What to do with some $1.21 gas

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On the old 72 Jeep I am working on I dropped the gas tank and found that there was still gas in it. The last time this jeep was on the road was back in 1984 when gas cost $1.21. Needless to say this gas was very bad and the tank is in serious need of a cleaning job. I picked up a tank from another jeep that had been off the road for seven years and it isn't much better. Does anyone have any ideas what I could clean the tank with ? Its coated with a crusty brown layer inside. Oh and what do I do with 5 gallons of extra "special" brown colored gas ?

rollover

Most radiator repair shops can boil the tank for you.
Intermountain Radiator, J-Mac Radiator and State Street Radiator IIRC.
They can clean and weld up holes in the tank. If needed they can coat the inside of the tank as well.

DAA

Yup, radiator shop can save the tank if it can be saved.

I use old gas for killing weeds, washing tools/parts, starting fires etc. If it has any volatility left, which maybe it doesn't after 30 years, you can put it in an open five gallon bucket and leave it out in the sun and you'd be surprised how quick it all disappears.

- DAA

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Having tried to clean a gas tank. It maybe cheaper to just get a new one. The radiator shop in Ogden quoted me $125+ to clean one for a Mercedes. Mine had been the winner of a bag of sugar at some point. I just ended up using a pressure washer at the carwash to get it all cleaned out.