Archived What trails you running this year?

Coco

As EJS comes closer and closer, what trails is everyone planning on running?

We are doing a couple:
Golden Spike
Moab Rim
Rose Garden Hill (never done this one)

We are heading down the wednesday during EJS week, and staying til tuesday the following week.:D

Cant wait!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
so i was reading the rr4w schedule here so i can do trails without registering and i understand they have exclusive use on several trails so i assume that means they are a no go for me even if there isn't a scheduled trail ride... is that right?
just looking to get it all worked out, thanks

Brett

Meat-Hippy
so i was reading the rr4w schedule here so i can do trails without registering and i understand they have exclusive use on several trails so i assume that means they are a no go for me even if there isn't a scheduled trail ride... is that right?

Correct

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter

No. If the trail is not being run by the RR4W's then the trail is open. The biggest problem has been PS,GS,GBR since the BLM considers this one trail not three so if any of those trails are being run they are all technically closed to the public. We had monitors on the trail at the end of the week and Big Saturday but there were problems. GBR which my wife lead on Friday was eliminated so the general public now can be on GS and GBR. Rusty Nail was part of this and now is back open for Friday. The restrictions on Hells Revenge, Strike Ravine and Kane Creek are one way only for the 9 days but not closed to the public. Pritchett, Gold Bar Rim, Poison Spider, Golden Spike and Moab Rim are closed to the public while the permitted groups are on the trail. Hope this helps.
Todd

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
perfect, thank you. i saw that triple threat(ps/gbr/gs) was open on friday but still exclusive use so i was confused/mildly irritated. my new sissy snowflake soccer mom grocery getter xj can't rock with the big boys so trail selection is super limited this year which is a new, not so great sensation for me.

i am glad that i can run that on friday and if anyone else wants in let me know. i am also planning on hells revenge on weds, moab rim on thurs. saturday and sunday i have to figure out still.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Their speadsheet is a little confusing. The pink color means exclusive use, and the x shows what day they are hosting trail rides on that trail. So which is it? What days can the public go on the trail?
Is it off limits just when there is a "x" on that day?
Can you hit that trail that is marked "x" after the RR4w are done with it as in years past( later that day)?

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Their speadsheet is a little confusing. The pink color means exclusive use, and the x shows what day they are hosting trail rides on that trail. So which is it? What days can the public go on the trail?
Is it off limits just when there is a "x" on that day?
Can you hit that trail that is marked "x" after the RR4w are done with it as in years past( later that day)?

I forgot that Cliffhanger and Behind the Rocks were exclusive trails besides the ones i mentioned. According to the permit the BLM gives exclusive use to the RR4W’s and others permitted for the date that is scheduled. The club has not had a problem if you wait for them to finish the trail but the club does not issue tickets. If it were me, I would stay off any trail they had use of for that day. Following is the section of the permit that applies. This has been logged into the federal registry and any LEO as far as I understand it can issue a ticket to violators.

51. BLM permittees will have exclusive motorized
use of the following routes on a day on which
a Jeep Safari “run” is scheduled: Behind the
Rocks, Cliffhanger, Gold Bar Rim, Golden
Spike, Moab Rim, Poison Spider and Pritchett
Canyon. For example, if a Jeep Safari run is
scheduled on Behind the Rocks on April 7,
only Jeep Safari and other permitted motorized
vehicles can travel on this route on that date.
It is the responsibility of the Red Rock 4-
Wheelers to clearly sign and implement these
routes

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
SO todd, if i were to get up early and go on these could I get on

If the trail is identified as exclusive use and there is an RR4W run scheduled, no, you're not allowed to do it.

My advice is that you select a day and a trail that does not conflict in any way with the RR4W event. You might not like it, but as a guy who has towed my jeep over 2000 miles to have a guided tour, then to have some local dude (not part of the registered participants) break in the middle of high dive - delaying our group for almost 2 hours - it really sucks and makes it a lot less fun for those who travel so far.

Having said all of that, Only two of the last 9 EJS I have attended did I drive the 2000 miles, and only one of them did I tow my rig. I'm just trying to make a point. You're at least relatively local, so give the travelers a break and let them use the trails that have been identified.

