What mileage is too high for a diesel?

rrefx

Well, the time has come. Buisness is doing too well, and it's time to trade the rover in for a truck. I have some pretty big trailers, and am looking for a diesel dually. The only problem is the ones I've found in my price range have 150,000 + miles on them. If I can sell the rover soon, I can get something a little better miliage wise (they won't give me much on trade in, so trying to sell it myself).

What I want to know is, I know diesels are suppose to last a long time, but I travel a lot, and will be putting 20 - 30,000 miles on a year myself. I want the thing to still be running when I pay it off, I'm trying to find a way to get one with around 70,000 miles on it or so, but still need to figure out how.

How many miles are newer (2000-2003ish) diesels good for? Pretty much all the ones out there are Fords, and I'm fine with owning one, but just don't want to pay 20 + thousand for one thats not gonna last me.

Thanks,
Ryan

Meat_

Banned
A Cummins is broke in at 100k, so 150 is nothing for it. A Power Stroke is still alright, but V8's don't run as many miles.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I have 162k on my cummins and it's still going strong. I think it's a 300k+ motor pretty easily. The PSD have more moving parts and are generally assumed to not last as long as the CTD's, but I don't know if real world data supports that supposition.

Cody

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
At my old job they used Dodge CTD for state wide delivery trucks, They wouldn't even sell them until they hit 800k, and thats a hard 800k, 3-6,000 lb payload every night. My first CTD had almost 400 k on it when I sold it.

If your looking for longevity go dodge, think about it do semi trucks have V8's???

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
While I agree that the motors might run a long time I would be worried about buying anything over 100k, there are TONS of other parts that are not designed to last that long, waterpumps, alternators, power steering pumps, steering boxs, ball joints, transmissions, axle ring and pinions, bearings, all the electrical sensors on the truck! I just think that if you wait a while you can find a truck in your price range with lower mileage.

Caleb

when I traded my PSD in it had 278K (or so) and ran like a top...started right up even on the coldest winter mornings and I never had to do anything to it other than a CPS. I wouldn't even flinch at 150K (especially on a Cummins). The general consensus is that the Cummins last longer BUT like Milner pointed out, there a tons of guys with 300K+ on their Power Strokes. Also, IMO, the Ford bodies last longer than the Dodges (but that is debateable :D )

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I bought my old Dodge with 192k and sold it with almost 225k. It needed some ball joints & trackbar work, but nearly everything else was performing like new. I would have no problem with buying one with 150k+ again.

rrefx

Thanks for all the replies. I've heard the same thing about cummings, It's just hard to find one for sale that's a dually, and in my price range. It seems when people buy them new, they hang on to them. That's gotta say something. Still looking around though. If any of you know of a good one for sale, let me know. I'm looking for a Crew Cab Dually Diesel, preffereably under 100K miles, and under $25,000.

Thanks,
Ryan

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Let me preface this by saying I work with Ford's PSD day in and day out as a service engineer here in Dearborn, Mi. If you're buying a PSD with more than 150,000 miles make sure it's a 7.3L. Also, if you have basic operating knowledge of the PSD (back to the 6.9L) you know it's a HEUI injected motor. HEUI injectors are very sensitive to maintenance. So for a high mileage truck, and I can't stress this enough, make sure the owner has record of all oil changes and filter changes (this especially applies if you're considering a 6.0L).

I'd be more than happy to answer any Q's. B

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
rrefx said:
It's just hard to find one for sale that's a dually, and in my price range. under $25,000.

Thanks,
Ryan
Jump on ebay, the guy's down in Texas sell them all the time for a good price. I was going to drive down there to get one but scored a good deal here.

rrefx

BBowski82 said:
Let me preface this by saying I work with Ford's PSD day in and day out as a service engineer here in Dearborn, Mi. If you're buying a PSD with more than 150,000 miles make sure it's a 7.3L. Also, if you have basic operating knowledge of the PSD (back to the 6.9L) you know it's a HEUI injected motor. HEUI injectors are very sensitive to maintenance. So for a high mileage truck, and I can't stress this enough, make sure the owner has record of all oil changes and filter changes (this especially applies if you're considering a 6.0L).

I'd be more than happy to answer any Q's. B

Thank You. I allready own a 6.9. It's an 86 crew cab dually that has 350,000 and besides a little fuel pump trouble once, it just won't die. My problem though is my trailers are large and heavy, and the 6.9 can pull anything, just not fast. Trying to find something newer, something with a turbo, and something I know will last as well.

I've had my eye out for a newer 6.0 as an option, but so far all the 2003's and newer are still way out of my price range.

Thanks,
RYan

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
rrefx said:
...I've heard the same thing about cummings, It's just hard to find one for sale that's a dually...
Try finding a dually/auto that is in really good shape ;) Took me about 4 months of hard looking 3 years ago, but I found one :D

SnwMnkys

I bought my early 99 PSD in April with 149k miles on it, its now got 169k and we havent had a thing wrong with it other then oil changes are pricey since the thing takes 15 quarts. I love my truck. I like the Dodges too but i think there front end setup is a joke.

Ive heard bad things about Texas trucks because its generally ranchers or farmers that have owned them so theyve hauled heavy loads there entire life. That may be something to look for. See if its had a goose neck or 5th wheel attatched to it.

4thefamily

1995 Psd

I have a 95 PSD, that has 336000 and it runs great. It pulls like a dream and looks very good for that many miles. It starts right up in the cold runs a little rough at first in the cold but when it is warmed up, it runs great. I tried out a 04 PSD and I was not at all impressed. I would put my truck up against that thing anyday. I have replaced all injectors now, turbo gone through, new batteries, alternator, starter and just yesterday new tires. I plan on this thing being my run around town truck for quite some time. Besides with diesel at 2.65 why not drive the hell out of it. Oh oops I mean diesel at 3.15. Sorry my mistake.

rrefx

Well, I use premium in the rover, which is over $3/gal too, and it only gets 11-12 mpg, some of the diesels I've test drove have claimed to get around 20, so no loss there. What kind of actual miliage have you guys been getting? I know what the dealerships have been saying, but some real use input would be cool too.

Ryan

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My 2000 F-350 PSD gets 17-18 in mixed driving, 13-14 towing. (about 5000 lb trailer, 70-75 MPH) If I'm unloaded driving slowly on the freeway, I can get 20. If I'm driving fast, I'll get 16-17. Pushing hard towing gets me 12.

BTW, I'm pushing 180K on the odometer, runs great. I've replaced a water pump, alternator, and a glow plug relay since I bought it at 150K.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My '99 Dodge averaged around 19-20 MPG if I drove nice, towed at about 15 MPG. That was with a 5 speed, autos get slightly less mileage.