What to build?

spiderman

Amish dude
Well, the only rigs I've built are Sammi's. Did a little XJ stuff, but not a huge fan of that platform.

The wife says she wants a good family vacation wheeler/crawler. I'm happy to oblige, but I'm really out of my element now.

So I need some suggestions. I need a vehicle that can fit five, plus have a little extra room for gear. I'm going to be building it for some mild to semi-wild crawling, 35-37" tires. And it needs to be decent on the street. I'll be driving it to where I'm going, no towing.

Some trucks that come to mind are wagoneers, FJ-60 Cruiser, FJ-80 Cruiser, and 4Runner.

My wife really hates the wagoneers, so that's last on the list. Anybody have some ideas on what would match what I need? I really like the 60 cruiser.

ALF

SURE!?
K5 Blazer:D

Easily fit 5-6 people and loads of gear.

Cheap to buy and build.

And can even haul a trailer where you're going:greg:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I went Centurion Bronco, little hefty at 6k, and 140" wb, but... seats 5/6 in extreme comfort, not any longer than a Suburban.. (and shorter overall than our 1973 F250, still not sure how that works) and with the rear seat out, has same amount of cargo room as a Bronco/K5 in 2 seater mode, can find them from SAS'd and TTB'd 150 (half ton) all the way up to PSD one tons.

A one ton will rock 35's, no lift, most had an LSD rear.....

Buddy of mine here has a C350 AT/PSD, and with 39.5 Irocs on it, he still pulled 15-17 on the road.

GO to www.fourdoorbronco.com, and look up the for sale section.... Real nice IDI with a turbo, gauges, etc for sale in KS, for $4500 or so. ANd the top comes off still....:greg:

Edit, thought I would clarify the above....
Seats 7-9 in excellent comfort, posh, especially the later ones ( there is a 95 or 96 PSD in Jersey right now for 5k... its PIMP!!!) if.. you pull the rear seat, then you seat 4-6, depending on captains/captains; captains/bench; bench/bench and you have almost the room of a shorty box pixkup, or a K5/Bronc/Ramcharger in 2 seat mode.

Mine:
DSCN0747.JPG

DSCN0770.JPG

Last edited:

ALF

SURE!?
I went Centurion Bronco, little hefty at 6k, and 140" wb, but... seats 5/6 in extreme comfort, not any longer than a Suburban.. (and shorter overall than our 1973 F250, still not sure how that works) and with the rear seat out, has same amount of cargo room as a Bronco/K5 in 2 seater mode, can find them from SAS'd and TTB'd 150 (half ton) all the way up to PSD one tons.

A one ton will rock 35's, no lift, most had an LSD rear.....

Buddy of mine here has a C350 AT/PSD, and with 39.5 Irocs on it, he still pulled 15-17 on the road.

GO to www.fourdoorbronco.com, and look up the for sale section.... Real nice IDI with a turbo, gauges, etc for sale in KS, for $4500 or so. ANd the top comes off still....:greg:

Edit, thought I would clarify the above....
Seats 7-9 in excellent comfort, posh, especially the later ones ( there is a 95 or 96 PSD in Jersey right now for 5k... its PIMP!!!) if.. you pull the rear seat, then you seat 4-6, depending on captains/captains; captains/bench; bench/bench and you have almost the room of a shorty box pixkup, or a K5/Bronc/Ramcharger in 2 seat mode.

Mine:
DSCN0747.JPG

DSCN0770.JPG

sure but can it do this???

spiderman

Amish dude
Thanks for the replies so far...

I didn't even think of the K-5! Not a fan of the bronco's, though that extended one is sweet! But I may be able to sell the wife on a K-5. She may think it's too big. But then at least no engine swap needed, and 1-tons would be a really easy swap.

Oh, and there is one more requirement: It needs A/C. Again, not a problem with most K-5's.

Last edited:

ALF

SURE!?
Thanks for the replies so far...

I didn't even think of the K-5! Not a fan of the bronco's, though that extended one is sweet! But I may be able to sell the wife on a K-5. She may think it's too big. But then at least no engine swap needed, and 1-tons would be a really easy swap.

Oh, and there is one more requirement: It needs A/C. Again, not a problem with most K-5's.

Right on the nose here, chevy made all the good stuff from the factory, and is easily adaptable...

Bronco is a 4 letter F word!!:D

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Cool.. lemme figure out final drivetrain, mine got gudge fawked by a prior owner... and then its awwwwwn!
(44 front with 3.54 gears, Sterling arse with 4.10 gears.. no idear what happened to "its" 60.... oh, and the E40D is taking a powder)

Headed towards Rocks, and 46-52's, or 60/60 with 39's... hard to tell yet.

Hijack over.. I love an FJ80.... I just had issues with dismal mpg,(for its size/and its a 6 cyl for hell's sake) and crampyish for 7 + a dog, so I went the direction I went.

cheepin

I was going to say fullsize Blazer.But was beat to it.I will suggest the Sububan.I wheeled a '77 for about 6 years.Put a 4" lift on it and 33 swampers and ran just about anytrail I wanted.Of course it is big and doesn't fit on the really tight trails.
But I drove it to and from Moab and every other trail we did.Even slept in the back.In fact I currently have a stock '87 3/4ton that I use for DD and towing and camping.Last camping trip my boys(14 and 17) and I took to Moab.We set up tent in Kane creek and the wind got stupid.So we slept in it.17 yr old the dog I in back with the seats folded down.The other in the front seat.I would go with a 87 to 91 for old body style or 92 and newer if you don't mind IFS.87 and up are FI.

Last edited:

wagonmaster

ONE TON 'O WAGON
I say Wagons can't be left out only thing is you have to put fi on and everyhting and then you can save that headache with the K5 if you get a newer one. I know where there is a 90 ready to be built right now for cheap.

jsudar

I have a K5 and I love it. Just get an 87 or newer so you have TBI and you are set. The wife thinks it's cool since it has AC and power everything. The kids really dig the fact that the top comes off.

spiderman

Amish dude
That's what I've been looking at. Very affordable, even with tons front and rear. So when we get some extra cash in a month or two, likes like we'll probably be getting one.

Thanks for the help!