And the situation with the local guy broken on high dive - it really did happen. Worse, they actually drove around on the county road to get in front of the RR4W group.

It's not that hard to accommodate the RR4W event, just takes a little more planning than usual.

krany

kranberry
As EJS comes closer and closer, what trails is everyone planning on running?

We are doing a couple:
Golden Spike
Moab Rim
Rose Garden Hill (never done this one)

We are heading down the wednesday during EJS week, and staying til tuesday the following week.:D

Cant wait!
i will be with you on this one......literally:rofl:

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
So on that spread sheet where the RR4w have placed an "X" Does that denotes that it is off limits? Or is the pink band doenote off limits?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
SO todd, if i were to get up early and go on these could I get on

If the trail is identified as exclusive use and there is an RR4W run scheduled, no, you're not allowed to do it.

Not completely true... If you got going early enough that the people blocking the trail fealt you would not be a hinderance, then they will let you continue on. Like last year, several hit Golden Spike way early and were able to run it before the EJS group got there.

But yes, you are technically correct, but you can get there a few hours early and most likely get to go. It's really up to the monitors the way I understand it...

Me, a few guys I met during and Clifton's group knew that EJS guys were on Poison Spyder Mesa one day, so we all drove in to run Rusty Nail. We were denied because of the 3 trails=1 rule. Even though all 15 or so of us weren't even goign to be a mile from the group, we couldn't continue on. The part that had us irritated (and no, we didn't vent), is that most of the guys had to pay for parking out at the road not knowing it would be closed. So maybe this year, if the RR4W could put a sign up at the staging area, that would be super cool!

TimB

Homesick
Last edited:

aRedRocker

Designated Texican
If you go to this link, the "X" means the trail is being used by the club that day.
http://centralpt.com/upload/329/7350_2009_EJSTrails_spreadsheet.pdf

Looks like Friday is the only day you can run PS, GBR, GS, or rusty nail. And the other 51 weeks in the year.

Yep, it's a real pain to have forty vehicles you're responsible for sitting while some doofus is broken and blocking the trail. The club does thousands of hours of work to put this show on the road, it's very much appreciated if you cut the registered trails some slack. ;)

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Not completely true... If you got going early enough that the people blocking the trail fealt you would not be a hinderance, then they will let you continue on. Like last year, several hit Golden Spike way early and were able to run it before the EJS group got there.

But yes, you are technically correct, but you can get there a few hours early and most likely get to go. It's really up to the monitors the way I understand it...

Me, a few guys I met during and Clifton's group knew that EJS guys were on Poison Spyder Mesa one day, so we all drove in to run Rusty Nail. We were denied because of the 3 trails=1 rule. Even though all 15 or so of us weren't even goign to be a mile from the group, we couldn't continue on. The part that had us irritated (and no, we didn't vent), is that most of the guys had to pay for parking out at the road not knowing it would be closed. So maybe this year, if the RR4W could put a sign up at the staging area, that would be super cool!
Keep in mind that is not the RR4W's but the BLM that could write you a ticket for being on a trail that is closed to the general public even if you go early and someone else does not have a problem with it. With that being said I doubt it would be any problem but the ruling is now part of the National Federal Registry and they (the land manager LEO's) could hold you in violation. Just an FYI.
I have heard of tickets being issued on the Rubicon when the Jamboree has exclusive use

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Keep in mind that is not the RR4W's but the BLM that could write you a ticket for being on a trail that is closed to the general public even if you go early and someone else does not have a problem with it. With that being said I doubt it would be any problem but the ruling is now part of the National Federal Registry and they (the land manager LEO's) could hold you in violation. Just an FYI.
I have heard of tickets being issued on the Rubicon when the Jamboree has exclusive use

THat makes sense.. I just assumed the RR4W woudl complain and then said person would be ticketed. Didn't think that the BLM would ticket regardless of if RR4W had a complaint or not...

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
You will be fine if you just plan around the scheduled trails.
and the trails that are one way in and out will be the ones that will all be exclusive to rr4w but if you are going early in the week the trails don't always fill up and there are some small groups so they might let you on early and as long as it is not one way in and out you can always follow