What to do when a person breaks?

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
On Labor Day, a group of Red Rock 4 Wheelers were out on the Metal Masher trail when the worst thing happens, someone gets hurt.

In this instance, it was a crushed hand injury, caught between a rock and a roll cage.

When a Jeep breaks, you have plenty of time and options. But, when a person breaks, what do you do?

Remember to stay calm and never move someone unless his/her life is in danger until you establish that there is no head/spine/hip, etc. type injury or pain.....

Here are some photos of our helicopter adventure. Luckily Misty got prompt care and is recovering at University Hospital in Salt Lake.

Misty Finn, one of our MFFW members, had a tragic hand crushing injury on the Z-turn above Mirror Gulch on the trail on Labor Day. When the Jeep attempted the obstacle, it flopped on its side and Misty’s hand connected between the roll bar and the rock. She was sitting in the back seat of a 4 door JK.

After I came back to the scene from the overlook, I saw that her hand injury was the type that required an air flight as the blood supply was cut off to the thumb. Gene Day did a great job in getting in touch with search and rescue, he even used a smoke grenade, something most Jeepers don’t typically carry.

Misty was unhurt except for her hand and once we got her out of the Jeep and provided shade, she showed her tough but sweet nature, apologizing for causing any troubles and then laughing at some of our very bad jokes in spite of significant pain. Thanks to all who helped out in this rescue.

The helicopter was St. Mary’s airflight from Grand Junction but she has been taken to a regional hand center, University Hospital in Salt Lake City for surgery. She is likely in for a long recovery and could use prayers and positive energy. For those of you who don’t know Misty, she is engaged to another one of our members, Dave Adams. They are to be married on October 1st.

The view of the flop. The roll cage is still against the rock that crushed Misty’s hand

Shade was created while we waited. A Canyonland’s park ranger arrives.

Signalling the helicopter Here it comes.

Gene sets off his smoke grenade The copter lands in our established zone.

The BLM officer records information on the crash. The group transporting Misty to the helicopter

After it leaves………………….. we pull the Jeep back over.

Remember that when an injury occurs, you might have limited time. Give each person a job and let them do it. Get in touch with Search and Rescue as soon as possible and keep the patient calm and as comfortable as you can. Don't give them much in the way of fluids or medications, wait for the experts. Realize that you could be stuck in the backcountry with a seriously injured person for hours. Do you have a first aid kit? Is someone in your group versed in first aid? Do you know what to do if your buddy is hurt? When playing with 2 ton toys, it only takes a second. Be prepared!

Thanks,
Melissa

The driver and trail leaders all had to go to the hospital for mandatory drug and alcohol screenings. Realize if you drink on the trail and someone gets hurt, you're in a world of trouble. Our groups always keep it clean but I have seen many folks drinking and driving on the trail. You will be prosecuted and its just not worth it.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Great tech thread. This is info we all need. I hope she recovers fully, and the helicopter ride doesn't put her into bankruptcy.

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
This is great info! I am so sorry for your friend but I am glad it only ended up being her hand. Thanks again! We have been in a similar situation and ALWAYS have our first aid kit with us on trails, but the one and ONLY time we failed to bring it someone got a head injury. I felt horrible so we always restock and bring it on every trail.

Misty is such a trooper....she was still joking around before the surgeries! Thanks for posting the story Melissa. It's a good reminder to all of us that accidents can happen regardless of how prepared or "good" you are.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
First off, best of luck to Misty and I hope she has a quick recovery!
Second, way to go guys, sounds like you had the situation under control.

I'm actually one that does carry a smoke signal, as well as a flare gun with both flares and smoke rounds. Additionally I've carried a satellite phone and always have a HAM radio along for the ride too. It doesn't guarantee we will make contact but its a great start.

I was leading a group of ~30 participants on a 3 day San Rafael Swell trip this spring, pretty much right in the heart of the Swell, geographically split between Green River and Ferron. On day 2 a participant of our group took a minor slip as he was walking back from a bathroom break. Turns out he struck his head pretty good, was feeling dizzy, losing a fair amount of blood and likely in need of stitches. I was able to make contact with the Emery County 911 service, they directed us to the nearest emergency care facility and called ahead to have them ready for our incoming patient. It was not life threatening so we had his wife drive their rig and 2 additional group members lead and follow them off the trail and into town. They had him cleaned up, stitched and back on the road within an hour of his arrival and he was back around the campfire that evening.

