What t-cases are you guys running?

spiderman

Amish dude
What t-cases are everybody running? What mods to them? What tranny? I am thinking more along the lines of conversion t-cases,( you swapped a different one in) but tell me what you have nonetheless. Also, what do you think of your current setup? Thanks for any input guys.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Atlas 3.8 with the 32 spline front output, custom drilled to clock flat. What do I think of it? It's the best t-case currently available on the market, hands down.

troutbum

cubi-kill
what makes the atlas the best? Not saying it isn't but you can get the same thing, essentially, in a D300 for cheaper.

Caleb

troutbum said:
what makes the atlas the best? Not saying it isn't but you can get the same thing, essentially, in a D300 for cheaper.

not necesarily...if you want a drivers drop you have to get a clocking kit, plus adapters, plus new 4:1 gear set and you start getting pretty close to the cost of an atlas...plus with the atlas you have many different options for input and outputs...

troutbum

cubi-kill
supergper said:
not necesarily...if you want a drivers drop you have to get a clocking kit, plus adapters, plus new 4:1 gear set and you start getting pretty close to the cost of an atlas...plus with the atlas you have many different options for input and outputs...

The atlas may be more versatile (change inputs, more applications), but in a given application why would it be better (hands down) than say a 32 spline d300.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
troutbum said:
The atlas may be more versatile (change inputs, more applications), but in a given application why would it be better (hands down) than say a 32 spline d300.

I think the internals are a lot larger in an atlas too. I can't confirm this though.

Other differences include cast iron casing (D300) and strong aluminum casing (atlas) which I imagine could cause some weight differences... But I'm not sure that matters for most applications anyways.

Atlas is readily available in both driver and passenger outputs.

That's about all I can think of. I would rather sink money into a solid atlas than piece together a D300 personally.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The Atlas is more durable than a 300. Not too long ago on a trail who's name cannot be mentioned a certain Dana 300 equipped CJ ended up in front high and rear low (again). Not a pretty sight. By the time you buy a dana 300 (In questionable condition because it's 20-30 years old), pssibly rebuild it, flip it, clock it, upgrade both output shafts (the front is still not readily available), regear it, and twin stick it, you could have bought a brand new Atlas built exactly how you want it. Oh, and your 300 is still not as strong! The Atlas is the king of transfer cases.