is with kindness. Sometimes you get better results that way. Ourside don't have funds, so we need to be more creative, just like I can't punish my kids like my parents did, so had to be creative.
Last!
Thanks to all you that are doing right thing for right reason and not be holy than thou! or like that other side. I would name some names, but I stick to it is all our fight. Yes, I'm still in directly involved in stuff. I'm not going away.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Brent, our projects are announced everywhere. Our upcoming Forest Lake fence build and National Public Lands day event is on just about Utah club website we have access to. In addition every club has been emailed. If the communication doesn't make it from the club officer to the members, than there isn't much we can do.

You have cited our lack of communication in the past, and I personally think it is 10x better today than it was in the past. We try and get all of our project/run info into the Compass Magazine, and the BB's.

What more can we do to spread the word? If people won't join, we can't send them stuff, if they won't read the announcements on Forums, or our emailing list, I can't force it down their throats... Honestly Brent, what can we do to spread the word?

Take note we are ALL volunteers. You can point as many fingers as you want and pat yourself on the back all day long about how much you do, but in the end we are all volunteers, we don't get anything for doing this and we all would rather be out on the trail instead of e-arguing moot points (such as us announcing things). I could take more time to announce our projects, but Brent, I don't have time... We do our best and the rest is the rest.

To end, our gig is obviously working. We have contacts with just about every land manager (BLM, USFS, etc.) in the state with current info in their district. All thanks to many members in the areas and our new landuse officers. We are at an all-time high of membership, with growing turnout at events. So as much as you like to downplay our activity, we are growing FAST and making BIG moves.

Enough time spent.

And lastly Brent, I'm not an english major, and I don't usually even go out of my way to point out communication issues.... but Brent I had to re-read your paragraph 5 times before it was clear what you were trying to pass along. For hells sake spend a few minutes proof reading that **** before you post it. My head now hurts...

And remember Brent like my gramps used to say "it's best to clean up your own backyard before you look over the fence". ;)

OK my grandpa never said that, but he would have if he had to listen to you often... :D

We have a hard time getting people out to any type of volunteer service event, so we're always looking for new ways to get people involved. I'm glad to hear you've been involved in helping in the past. Please consider this a formal invitation to get involved again. Our board meetings are the last Thursday of every month at 6:30PM at LHM Jeep in Sandy. If you can't attend, PM me and we can talk about a task that would suit your talents and the needs of the 4x4 community. We have plenty of projects, we have plenty of ideas, and we have plenty of areas where we need improvement. What we have a lack of is people who will show up and help out.

If all you do is complain about us online, then you've just validated all the crappy things that have been posted towards you. Make them eat their words (or posts in this case), and give us a hand.

BLH, it just occurred to me that we have a board position titled "PR & Communications Director". Currently it is unfilled. We'd welcome your help in handling this important duty.

Cory

scoutabout said:
BLH, it just occurred to me that we have a board position titled "PR & Communications Director".
:rofl: :ugh:

You are joking right? :confused: Or does the position does not require written communication skills? I still have no idea what BLH was trying to say in that last post.

allterrain

AllTerrain
I can see that many of you are not familiar with "Brentbonics".

I'm sure Brent also loves to hold up a hornets nest and whack it with a stick.

Hey Brent, I'll save you a nice tent site next to mine in AF Canyon Friday night... :)

Alan

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I had a hunch, but now I've put two and two together. Aint that term a blast from the past? :rofl:

You back in the saddle again?

allterrain said:
I can see that many of you are not familiar with "Brentbonics".

Alan