What's a good length for a car hauler?

notajeep

Just me
Seems like most people like a min of 16' with some as big as 22' or 24'.
along the same lines..... a 16' trailer with a 2' dovetail is: 16' with 2' of it slanted or is it 18' total, 16' flat and 2' slanted?

Caleb

I have a 16' and its nice cause its easy to tow and manuver(sp?) but I want something more along the lines of 22-24' cause I want to be able to fit my buggy and two fourwheeler sized rigs ;)

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
Also 16' wanting 24'. Bigger is always better. It's always better to take it with you than leave it home.
Dove tails are great for a 'Vette or car. Useless with 4X4's (in my opinion).

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Anything 16' and up will work fine, and dont forget the brakes. The width can be an issue, unless you dont mind doing a little fender squishing. :D Keep that in mind, if you're running full width.

Cody said:
16. I've loaded my jeep and a small motorcycle on mine.

Cody

Caleb

dunatic67 said:
Dove tails are great for a 'Vette or car. Useless with 4X4's (in my opinion).

true, but its always nice to have the option to haul whatever. Thats kinda like the open center VS. full deck debate...one is more limited at what it can do.

muleskinner

Iv'e owned an 18 and now a 20 and I like the 20 better. I can haul my 4runner and 2 4wheelers at the same time, plus all the coolers and gear I want. (or 6 wheelers ;) ) My 20 has the deck over the wheels and has a TON more room than a conventional trailer. My full width axles with 14.50 tires still have 3-4 inches on either side. A lot of people are weary of the height on an over the deck trailer, but its never been an issue for me. (even with an 02 powerstroke on it) :D But like Hicky said make sure you have room to store whatever you get.

Caleb

As Hickey said, you need to consider where it will be stored...thats my biggest draw back is at my house I have zero room for storage...so mine has to be stored at my parents...that sucks big time.

Not to change the subject but without going deck over, whats the widest you can get between the fenders? I'm 83" between fenders and I was led to believe this is just about the max you can be and keep the overall width legal? Anyone know? With fulldwidth axles and 13.5" tires and 4.5" of BS I can BARELY squeeze through, in fact I'm 84" outside to outside of tires so I really have to squeeze.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been thinking about doing deckover for the next trailer. You are right about the added height, it really doesn't make much difference, as long as you aren't hauling tall loads on it, like big hay bales or what not.