We were lucky to have several particpants that had EMT training, something I do not. Yet, anyway and it really opened my eyes to the need for some more formal training. I've taken a handful of first aid classes, one of which was actually a Combat Lifesaver Course, while it wasn't your typical first aid class, it was actually more appropriate for off-road vehicle type injuries? Basically patch them up to keep them breathing and make evacuating and professional care the priority. I'm enrolled in a Wilderness First Aid class this next week, its a 16hr class aimed at scout leaders, river guides, hikers, etc. (If anyone is interested I can get you the registration link) From there I'm going to look into taking a comprehensive 40 hr Wilderness First Responder course. You can never be too prepared.

Again guys, way to handle the situation and get well soon Misty!

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Good Job guys, and thanks for posting this up...Ive always been one to advocate preventing these things from happening, but they happen just the same, and this is a good example to us as to how to be prepared. and a reminder that accidents can and will happen.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Again best of luck with the recovery and great work to all that helped out!

I have been involved with a few accidents (at lest one fatal) requiring life flight over the years mostly at the Sand Dunes. The world seems to stop turning when someone is injured and needs quick medical attention. Sometimes its really hard to do but staying calm is crutial and really helps in the long run. Knowing CPR is a valuable tool also ;)

Houndoc

Hope recovery goes well, and thanks for the great reminder on the importance of playing it safe, and being prepared when things go wrong.

Twisted

NEEDAMONEYTREE
Great work! Will be praying for a full & speedy recovery! Great reminder that being prepared doesn't just mean being prepared to have fun! Gotta look at the whole picture when you're packing for a wheelin trip. :cool:

Again, great job! Best wishes to Misty!

SubLime Time

A Study in Black & Green
That happened to me up Little Cottonwood Canyon, only I grabbed the roll bar as we rolled. Crushed every finger, had pins and icky stuff, they're all fine except the pointer but if you don't know, you can't tell it doesn't quite work right. That was about 30 years ago, so I'm sure they've made tons of progress in treatment. Stay strong Misty!

ZUKEYPR

Been there and done it, I'm intimate with the flight crew of St Mary's. Hope she has a speedy recovery. Unforetunately the real pain hasn't come yet. it will though in the mail in a few weeks. Life Flight alone exceeds 17 G's.

rondo

rondo
My responsible side says: great job, i believe someone here provided excellent leadership and that person or others were well prepared.
My american side says: i can't believe they can require one to take a mandatory drug/blood alcohol screening? I personally think that is a violation of ones rights.
My man side says: more pictures of the ranger :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My responsible side says: great job, i believe someone here provided excellent leadership and that person or others were well prepared.
My american side says: i can't believe they can require one to take a mandatory drug/blood alcohol screening? I personally think that is a violation of ones rights.
My man side says: more pictures of the ranger :)

:rofl: Great post. :D

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Thanks guys, for those who don't know, Misty is my fiancee and as Melissa stated, we're getting married October 1st. And you're all invited; Wedding info

We have been thoroughly awed by the enormous outpouring of love, support, and prayers we have received on behalf of Misty! Jeepers make the best friends!!!

On a side note: NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER HOLD ONTO A FABRIC ROLL-BAR-MOUNTED GRAB HANDLE ON THE TRAIL!!!!!!!! That is how her injury happened; she was in the back of a 4-door JK, which have NO good spots to hold onto, and as we rolled the grab handle swung out just enough to get her hand between the roll bar and the rock.

The roll bar caught her hand just above her wrist, breaking her pinky and ring finger right above her wrist, as well as shattering her thumb. It also peeled all the skin off the tip of her pinky exposing the bone and ripped open her thumb from the webbing on the inside all the way through the meaty part and half way around the top.

The end result was two 4 hour surgeries, first was to set all the bones and amputate her pinky at the third knuckle. Second was to re-establish blood flow to her thumb by grafting in a vein from her forearm to replace a destroyed artery and putting a skin graft over the injury. She was in the hospital for 8 days so they could monitor her thumb.

They hope for a good recovery and her thumb to regain most use after extensive physical therapy.

For those with strong stomachs, here are pictures from Tuesday just before they released her. I guess skin grafts are normally gray like that. The pics are on Facebook, not sure if you must be a member to see them or not.

Misty's hand