What's a good length for a car hauler?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Supergper said:
Not to change the subject but without going deck over, whats the widest you can get between the fenders? I'm 83" between fenders and I was led to believe this is just about the max you can be and keep the overall width legal? Anyone know? With fulldwidth axles and 13.5" tires and 4.5" of BS I can BARELY squeeze through, in fact I'm 84" outside to outside of tires so I really have to squeeze.
Pretty much 83" is all you are going to get between the fenders. Overall it must be 102" or under. Unless you want to buy a wide load permit... and you don't. That is why a deckover is appealing. you can have a 102" wide deck.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
I've been thinking about doing deckover for the next trailer. You are right about the added height, it really doesn't make much difference, as long as you aren't hauling tall loads on it, like big hay bales or what not.

I've hauled a LOT of hay on a 5th wheel deck over.........

Caleb

Hickey said:
Pretty much 83" is all you are going to get between the fenders. Overall it must be 102" or under. Unless you want to buy a wide load permit... and you don't. That is why a deckover is appealing. you can have a 102" wide deck.

yeah, I just don't like the height of the deck over...however I think mine is a little low...it would be a good car hauler :D

38inchtj

my jeep goes in a 24 foot charmac inclosed trailer really nice to have it but the down sides are it is way heavy 5500 pounds empty and the top has to be off the jeep with the tires aired down to 4 pounds to fit it in and the roll bar still rubbs the going in

R

rockdog

I vote 27 foot gooseneck. :D Can haul two rigs a once. Priced fuel lately? I figure I'm just do'n my part to conserve our nations fuel supply. :rofl: :rofl:

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I have a 14 ft trailer and it is nice to tow and store (you can stick it anywhere), but I'm going to sell it for a 16 that's a couple inches wider. It's a tight squeeze with my 77 Bronco and I've put full size long bed trucks on it and they hang over both ends. I can still store a 16 and then I can haul other vehicles with no problem.

utahxjer

38inchtj said:
my jeep goes in a 24 foot charmac inclosed trailer really nice to have it but the down sides are it is way heavy 5500 pounds empty and the top has to be off the jeep with the tires aired down to 4 pounds to fit it in and the roll bar still rubbs the going in
damn, money bags...

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
utahxjer said:
How long are your trailers? What are some good lengths and pros/cons?

I haven't read all the replies yet ... but a good size is what you can pull (and stop) and carries everything you need :)

Our car hauler will fit my jeep and a few other things (not vehicles) on it.