What is overlanding? An expedition versus car-camping?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This seems to come up quite regularly in the 4x4 community, it seems that car-camping and trail rigs have instantly become defacto "expedition" rigs and gear junkies and rock-crawler burnouts have decided that labeling their style as 'expedition' means they can continually 'test' all the latest and greatest gear in prep for their big summer vacation and they don't have to worry about scratching their sliders or skids anymore as being 'expedition' means you just car-camp instead of rock-crawl right? Clear as mud :D

Scott Brady did a fantastic op-ed about overlanding, back-country adventures, etc that I think would be a great read for anyone pondering:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/resources/what-is-overlanding/definition.html

I pretty much think Scott is spot on, particularly this one: ExPo: An abbreviation of the website Expedition Portal.. It seems that ExPo is synonymous with some as anything that isn't rock-crawling. I.e. a day trip to a lake might get called an "expo run", which is a bit pretentious in my opinion but at least it serves as a litmus test for those reading the thread titles :D

You thoughts?

DAA

Haven't read the link yet, but it's real simple. Overlanding and Expeditions are what you do. Car camping is what I do. I've never been on an expedition, maybe someday. Overlanding? Ehhh... Too esoteric to warrant consideration or comment. Maybe I overland, maybe I don't, the fact that I actually don't know, tells me I really need not care :D.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Haven't read the link yet, but it's real simple. Overlanding and Expeditions are what you do. Car camping is what I do. I've never been on an expedition, maybe someday. Overlanding? Ehhh... Too esoteric to warrant consideration or comment. Maybe I overland, maybe I don't, the fact that I actually don't know, tells me I really need not care :D.

- DAA

:D

You are out seeing, doing, and breathing it... all a name does for you is lengthen the thread title :D

For some the name is what it is all about, not the seeing, doing, breathing it... I get a call a wheel from a customer doing an "expedition build"... browse the forums and you'll find hundreds more. I ask them where they plan to go and many want to build the truck fist and think that will motivate them to plan the trip they never had time to plan before. It is like the RTT, Fridge, etc... buying won't make you get out more, it will just make your existing plans a bit more convenient. Building an "expedition" rig (i.e. a trail rig or car-camper) isn't going to allow you more time on the trails... just less money and a farkled rig. We did SLC to Reno on the Pony Express Trail, a bunch of built rigs and a bone stock Rav4. Now he may have came home with a few more dings, dents and scratches not to mention 3 new tires in Reno but they did the same trail we did and didn't need to 'expedition build' their Rav4. Spades are spades.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Here I am thinking I have done some good expedition trips, but really I am just a back country adventurer..

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Kurt, you and I have discussed this ad nauseum and I agree with Scott 99%. My main thing is call it what you want it, just get out. Thats all. Call it an "ExPo Run" for a half day trip up to the Bountiful B. Yeah, its not "correct" but as long as you are getting out there and using your rig and driving the trails it's really semantics.

Since we're on the topic, I had a revelation a little while ago. I really don't care that much about the destination. It can be a beautiful canyon, a remote mine, ghost town or journey of exploration. I just want to drive. The road is what draws me. Dirt track or technical trail, I just want to be behind the wheel.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt, you and I have discussed this ad nauseum and I agree with Scott 99%. My main thing is call it what you want it, just get out. Thats all. Call it an "ExPo Run" for a half day trip up to the Bountiful B. Yeah, its not "correct" but as long as you are getting out there and using your rig and driving the trails it's really semantics...

Agree on the getting out but call an apple an apple and an orange and orange. I hobby gold pan, doesn't mean I can be pretentious and tell people I'm a miner and a miner ought to have the right to push me down a deep shaft for pretending :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Since we're on the topic, I had a revelation a little while ago. I really don't care that much about the destination. It can be a beautiful canyon, a remote mine, ghost town or journey of exploration. I just want to drive. The road is what draws me. Dirt track or technical trail, I just want to be behind the wheel.

