what makes a 1 ton Rig?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I see the seller is "in no way needing to sale this prime piece of automobile" so please, everybody, don't go making him any lowball offers.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Well, it weighs more than a ton, so there you have it....

Well, I guess that makes sense... Does that make my 5000# scrambler a 2 1/2 ton? :D

Looks like a nice rig, but I didn't know a dana 44 was a 1 ton axle???

Looks a like a great rig, he has spent some money on it, and I don't mean to dig on the ad, but it is just an example of what I am asking.

I always considered Dana 60's and up as a 1 ton axle and hence a one ton rig, but I would consider some of these trussed, 35 spline, full float, Ford 9" in that boat...

But this is just a discussion. :D

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Well, I guess that makes sense... Does that make my 5000# scrambler a 2 1/2 ton? :D

I guess you can call it what ever you want! :) My JK fits that description too, but I am still on stock axles.

Looks a like a great rig, he has spent some money on it, and I don't mean to dig on the ad, but it is just an example of what I am asking.

I always considered Dana 60's and up as a 1 ton axle and hence a one ton rig, but I would consider some of these trussed, 35 spline, full float, Ford 9" in that boat...

But this is just a discussion. :D

I wasn't digging at you either, just surprised a Dana 44 came out of an 85 1 ton rig per the ad. That surprises me.

Based on the wording in the ad, I am leaning toward this guy not being the one that built the rig. "It has an 8'' Short long skyjacker kit under it." I am not sure what a short long kit is.

I hope he can sale (it should be sell) this. Looks like a fun rig, but priced a bit high imho. I hope he gets what he wants.

LT.

1 ton has multiple meanings i guess. For an off road rig having 1 ton drive train (axles) most folks call it a 1 ton. When it comes to tow rigs the just simply having 1 ton axles no longer cuts it. Suspension is the deciding factor among other things.

LT.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Ford hasn't used a solid front Dana 44 since 1979, and it was only used in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks at that. Also noteworthy, all 1980-1985 Ford trucks (F-150 thru F-350) were TTB. His front axle is clearly not from where the ad says it is.

That SkyJacker "Rock Ready" kit is sometimes referred to as a mid-arm kit... Just because the arms are longer than stock, but not by much. Maybe that is what Short long means?:rofl:

It's a nice looking Jeep, but the ad certainly isn't very accurate.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
1 ton has multiple meanings i guess. For an off road rig having 1 ton drive train (axles) most folks call it a 1 ton. When it comes to tow rigs the just simply having 1 ton axles no longer cuts it. Suspension is the deciding factor among other things.

LT.

Agree.... suspension, frame, engine/transmission/t-case, etc... on top of proper 1 ton axles. My GMC has a Dana 60 and 14 Bolt, but I'm not going to call it a 1 Ton. Still has a 1/2 ton frame, transmission & t-case and soft 1/2 ton suspension.

No matter what, a Dana 44 does not make a 1 ton axle... even with 8 lug.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So just curious about the general consensus...

What makes a 1 ton Rig?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28741301&cat=402&lpid=&search=&ad_cid=4

in my mind, I don't think 3/4ton axles make a 1 ton rig.

Please discuss. :D

I wondered that too when I saw this add. The skyjacker kit has a major drop bracket that drops the lower control arms down. It does look like a nice rig but I would change things on the suspension first. The add says nothing about unibody "frame" stiffeners. If it doesn't have those the "1 ton" axles will pull that cherokee apart.