I'm with you... that said I've gone out of my way the last couple of years to not drive and sit back and enjoy thing from the passenger seat. I spend ~60-70% of the time behind the wheel when I'm on the E7 trips and while some of that driving is absolutely epic, some of my fondest memories are sitting in the passenger seat with my head out the window no worrying about the road :D

ZUKEYPR

When I think Expedition- I think names such as Jacque Cousteau, Lewis and Clark, Will Steger, Marlin Perkins, the original Wagon Masters coming across America. In other words those who gone where nobody or very few have gone before. Other than that all other terms are flatout semantics, irreleveant and pointless.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
On the real "expeditions" I've been on it's been 75% collecting data, photographing, etc. and 25% actual driving. I do feel fortunate that I've had the chance to contribute scientifically while out in new-to-me territory, I much prefer the "backcountry travel" aspect, where I don't need to worry about stopping every mile to collect data, or making it to a location to collect or map or sit for hours and listen for birds, etc. I like being able to explore without the responsibility that can come from a true expedition.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Who cares? Let people call it what they want if it makes them feel good about it. If they want to make goofy names for their vehicles, brag about the car they drive not being something else, or use a trendy name for the type of outdoor recreation they claim to identify with, cool. Don't take it as a personal affront or make it a quest to ensure people know that what they are doing and saying doesn't align with what you think it is. ;)

I like to go wheeling, camping, and to drink beer and talk shit to people. In no particular order. If I did that around the globe for a year whilst providing clean water to a million people, it would still be wheeling, camping, beer drinking, shit talking...and water cleaning. My vehicle still wouldn't have a name, I still wouldn't care what brand your vehicle is, and I still wouldn't call my passenger anything other than the first expletive that rolls off of my tongue.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Who cares? Let people call it what they want if it makes them feel good about it. If they want to make goofy names for their vehicles, brag about the car they drive not being something else, or use a trendy name for the type of outdoor recreation they claim to identify with, cool. Don't take it as a personal affront or make it a quest to ensure people know that what they are doing and saying doesn't align with what you think it is. ;)

Cool, I'm a beer brewer because I open beers out of my fridge ;) Gonna start a forum for it lol. I gotta laugh though Cody, your generally the first to call out people for pretending to be something they are not (i.e. baseball players = athletes) but your taking the Pope stance on this one. Times sure have changed... A man is entitled to have a friendly discussion about a pet peeve no? I'll be the pot, you be the kettle.

I like to go wheeling, camping, and to drink beer and talk shit to people. In no particular order. If I did that around the globe for a year whilst providing clean water to a million people, it would still be wheeling, camping, beer drinking, shit talking...and water cleaning. My vehicle still wouldn't have a name, I still wouldn't care what brand your vehicle is, and I still wouldn't call my passenger anything other than the first expletive that rolls off of my tongue.

You've made it quite clear yourannoyed by the actions of some? Why surround yourself with them then? Drama lama?

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Since it has just been determined that I'm definitely not expo, is it OK to put zombie apocalypse stickers on my truck now ? :D

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Keeping peace on the home front.
Traded the JKU on an F150 and a travel trailer since my wife absolutely hates to wheel but wants to get out with me and "camp".
Don't be too disgusted with me. My youngest daughter is 15 and wants a small truck, so I'm on the lookout for lightly modded mini truck for me her.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Cody, you're an asshole. But I agree with you here. I think that the universe may be imploding...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Keeping peace on the home front.
Traded the JKU on an F150 and a travel trailer since my wife absolutely hates to wheel but wants to get out with me and "camp".
Don't be too disgusted with me. My youngest daughter is 15 and wants a small truck, so I'm on the lookout for lightly modded mini truck for me her.

Right on... remembered you were on the hunt for a mini truck. Sounds like the truck is working out for you.

...But I agree with you here...

More proof I'm right. You can't even turn off the choke, not a chance in hell you'd make it in the real world. Stay close to home and expedition from your bedroom!

Last edited: